• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

SMplayer version 0.6.9 build 4

Started by Pete, 2012.01.11, 20:53:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

Hi All

http://www.os2world.com/content/view/21346/2/
QuotePosted by Martin Iturbide - Tuesday, 10 January 2012

SMPlayer. .. .

Great, a replacement for the non-working (here) smplayer 0.6.9b3 I thought so downloaded and installed it.

Having tried to run it I found that it does not start. When clicking my smplayer program object the ""Cannot start ..." dialog is displayed. I clicked Cancel to this dialog and tried to start the program from the command line. This is the result:-

[J:\PROGRAMS\MULTIMEDIA\SMPLAYER]smplayer
SYS1804: The system cannot find the file STDCPP.

[J:\PROGRAMS\MULTIMEDIA\SMPLAYER]

So, looks like a file - possibly STDCPP.DLL - is missing.

Looks like it is necessary to go hunting a file not mentioned as being required in the smplayer readme. Anyone got any idea where to find this file?

Regards

Pete

Pete

Hi All

The problem was caused by smplayer 0.6.9b4 requiring the gcc package ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/gcc/gcc4core-1_2_1.wpi

Of course, this Warpin package checks to see if the current libc064 files are installed in the Warpin database. As the libc064 files are supplied in a ZIP package they are not mentioned in the Warpin database so the gcc package refuses to install.

Great organisation guys  ;-)

Of course the answer here is to use WPIView to extract the required DLL files to a directory on the LibPath eg \ecs\dll or \os2\dll - I found the current build of WPIView here ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/vxapps/wpiview/wpiview110.wpi

Having leapt through the hoops I now have a working smplayer 0.6.9b4

Regards

Pete

melf

I followed exactly the same process here Pete (not knowing of your efforts) but to make the new Lucide version to work. This also made my 1.4.0 GA Scribus version to work.
/Mikael

ivan

Hi Pete,

Just noticed your links don't work  (ftp:// .....), don't know if this the bug that I thought was squashed when inserting an ftp link rearing it's head again.

ivan

Pete

Hi ivan

Not sure what happened there as I simply used copy and past...

The links should have been ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/vxapps/wpiview/wpiview110.wpi and ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/gcc/gcc4core-1_2_1.wpi

Lets see if these come out right - or if os2world.com adds http:// to them

Regards

Pete

Pete

Hi ivan

The fault lies with os2world.com adding http:// to the urls.

Guess I'd better report this.

Regards

Pete

RobertM

Quote from: Pete on 2012.01.12, 01:57:24
Hi ivan

Not sure what happened there as I simply used copy and past...

The links should have been ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/vxapps/wpiview/wpiview110.wpi and ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/gcc/gcc4core-1_2_1.wpi

Lets see if these come out right - or if os2world.com adds http:// to them

Regards

Pete

Nope, that won't work either - it will drop the necessary colon. Something odd on how this SMF configuration parses links (which was fixed in a later version).

The links (select, copy, paste folks - sorry) are:

...GCC Core
ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/gcc/gcc4core-1_2_1.wpi

...the current build of WPIView here
ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/vxapps/wpiview/wpiview110.wpi

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Pete

Hi All

Well, after all the fun getting this software working I find out that it has all the problems of build3 which seem to be ini file related eg smplayer closes when trying to set Preferences so new settings are not saved, clicking the Stop Media button closes smplayer, volume adjustments do not "stick", the volume is always at 50% when starting smplayer not at the level set when smplayer was last used.

Anyone else seeing these problems?

Regards

Pete

DougB

QuoteAnyone else seeing these problems?

Yes, but I haven't had the time to try to sort it out. I did attempt to go back to an older version, which did work fine, but I can't get that to go either. VLC seems to do what I need, for now. Hopefully, SMPlayer will get fixed, because I like it.

melf

I've have the problems with the ini-files too. I use VLC which is reliable, but it's a pity i doesn't work.
/Mikael

Pete

Hi melf and Doug

- and anyone else interested because they are seeing problems with this build of smplayer.

In an email exchange with Silvan he asked which version of libc063.dll I am currently using and stated that it needed to be from the libc064 package.

I checked the libc063.dll currently in use here and it was the version from libc063 csd3 package.

Having replaced that with the version from the libc064 package and rebooted the problems I was seeing with this build of smplayer no longer exist.

So, I suggest you check which version of libc063.dll is in use on your systems. It should be:-

3-10-11  6:07a       157,124    225 a---  libc063.dll

NOT

11-06-07 10:53p     1,349,060    229 a---  libc063.dll

Regards

Pete

DougB

Hmmm. That creates a couple of problems. First, the redirector (libc063 of size 157,124) causes problems with many programs that use libc063 that don't happen with the CSD3 version. The redirector is supposed to be totally transparent, but it isn't. The fix, for most programs, is to use the CSD3 version. I guess I will see if I can set SMPlayer to use the redirector. I think that DragText should support doing that, or, perhaps RUN! will be required (perhaps both).

Thanks for digging out that (silly) restriction.

Pete

Hi Doug

I seem to be reading posts in ngs - and yours her - indicating that some older software relying on libc063.dll does not work with the newer "redirector" libc063.dll but no mention of any specific apps.

I'll have to see what stops working here I guess...

Regards

Pete

DougB

There are a few programs that just don't work with the new "redirector", but almost all programs that use it will crash on exit (RSync is one of them). That is usually not obvious, but I have PROCDUMP set up to capture faults in PMMail, when they happen. I did not make that selective, so it captures every crash, in every program (it is surprising what you can capture that way). The crash seems to be late enough in the sequence, that it doesn't really make any difference to most programs, and you would never know it happened, if you don't run PROCDUMP.

I took a quick try at getting SMPlayer to run. Both the old SMPlayer, and the new, crash when trying to save the preferences, and the preferences are not saved. It doesn't seem to matter which DLL version I use, although I may need to reboot to get the new DLL properly loaded (I haven't done that yet). I can make the program work, by manually editing the config file, but it is rather disappointing that the program doesn't work properly. It is also disappointing that the new libc064 CSD4 has a problem. Maybe it is a good thing that the GCC series hasn't been implemented as "redirect" DLLs to the latest version.

diver

as long as you don't reboot you will not have a clean libc064 only env. please do so and retest.
you can also test this dll. this is a changed libc with the known defect fixed. ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/odin/test/libc064_test_1.zip