• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Old man needs lots of help

Started by marcbryant, 2011.12.17, 01:23:48

Previous topic - Next topic

marcbryant

Funny back about 30 years ago I was helping others with O/2 problems.  Guess it's my turn.

Here's a short description of my system.  Intel board, 3.2 ghz 2 mb ram. IDE Samsung burner, scsi Plextor burner. Tekram scsi card.  On board sound doesn't work.  Put in a used SB clone which worked fine.  Was running E-Com 1.2. Also have VPC for OS/2.  Every thing worked fine under 1.2.  It took me 3 tries to install 2.1 but finally got it installed. Had an I/O error one time and then it quit working after the first phase. What I am doing is putting in 2 new scsi hard drives and restoring the programs back on to the new drives wherein these problems arose.

Problem 1: I know I can't get on-line even though I thought I had the correct box checked during install.  (I use AT&T DSL). My backup mail program gives me an unable to connect message.

Problem 2: Can't start Firefox 8.01, tried 6.x and 4.x. Get an error message that Firefox is currently running and has to be closed or the system needs to be restarted. Tried cold boot. No go.

Problem 3: CDwriter control (Cdrwsel) front end for RSJ ver 5.05 only shows the Plextor scsi drive now. Before it showed both the scsi drive and the IDE drive.

Problem 4:VPC has and error message upon start up that it couldn't open the emulated ethernet driver. This error may be related to problem 1.

Problem 5: My main mail program is showing it is not registered (PMMail).  I know there is a short cut to get the registration key in as cut and paste doesn't work.

Problem 6: No sound.  Worked fine under 1.2.  Checked config.sys statements and they are the same in 1.2 and 2.1.

Any and all help would sure be appreciated.

thanks,

Marc

Pete

Hi marcbryant

Problem 1: I suggest you post the contents of the [BootDrive]:\MPTN\BIN\SETUP.CMD file in the hope that someone can spot an error. Is the required nic driver loading at boot?

Problem2: I had Seamonkey failing to start when my internet connection failed recently - seamonkey was not in the Window List but seamonkey.exe was in the Process List. Maybe curing Problem 1 will cure this as well.

Problem 3: Post the RSJ related lines from the config.sys file.

Problem 4: Yes, my guess is that VPC is not finding a connection during initialisation. Curing Problem 1 is probably the answer.

Problem 5: Sorry cannot help with this 1

Problem 6: Several Options available

a] Try a later driver build from http://svn.netlabs.org/uniaud - go for the Complete Package option to make sure all files are "in synch"

b] Install the known working build from [eCS1.2 Install CD]:\CID\SERVER\MMECS\DRIVERS\UNIAUD\

Hope the above gives some starting points.

Regards

Pete

marcbryant

Hi Pete,

I think the nic is loading.  Goes by so fast.  The setup.cmd in mptn\bin didn't really show anything. Here are the contents of setup.tcip in the same directory.

route -fh
arp -f
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
REM ifconfig lan0
REM ifconfig lan1
REM ifconfig lan2
REM ifconfig lan3
REM ifconfig lan4
REM ifconfig lan5
REM ifconfig lan6
REM ifconfig lan7
REM ifconfig sl0
DHCPSTRT -i lan0

Here's the config sys entries for RSJ

BASEDEV=OS2ASPI.DMD
BASEDEV=RSJIDECD.FLT
BASEDEV=LOCKCDR.FLT
DEVICE=C:\CDWFS\RSJSCSI.SYS
IFS=C:\CDWFS\CDWFS.IFS
RUN=C:\CDWFS\CDWFSD.EXE -p "C:/var/temp" -c20000 -b2048 -t2 -i3 -s0

Help this helps,

Marc

RobertM

Hi Marc,

Which NIC card please?

Try the following for RSJ:

BASEDEV=OS2ASPI.DMD /ALL
BASEDEV=RSJIDECD.FLT
REM BASEDEV=LOCKCDR.FLT
REM DEVICE=C:\CDWFS\RSJSCSI.SYS

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

DougB

QuoteProblem 5: My main mail program is showing it is not registered (PMMail).  I know there is a short cut to get the registration key in as cut and paste doesn't work.

Which version of PMMail? If it is pre version 3.0, you need to read the e-mail that tells you what the registration is, and how to apply it. If it is the current version (3.0 plus), you need to do the same. Read the e-mail that tells you what the registration code is, and how to apply it (make a file out of the registration code, call it pmm-regn.key, and put it into the Accounts directory). If you have lost the old PMMail (pre v.3.0) registration, you are probably out of luck. If you have lost the registration for PMMail post v.3.0, you need to email treasurer (at) os2voice.org to get a replacement. If you need to acquire a new PMMail v.3,x registration (highly recommended), read the contents of http://pmmail.os2voice.org/index.php?title=PMMail_for_OS/2

Chances are, that PMMail isn't going to work until you fix your internet connection.

