• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

OS/2 on a DEC Alphaserver 1200

Started by Ben, 2011.12.17, 23:38:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

I just had an old DEC, (Digital), Alphaserver 1200 dumped onto my lap.

Before I waste time playing with it I was wondering if anyone here has any had any success/failure installing any version of OS/2 upon it?

Thanks.

xchris

os/2 on Alpha CPU? !!!???

Try to get the OpenVMS (hobbyist license) PM me for more info (running OpenVMS on a DS10)

Chris

Ben

OK.

So "alpha" is not a server line, but a CPU name.

At least I'd have a some small chance if it was a PPC.

Oh, well. :D

I guess it's a tosser... or I could try an old version of NT.

Not worth my time really. So I guess I'll scrap it for the power supplies.

Thanks.

xchris

Try to sell the whole system on comp.os.vms http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.vms/topics
some people may interested for it!

NT 4.0 was the last version that supported ALPHA, (the NT 4.0 CD, has the Alpha version too)
There is also one 'beta' version of windows 2000 that runs on Alpha (but is... beta ;-} )

You could run Tru64 there, but the ****** HP does not offer a hobbyist license anymore :-(

Chris

Ben

We're talking 98 technology here; It is hardly likely to be worth the effort to sell and the shipping costs for this monster would be prohibitive.

It is probably worth more to me for the power supplies and SCSI boards/devices, etc. Even the drives are only 4.5G, albeit in a RAID configuration. So it wouldn't even be a good server, any modern-day, off-the-shelf computer being superior.

It does have Digital Unix installed on it, but I do not have the name/password so I cannot even test it out, though it will boot to the logon window, devoid of serious errors.

Ah well... the fans will keep me cool on those hot days to come! Hehehe...