• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

JetDirect/Port 9100 support

Started by madcrow, 2011.12.13, 17:13:04

Previous topic - Next topic

madcrow

I have a printer on my network that I'd like to use from OS/2. While drivers aren't a problem (it will process PCL5/5e), getting data to the printer has proved tricky. The printer uses a Port 9100/JetDirect-clone interface as its main network interface (it also claims to speak LPD, but I can't get it to work) and JetAdmin for OS/2 (which provided the port drivers for the raw TCP/IP printing scheme) seems to have vanished from the Internet... How does one go about adding support for this?

Pete

Hi madcrow

If the network interface has an ip address and a port name then maybe the SLPR printer port will work  http://kimludvigsen.dk/os2/gfd/sys/prnt/slpr.exe

Regards

Pete

RobertM

OS/2 has native support, which can be found on the install CDs. Advanced setup will I believe give you the options panel where you can install it. If not, I know it's provided in Warp Server v4 (though, I've installed it in the past, and not on a WS machine).

Additional files can be found here:
http://www.os2site.com/sw/drivers/printer/laser/index.html

A firmware update for the JetDirect may be required. If it's a clone that's not identically compatible, therein may lie the problem.

Regardless, LPD/LPR support in OS/2 should be sufficient to get it working, but be aware, there are fixpacks that may be required (some as recent as 2000 or 2001 if memory serves).

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

ALT

JetDirect and LPR/LPD are different protocols (although they both run over TCP/IP).  To the best of my knowledge, SLPR (and LPR32, and LPRPORTD) supports LPR/LPD only.

The link Robert provided seems to have the OS/2 JetDirect stuff so that may be what you want. 

OTOH, CUPS certainly supports JetDirect (although they refer to it as "AppSocket"), so if all else fails you could install CUPS and print through that.

RobertM

Also, not sure, but CUPS for eCS may support it as well. It does on other platforms.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

RobertM

Quote from: ALT on 2011.12.15, 10:07:59
JetDirect and LPR/LPD are different protocols (although they both run over TCP/IP).  To the best of my knowledge, SLPR (and LPR32, and LPRPORTD) supports LPR/LPD only.

And the JetDirect stuff - when connecting via OS/2 and using LPR. ;) Or so HP claims. For instructions on using LPR/LPD to communicate with an HP JetDirect, see HP's page here:
HP JetDirect OS/2 LPR page
- Now, there are some JetDirects that do not support LPD or IPP - and only support AppSocket (aka "HP JetDirect"), but not many. As for clone JetDirects, notta clue.

Documentation that may be suitable for the JetDirect stuff at the previous link can be found here:
Technical Document # - 6104819

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

jep

Hello,

Thank you for the links RobertM, I've been looking for links how and what to do to get JetDirect to be able to find my network HP printer. Hope to have the time during XMas to look at it. :)

//Jan-Erik

David McKenna

I have been using the SLPR printer port with a JetDirect print server and HP DeskJet 990C on eCS for years and it works great.

First install the printer driver and assign it to any available port. Then right-click on the printer object just created, choose 'Properties', then 'Output Port', then 'Install New Port'. Click on the 'SLPR' icon, then 'Install'. The icon should now appear in the list on the 'Output Port' page and a properties dialog comes up. Put the IP address of the JetDirect in the 'LPD Server' entry. I put 'LPT1' in the 'LPD Printer' entry (this may vary depending on your particular JetDirect Unit). You could also try the 'High Performance' checkbox.

Now make sure the 'SLPR' port is hi-lited on the 'Output Port' page of your new printer object and you should be ready to try printing.

Another way to go is install CUPS. It has a JetDirect backend built in. I have recently switched to using this and it also works great - especially using the HPLIP drivers from Paul Smedley and Alex Taylor's PSPRINT Postscript driver. It is kinda tricky to install though - see http://svn.netlabs.org/ecups if you want to give it a go. Well worth it IMHO.

Regards,

Dave McKenna

RobertM

Take note of David's post. If your JetDirect clone does not support using SLPR (as even some few HP JetDirects do not), then you will have to use CUPS... what you will be looking to use is its AppSocket support.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

rudi