Good luck...

Pete

Hi marcbryant

For RSJ:-

get rid of the config.sys line BASEDEV=RSJIDECD.FLT - I take it you are using the BASEDEV=DANIATAP.FLT line which makes the RSJ line redundant.
change config.sys line BASEDEV=OS2ASPI.DMD to BASEDEV=OS2ASPI.DMD /ALL - may not be necessary but works here.

You may also find that you have BASEDEV=OS2SCSI.DMD which you probably don't need as you are using the above os2aspi.dmd line.

Not sure what is wrong with your internet connection...

If the setup.tcip is exactly the same as setup.cmd it should work as long as the nic is loading.

To check the nic is loading at boot simply add a "pause" line such as:-

DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\PAUSEIT.SYS

Add the above line just after the nic driver line. When the system discovers the file PAUSEIT.SYS does *NOT* exist it will stop booting and display an error onscreen giving you the chance to check whether the nic loaded - or not.

You could also check the DHCP Monitor in Desktop -> Local System -> System Setup -> Network -> tcpip to see if DHCP is working and check configuration.

Regards

Pete

marcbryant

Ok, I did what you all told me to do. The on board nic is Intel and it appears to be loading.  Couldn't find the line in the config.sys file so I enclosed the whole file.  Cdsel still shows only the one burner (SCSI) though when I open the "drives" folder it shows both cd drives which is nice.

Something is wrong with the tcpip settings as MPTS gives an error message saying that tcp/ip is not configuired. The DDNS comes back with an error "Client has not been initialized by a DHCP server.

About PMMail, it is version 3.06.  I found that if I drop the reg.key file on the pmmail.exe file it regesters it and all my accounts show up.  However when I close and open the program it reverts back to a demo version.

I hope I have given you fellows enough information.

Again, Thanks for the help.

Marc

Here's my config file:

