• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

NTFS 3g Project

Started by Saijin_Naib, 2007.10.20, 23:35:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Saijin_Naib

http://www.ntfs-3g.org/

After 12 years of development, the driver is now stable status. Could we possibly have the sources ported over to the IFS format so that eCS can have a stable, reliable NTFS read/write/resize driver that has 12 years of active development behind it?

What do you guys think?

DavidG

Here is a web page where some NTFS tools have been ported to eCS.

http://froloff.homeip.net/

Saijin_Naib

Yes, these tools are quite useful, but my suggestion was that we could use this NTFS-3g work to help the eComStation NTFS.IFS driver which has been noted by some to cause data corruption even when in NTFS Read Only mode. I

Saijin_Naib

hate to necro-bump, but is this viable or worth-while anyone?

Saijin_Naib

Necro-bumping again, this driver is now read/write in the Ubuntu Linux distros, so its certainly reached a point where it is considered safe enough to be used en masse. We really, really need this IMO.

smiley

I think it could be useful to have a read/write IFS driver for NTFS and we all know that, but still somebody will have to do it and I presume that all the people that have the knowledge are currently occupied otherwise(eCS 2.0)

As I could see this project seems to be good cadidate, but I am no expert, how hard it would be to make it work as IFS driver.

Saijin_Naib

I have absolutely NO idea. Im just backing this particular project because the source is open, the dev team is VERY serious about making it 100% stable and high quality, and its backed by 12 years of research, and is considered stable enough to be read/write in the Ubuntu releases from now on. That leads me to believe that this is the driver source we need to get behind for our own IFS. How much is involved in that? I dont know, I know just about nothing when it comes to things like that.

kim

Has any attempt been made to approach the team that made the existing ntfs tool for ecs? If, not I would recommend this first since I agree that I have had some miss fortune as well with the current ntfs ifs driver. If an drivers should be suggested I think that it then should be based on improving the existing code base that we got, if possible, I don't know.

Saijin_Naib

I have made no attempt to contact anyone because I do not know what the status of the NTFS project is for OS/2, and I dont know how to contact Pavel Shtemenko :\ I would agree that starting from a native OS/2 driver may be better, but if we want stability, and a codebase that will continue to be tested rigorously and continuously, we should position ourselves behind the NTFS-3G codebase and have it ported over to an IFS.

Saijin_Naib

Just got a dirty volume error in XP due to the tricky workings of the NTFS.IFS driver that is included with eCS :\ Im really at a loss for what to do here, I want to listen to my music, and it resides in my XP volume (NTFS), but if the driver is going to wreak havoc, I guess I will just stick to internet radio (gotta love Z! Player and DI.FM channels). I suppose I could set up a FAT32 shared music partition, but my music collection is 13gb, and I only have 13gb of free space, so the resize would be... difficult? to manage without first removing all my music to something else and resizing, aka, more work than its worth. This galvanizes my resolve that we MUST have an improved NTFS driver, file/volume corruption is simply not acceptable under normal use, especially from a "read-only" driver, forced to "read-only" mode :\ NTFS-3G has my full support, as well as a concentrated effort to improve the already existing NTFS IFS, so long as it meets the same testing criteria that is outlined in the NTFS-3G testing specifications.