• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

dbExpert

Started by Dennis, 2007.10.16, 21:38:13

Previous topic - Next topic

microdrome

Yep ,i have all that i need for the financial handling of my company's issues.
However it is only usable by me since it is not a real accounting solution.
And not flexable to set up, only what i need is in it .
And altough i started building this 7 years ago ,it still needs touching up and finding bugs.But for me it is perfect ,it does even control my ISDN phone or phone headset and dials the number when i want it to.
Not to mention the 8 printers in all varieties ,including a "slipprinter" for those shipment slips.
Unfortunately there is not yet a solution for the special printers which i want to use but cannot ,due to the missing driver.
Hopefully the manufactures will make a cups driver in the future. (but is is off topic)

Now the question remains , what will happen to DBexpert now  ? ,i have a feeling that there are not many users.
And switching to another application ? - i hope not ,7 years of work lost.and have to start over again.
besides it will remain working ,even with future ecomstations (unless they go the MS way)

Peter

jep

I think there are alot of DBExpert users out there...but some of the road blocks discussed here make it less useful and that may be the cause why there's not that much talk about it.

I use RexxSQL alot at work (though not OS/2-eCS) and have begun to write in eComstation as well, but have had problems to find a user friendly database server, but finally settled with Postgres by Paul Smedley. I've created a small installation script for it to get it up and running in verison 8.1.14 Beta 2, quite handy if I may say so.
I use rexx and RexxSQL to help customers dump the database and rebuild it in another CodePage for example, or when they want slim the DB down when it gets full of deleted data and/or to defragmented on disk.
You can do alot with RexxSQL quite easily, you just have to get familiar with some (3-4) basic functions to get going.

RexxSQL & DBExpert? I don't think so, mainly because of the problem that you can't call other custom functions/macros and share variables etc., a real pain in the...

======8<---------
Anyone else beside me that would interested to pay money to get updates (source code)?

Anyone that know how to approach Sundial and Mrs. Flint to ask their/her opinion and find a good solution?
=============
Mvh / WKR / MfG
//Jan-Erik

Dennis

I have been using dbExpert for over 10 years and over that 10+ years have developed an app for my trucking business that is very simple to use but very complex behind the scenes. I have invested so much time in developing this app that to change it to anything else--unless there's something that will import all my macros, queries, etc.--would be an extreme hassle and take way too much time. I have always felt that, if I had the knowledge & expertise in accounting, an excellent accounting app similar to Quickbooks could also be developed as part of my customer service app. With properly written macros & queries and properly designed forms, dbExpert could keep track of receivables, payables, taxes, commissions, print checks and tax forms, etc. However, since I am totally clueless about accounting and tax rules in the US, about the only thing I could do is design some forms--once the tables were designed and in place.
I just wish I could contact all the dbExpert users worldwide to set up a new newsgroup since the newsgroup servers at Sundial don't appear to be working. With that kind of contact availability, between us we probably could develop a powerful accounting app.
Would I pay for an upgrade to dbExpert? YOU BET!!!  I keep trying to call Mrs. Flint at Sundial, but was only able to reach her once--the week after Randell left us. Haven't been able to get through since. Will keep trying, though.

Dennis
Dennis

jep

Hello Dennis,

it may be a very difficult time for her and the family now... so please be patient and let them do whatever they need to do for now.

Mvh / MfG / WKR
//Jan-Erik

Tried to write a mail here to you, but couldn't as your settings prevent it.

Dennis

Hi, Jep!
Talked to Carla last week & she said the dbExpert newsgroups should be back up this week, which is good news.
I don't know what settings I need to change so I can get email thru/from this forum.
One of my hard drives crashed Friday and I haven't been able to get on anything until today.

Dennis
Dennis

Dennis

Hopefully someone can help with this one....

One of my .dbe files has become corrupted. dbExpert does not recognize it as a 'data file', so the app won't open. I don't have a good copy of the file anywhere else. Is there a way to solve this without having to recreate everything (the entire app). All the files for this app are still in place, but I don't know how to transfer them to a new .dbe file. The app that doesn't function right now is extremely critical. How do I make the .dbe file usable again???

Dennis
Dennis

jep

A possible cause to your problem may be that you have moved the files to another folder or renamed something...folder or file, as DBE seem to use absolute path references. You may want to try to see if that may be the case and take appropriate action. open the .dbe-file with e.exe and see if you can seee the path there somewhere, just don't save anything.

mvh / wkr / mfg
//Jan-Erik

Dennis

Unfortunately, moving the .dbe file isn't the case. The file has always been in my fsalptp directory. The computer hung while I was in the app. I rebooted & the file was corrupted. All the files for the app are still available, but I'm not sure of how to create a new app & bring in all the files. Also, I'm afraid that corrupting the dbe file may have screwed up all my macros & forms. Is there a way to uncorrupt the file so I can get all my macros & forms back? Some of the macros would be very hard to rebuild. Is there a marker I could change using  an editor? If I create a new dbe file, will attaching all the old files corrupt something else? Can I even bring the files into a new dbe(app name)? Can I create a new app, add all the files, and change the name back to the old app name?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Dennis
Dennis

Dennis

OK, I helped myself. Found a 3-4 month old copy of the corrupted .dbe file. I copied--not moved--it to the directory where the corrupted file is. Voila! the app works! Made some modifications to the forms and copied the .dbe file to a floppy. I'm not sure how some of my macros are going to work as I haven't used them yet, but if there's a problem, it won't be hard to solve.

Dennis

Peter--
Basically, I need a dbExpert-based accounting system that works for me. It needs to create invoices-which I can do with the information in my current Customer Service app. However, that's as far as I can go. I need to be able to track payments, bank account transactions, expenses, payables and be able to do an Income Statement(P & L) and Balance Sheet. Also need to track receivables aging.
I don't use most of the Quickbooks features--just the basics & maybe a bit more.

Dennis

Dennis

Quote from: NNYITGuy on 2007.10.30, 09:25:45
I would be interested in the database maintanance and development. I maintain and service databases for many clients in my professional consulting business.  Please tell me more if you are interested...

I have contact information for Carla at Sundial. If you are interested in continuing the development of DBExpert, send me an email at rcrmonte3@wi.rr.com.

Dennis

PAUL555

Hi Friends , 

Can anyone send me the Runtime version of DBExpert 2.0.9 . My problem is that I purchased the full package of DBExpert 2.0.9 in 2004 thru BMT Micro but I forgot to buy the Runtime version. Now with Sundial systems gone, I have no way of purchasing the runtime version. I have developed a small package in DbExpert and need to distribute to an end user. However I do not have the Runtime version. Can the Runtime version be created out of the full version of DBExpert 2.0.9 ?  Is there anybody out there who can send me the ISO floopy image of the Runtime version of DBExpert 2.0.9 ( final Version ) ? I can pay for it or exchange with Vispro Rexxx Gold 3.0 for os/2 .   

Regards

Paul