REM [ Device Drivers ]
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\UNICODE.SYS
IFS=C:\OS2\JFS.IFS /LW:5,20,4 /AUTOCHECK:*
IFS=C:\OS2\HPFS.IFS /CACHE:2048 /CRECL:4 /AUTOCHECK:*
IFS=C:\ECS\BOOT\FAT32.IFS /CACHE:2048 /H /Q /EAS
DEVICE=C:\IBMCOM\PROTOCOL\LANPDD.OS2
REM DEVICE=C:\IBMCOM\PROTOCOL\LANVDD.OS2
IFS=C:\OS2\BOOT\UDF.IFS /Q
IFS=C:\OS2\BOOT\CDFS.IFS /Q /W
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\OS2CDROM.DMD /Q
DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VCDROM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\IBMCOM\LANMSGDD.OS2 /I:C:\IBMCOM /S
DEVICE=C:\IBMCOM\PROTMAN.OS2 /I:C:\IBMCOM
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\TESTCFG.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\DOS.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\PMDD.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VEMM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VXMS.SYS /UMB
DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VDPMI.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VDPX.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VWIN.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VW32S.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\APM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VAPM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VMOUSE.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\POINTDD.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\MOUSE.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\COM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VCOM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBPRT.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBMOUSE.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBKBD.SYS
REM DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\USBCOM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\MPTN\PROTOCOL\SOCKETSK.SYS
DEVICE=C:\MPTN\PROTOCOL\AFOS2.SYS
DEVICE=C:\MPTN\PROTOCOL\AFINETK.SYS
REM DEVICE=C:\MPTN\BIN\VDOSTCP.VDD
DEVICE=C:\IBMCOM\PROTOCOL\TCPBEUI.OS2
DEVICE=C:\IBMLAN\NETPROG\RDRHELP.200
IFS=C:\IBMLAN\NETPROG\NETWKSTA.200 /I:C:\IBMLAN /N
REM DEVICE=C:\IBMCOM\PROTOCOL\NETBIOS.OS2
DEVICE=C:\IBMCOM\MACS\E100B.OS2
DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VSVGA.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\GRADD.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\MDOS\VMANWIN.SYS
DEVICE=C:\OS2\SDDHELP.SYS /Q
REM DEVICE=C:\IBMLAN\NETPROG\VNETAPI.OS2
REM DEVICE=C:\TCPIP\bin\vdostcp.sys
DEVICE=C:\MMOS2\ssmdd.sys /S:64 /P:64 /H:256 /Q:1024 /E:1024
DEVICE=C:\MMOS2\r0stub.sys
DEVICE=C:\MMOS2\MMPLAYER\midi.sys
DEVICE=C:\MMOS2\vcshdd.sys
IFS=C:\ECS\BOOT\EVFS.IFS
DEVICE=C:\ecs\boot\USBRESMG.SYS
REM [ Base Device Drivers ]
BASEDEV=BOOTDLY.SYS
BASEDEV=IBMKBD.SYS
BASEDEV=TIMER0.SYS
BASEDEV=PRINT01.SYS
BASEDEV=CHKDSK.SYS
BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBUHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBEHCD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBD.SYS
BASEDEV=USBHID.SYS
BASEDEV=CADH.SYS
BASEDEV=DANIS506.ADD /!BIOS
BASEDEV=SYM_HI.ADD
BASEDEV=AIC7870.ADD
BASEDEV=IBM1FLPY.ADD
REM  BASEDEV=IBM2FLPY.ADD
BASEDEV=USBMSD.ADD /REMOVABLES:8 /FLOPPIES:1
BASEDEV=DANIATAP.FLT
BASEDEV=OS2DASD.DMD
BASEDEV=OS2LVM.DMD
BASEDEV=OS2SCSI.DMD
REM [ Paths ]
LIBPATH=.;C:\CDWFS;C:\IBMLAN\NETLIB;C:\MUGLIB\DLL;C:\ECS\DLL;C:\EMX\DLL;C:\OS2\DLL;C:\MPTN\DLL;C:\TCPIP\DLL;C:\IBMCOM\DLL;C:\IBMGSK50\LIB;C:\IBMGSK40\LIB;C:\IBMGSK\LIB;C:\OS2\MDOS;C:\;C:\OS2\APPS\DLL;C:\MMOS2\DLL;C:\MMOS2\FREEDB;e:\systools\prompt;
SET PATH=C:\MPTN\BIN;C:\ECS\BIN;C:\TCPIP\BIN;C:\IBMCOM;C:\IBMLAN\NETPROG;C:\MUGLIB;C:\EMX\BIN;C:\IBMGSK50\BIN;C:\IBMGSK40\BIN;C:\IBMGSK\BIN;C:\OS2;C:\OS2\SYSTEM;C:\OS2\MDOS\WINOS2;C:\OS2\INSTALL;C:\;C:\OS2\MDOS;C:\OS2\APPS;C:\ECS\KLIBC\BIN;E:\PROGRAMS\JAVA142\BIN;C:\MMOS2\FREEDB;C:\MMOS2;C:\MMOS2\MMPLAYER;C:\CDWFS;
REM SET PATH=C:\MPTN\BIN;C:\TCPIP\BIN;C:\IBMCOM;C:\IBMLAN\NETPROG;C:\MUGLIB;C:\ECS\BIN;C:\EMX\BIN;C:\IBMGSK50\BIN;C:\IBMGSK40\BIN;C:\IBMGSK\BIN;C:\OS2;C:\OS2\SYSTEM;C:\OS2\MDOS\WINOS2;C:\OS2\INSTALL;C:\;C:\OS2\MDOS;C:\OS2\APPS;C:\ECS\KLIBC\BIN;E:\PROGRAMS\JAVA142\BIN;C:\MMOS2\FREEDB;C:\MMOS2;C:\MMOS2\MMPLAYER;C:\CDWFS;
