• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Wireless router for desktop OS/2 and IPAD/2

Started by Andre Nancoz, 2011.12.29, 21:55:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Andre Nancoz

Just got an IPAD and now I need a router with at least 1 port + wireless to support my OS/2 desktop and the IPAD via my cable modem. Haven't kept up with the latest and greatest, don't have a router at present. Any reccomendations?

RobertM

Quote from: Andre Nancoz on 2011.12.29, 21:55:02
Just got an IPAD and now I need a router with at least 1 port + wireless to support my OS/2 desktop and the IPAD via my cable modem. Haven't kept up with the latest and greatest, don't have a router at present. Any reccomendations?

Any that allow automatic configuration or configuration from a web browser that does not require ActiveX. I'd avoid any that require using a Windows app to configure them to work. Thus, looking for any that people running OSX or Linux have had success with should be the only requirement you need to look at.

I use a Netgear WNDR3700. Besides being relatively easy to configure (I run a NAT'd subnet off a static IP from my static pool), it also has a very very good range (over 100 feet through one office wall, and an entire house). There is a higher end version of it as well, with slightly better range, and much better speed (assuming your wireless devices support the appropriate speeds and channel bonding).

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

ivan

As well as the Netgear there is the Linksys WRT54GC which is a 4 port unit that can connect to an ADSL line or there is the EdiMax Wireless 802.11b/g which is a single port access point.

Since you have a cable modem you might need a multi port unit unless you have a switch connected to the modem.

ivan

Andre Nancoz

Thanks for the reccomendations. I'll be looking at the multiports as that is what I need.
Andre

RobertM

Quote from: Andre Nancoz on 2011.12.30, 19:36:41
Thanks for the reccomendations. I'll be looking at the multiports as that is what I need.
Andre

Most (or all) of the NetGear and Linksys/Cisco routers are multiport routers. They generally come with 4 ports available. If you make the mistake of getting an access point, you'll have no ports. I'd recommend the *higher end* Netgear routers over the Linksys/Cisco routers - especially for range.

Rob

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

DougB

I use a D-Link DIR 655 router ("Xtreme N Gigabit Router" - on the box), and it seems to work well. I expect that most routers are capable of doing what you need.

Andre Nancoz

Decided to go for the Netgear, thanks all.
Andre