SET DPATH=C:\MPTN;C:\IBMCOM;C:\IBMLAN\NETPROG;C:\IBMLAN;C:\MUGLIB;C:\ECS\LANG;C:\IBMCOM\MACS;C:\OS2;C:\OS2\SYSTEM;C:\OS2\MDOS\WINOS2;C:\OS2\INSTALL;C:\;C:\OS2\BITMAP;C:\OS2\MDOS;C:\OS2\APPS;C:\MMOS2;C:\MMOS2\INSTALL;
SET HELP=C:\MPTN;C:\MPTN\HELP;C:\ecs\help;C:\OS2\HELP;C:\ecs\system\ewps\help;C:\IBMLAN\NETPROG;C:\TCPIP\HELP;C:\MMOS2\HELP;C:\CDWFS;
SET ULSPATH=C:\LANGUAGE
SET BOOKSHELF=C:\IBMLAN\NETPROG;C:\OS2\BOOK;C:\ecs\book;C:\EMX\BOOK;C:\TCPIP\HELP;C:\MMOS2;
SET EPMPATH=C:\OS2\APPS;
SET NLSPATH=C:\MPTN\MSG\NLS\%N;C:\TCPIP\msg\ENUS850\%N;
SET LIBC_HOOK_DLLS=C:\OS2\DLL\klibccfg.dll@_kLIBCInitPath!pathrewrite
SET DMIPATH=C:\DMISL\BIN
SET CLASSPATH=C:\os2\javaapps\lvmgui.zip;C:\TCPIP\java;
SET NWDBPATH=C:\IBMLAN\NETPROG
SET DSPPATH=C:\MMOS2\DSP;
REM [ Device Information ]
DEVINFO=KBD,US103,C:\OS2\KEYBOARD.DCP
DEVINFO=SCR,VGA,C:\OS2\BOOT\VIOTBL.DCP
REM [ Kernel Directives ]
AUTOFAIL=YES
BREAK=OFF
BUFFERS=90
CLOCKSCALE=4
CODEPAGE=850,437
COUNTRY=001,C:\OS2\SYSTEM\COUNTRY.SYS
DISKCACHE=1024,LW,32
DOS=LOW,NOUMB
FCBS=16,8
FILES=64
IOPL=YES
MAXWAIT=1
MEMMAN=SWAP,PROTECT
PRINTMONBUFSIZE=134,134,134
PRIORITY_DISK_IO=YES
PROTECTONLY=NO
PROTSHELL=C:\OS2\PMSHELL.EXE
RESERVEDRIVELETTER=R
RMSIZE=640
SHELL=C:\OS2\MDOS\COMMAND.COM C:\OS2\MDOS
SUPPRESSPOPUPS=C
SWAPPATH=C:\OS2\SYSTEM 2048 2048
THREADS=1024
VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT=1536
REM [ Environment Variables ]
SET AUTOSTART=PROGRAMS,TASKLIST,FOLDERS
SET C1=SDDGRADD
SET COMSPEC=C:\OS2\CMD.EXE
REM SET DELDIR=C:\DELETE,512;D:\DELETE,512;E:\DELETE,512;F:\DELETE,512;S:\DELETE,512;T:\DELETE,512;Z:\DELETE,512;
SET DEVICEFONTDISABLED=NO
SET DIRCMD=/V
SET DISPLAYTYPE=VGA
SET DLSINI=C:\IBMLAN\NETPROG\NETGUI.INI
SET ENH_STRETCH=NO
SET ENH_SUSPEND=2
SET ETC=C:\MPTN\ETC
SET GLOSSARY=C:\OS2\HELP\GLOSS;
SET GRADD_CHAINS=C1
SET GREEXT=SDDGREXT
SET HOME=E:\HOME\DEFAULT
SET HOSTNAME=ECSMARC
SET IKEYMAN40_HOME=C:\IBMGSK40
SET IKEYMAN50_HOME=C:\IBMGSK50
SET IKEYMAN_HOME=C:\IBMGSK
SET INIT_FILE_NAMES=netgui
SET INIT_FILE_RANGES=200
SET IPF_KEYS=SBCS
SET JAVA_HIGH_MEMORY=1
SET JAVA_HOME=E:\PROGRAMS\JAVA142
SET KEYS=ON
SET LANG=en_US
SET LANINSTEP=S:\cid\server\IBMLS
SET LOGFILES=C:\var\log
SET MOZILLA_HOME=e:\HOME\DEFAULT
SET MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH=E:\MOZ_PLUG
SET MMBASE=C:\MMOS2;
SET MMSTREAM=/S:64 /P:64 /H:256 /Q:1024 /E:1024
SET MMYIELD=10
SET NCDEBUG=4000
SET NOLARGENTEXEICON=1
SET NSPR_OS2_NO_HIRES_TIMER=1
SET OS2_SHELL=C:\OS2\CMD.EXE
SET OS=ecs
SET OSDIR=C:\ecs
SET PROGRAMS=E:\PROGRAMS
SET PROMPT=[$p]
SET RESTARTOBJECTS=STARTUPFOLDERSONLY,REBOOTONLY
SET RUNWORKPLACE=C:\OS2\PMSHELL.EXE
SET SCCANBENUKED=ON
SET SCKILLFEATUREENABLED=ON
SET SHELLHANDLESINC=20
SET SMB_EXE=C:\ECS\SYSTEM\Samba
SET SOMDDIR=C:\OS2\ETC\DSOM
SET SOMIR=C:\OS2\ETC\SOM.IR;C:\OS2\ETC\WPSH.IR;C:\OS2\ETC\WPDSERV.IR;C:\OS2\ETC\REXX.IR;
SET SYSTEM_INI=C:\OS2\OS2SYS.INI
SET TCPLANG=en_US
SET TZ=PST8PDT,3,2,0,7200,11,1,0,7200,3600
SET UNZIPOPT=-C
SET USER=ECS_USER
SET USER_INI=C:\OS2\OS2.INI
SET USE_HOSTS_FIRST=1
SET VCFG_NO_DDC=TRUE
SET VIDEO_DEVICES=VIO_SVGA
SET VIO_SVGA=DEVICE(BVHVGA,BVHSVGA)
SET WPS_COMMUNICATION=YES
REM [ Executables ]
CALL=C:\ECS\BIN\CACHEF32.EXE /S /F
RUN=C:\OS2\SYSTEM\LVMALERT.EXE
RUN=C:\OS2\EXTENDFS.EXE *
RUN=C:\OS2\APMDAEMN.EXE
CALL=C:\IBMCOM\PROTOCOL\NETBIND.EXE
RUN=C:\IBMCOM\LANMSGEX.EXE
RUN=C:\MPTN\BIN\CNTRL.EXE
CALL=C:\OS2\CMD.EXE /Q /C C:\MPTN\BIN\MPTSTART.CMD >NUL
RUN=C:\IBMCOM\PROTOCOL\NBTCP.EXE
REM RUN=C:\MPTN\BIN\VDOSCTL.EXE
RUN=C:\OS2\SMSTART.EXE
RUN=C:\IBMLAN\NETPROG\LSDAEMON.EXE
RUN=C:\IBMLAN\NETPROG\VNRMINIT.EXE
RUN=C:\MMOS2\mmfix.exe
RUN=C:\MMOS2\mididmon.exe
RUN=C:\MMOS2\mmhelpdd.exe
RUN=C:\MMOS2\qrymmcd.exe
RUN=C:\ECS\BIN\EVFSCTL.EXE
REM [ Temporary Directories ]
SET TMP=C:\var\temp
SET TEMP=C:\var\temp
SET TMPDIR=C:\var\temp
REM *** MMOS/2 ***
DEVICE=C:\MMOS2\UNIAUD32.SYS /V
DEVICE=C:\MMOS2\UNIAUD16.SYS /V /C
DEVICE=F:\VirtualPC\vpcapp.sys
REM *** RSJ CD-Writer File System ***
BASEDEV=OS2ASPI.DMD /all
rem BASEDEV=RSJIDECD.FLT
rem BASEDEV=LOCKCDR.FLT
DEVICE=C:\CDWFS\RSJSCSI.SYS

DougB

QuoteAbout PMMail, it is version 3.06.  I found that if I drop the reg.key file on the pmmail.exe file it regesters it and all my accounts show up.  However when I close and open the program it reverts back to a demo version.

Put the reg file in the Accounts directory, and it will register properly. You should also update to the latest available version (3.11).

miturbide

About Problem 2 with Firefox.

Sometimes when the profiles.ini is pointing to a wrong path you can get that error.
Check the path on your profiles.ini text file. It may be on "C:\HOME\-username-\Mozilla\Firefox"

Or try backing up the profiles.ini file and your firefox profile, delete them and run firefox. Test if it generates again an empty profile.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

marcbryant

Doug B,

The reg key is in the accounts folder.  I'll upgrade as soon as I can get online.:)

Miturbide,

The profiles.ini is in the home directory and the path is correct.

If you can think of something else, I'm all ears.

Marc

marcbryant

Ok, I got most of the problems solved.  Had to put the path to the accounts directory in Pmmail in the working directory section of the icon view.  Got Firefox to work after deleting key3.db and parent.lock. Now Firefox runs fine. Also got VPC to work.  Do have one more question.  Where are the password files stored?  I thought they were in the signons.sqlite. Not a big deal as I have a hard copy of them but I use syc and I don't know how to reactivate it.

Thanks for the help,

Marc

sXwamp

Quote from: marcbryant on 2011.12.22, 04:41:10
Where are the password files stored?  I thought they were in the signons.sqlite. Not a big deal as I have a hard copy of them but I use syc and I don't know how to reactivate it.

Thanks for the help,

Marc

On Firefox menu, Tools => Options => Security, Saved passwords, show passwords.

Greggory

marcbryant

I checked that first.  Empty, no passwords. Also no plugins shown in Firefox even though the plugin directory shows them and the path statement in the config.sys is correct.

RobertM

I'd do a search for all such files (sqlite or other known profile files). It sounds to me like the profile files location is now different and you need to locate the files.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

marcbryant

Fixed the problem.  Seemed that when the files were restored the archive on some of them were changed to "read only".  As soon as I changed them to archive only passwords and bookmarks all came back.  Now I have to tackle the burner. Not today. It took me all day to install 2.1.  The install failed at various times 6 times.  Finally got it installed on the 6th try.  My computer angel was watching over me that's for sure.