• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

SAMBA and Active Directory

Started by Blonde Guy, 2007.07.16, 19:42:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Blonde Guy

I have inserted an eCS 1.2 R virtual machine into an Active Directory network. I've installed the latest SAMBA client, but I'm not sure how to use it.

I tried the obvious, specifying server, share, user and password, but it doesn't seem to work.

I can use the IBM requestor, where I can use limited browsing, but I can't authenticate.

A Windows 2000 virtual machine in the same network has complete access, so my credentials are OK.

smbcfs beeps all the time, but I have no idea why.

Is anyone else working with Active Directory?
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

cyberspittle

Hi BG,

My guess is that there needs to be an OU (Organizational Unit) in Active Directory for the eComStation system. OUs are not only for user accounts, but also for equipment (printers, etc.). Can the Active Directory (Win2K3) see you? Start from the server and work down to the client. I'm no Wingeek, but that's my guess.

Blonde Guy

Even with the old OS/2 file and print client, a Windows machine in Active Directory can see the OS/2 virtual machine. But it cannot see the shares of the OS/2 virtual machine.

The OS/2 machine can see only the domain controller and one other machine. It cannot see shares on any machine.

Neil

Simpson_2

Hi,

I'm not completely sure what the problem is from the email,

but you might run into the problem where you need Kerberos to use the windows server.
please verify that, and if so, help me nag paul to implement kerberos in samba client ;)

and while he is at it, openldap would be nice as well, then the active directory stuff should work as well
( active directroy is microsofts implementation of LDAP )

Bart

Paul Smedley

Quote from: Simpson_2 on 2007.09.21, 21:34:56
and while he is at it, openldap would be nice as well, then the active directory stuff should work as well
( active directroy is microsofts implementation of LDAP )

Well I built latest openldap yesterday - no time today for debugging and testing - will try get to it this week sometime.....

Blonde Guy

I'm thinking from the replies thus far that no one has yet tried SAMBA on active directory.

So I'm curious, what are you using SAMBA for?

Neil

Paul Smedley

Quote from: Blonde Guy on 2007.10.20, 06:02:34
I'm thinking from the replies thus far that no one has yet tried SAMBA on active directory.

See my reply in the other thread on AD and samba, but....

1) Kerberos is built for OS/2 - but kinit needs to be debugged - hope to have that fixed this week
2) A samba built with kerberos is available - and Bart has successfully browsed a share on an AD server using a java kerberos client, with smbclient.exe (which offers a FTP type interface to a remote share).

Next steps are to debug kinit - then add functionality to the Netdrive plugin to enable kerberos authentication to be used - and I guess ideally to automatically launch kinit to do the authentication.

Cheers,

Paul.

RobertM

Hey gang, the other thread Paul is referring to is here: http://www.os2world.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,63/topic,380.msg2556/#msg2556

And Thanks for the hard work Paul!  :)

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Paul Smedley

Quote from: Paul Smedley on 2007.11.20, 04:24:07

1) Kerberos is built for OS/2 - but kinit needs to be debugged - hope to have that fixed this week
2) A samba built with kerberos is available - and Bart has successfully browsed a share on an AD server using a java kerberos client, with smbclient.exe (which offers a FTP type interface to a remote share).

Next steps are to debug kinit - then add functionality to the Netdrive plugin to enable kerberos authentication to be used - and I guess ideally to automatically launch kinit to do the authentication.

Update: I hacked the source for smbcd.exe and once you're authenticated with kinit (the Java version) I've successfully browsed a share on a Windows 2003 server.

Still working on debugging the C version of kinit - looks like a select() call is the problem, but if anyone wants to play around - please contact me for a kerberos enabled smbcd.exe and a mudmap of how to set it up - paul at smedley dot id dot au.

Cheers,

Paul.

cytan

Quote from: Paul Smedley on 2007.11.27, 00:42:24
Quote from: Paul Smedley on 2007.11.20, 04:24:07

Update: I hacked the source for smbcd.exe and once you're authenticated with kinit (the Java version) I've successfully browsed a share on a Windows 2003 server.

Still working on debugging the C version of kinit - looks like a select() call is the problem, but if anyone wants to play around - please contact me for a kerberos enabled smbcd.exe and a mudmap of how to set it up - paul at smedley dot id dot au.

Cheers,

Paul.

Hi Paul,
   Which debugger are you using? I assume that you are using gcc 3.x which is incompatible with emx gdb. One reason why I don't use gcc 3.x is because I don't know of a debugger which works with it.

cytan

Paul Smedley

Quote from: cytan on 2007.11.27, 16:38:11
Hi Paul,
   Which debugger are you using? I assume that you are using gcc 3.x which is incompatible with emx gdb. One reason why I don't use gcc 3.x is because I don't know of a debugger which works with it.

I use the IBM VAC debugger - which works with gcc provided the app is linked with -Zomf

Cheers,

Paul.

cytan

Quote from: Paul Smedley on 2007.11.27, 21:39:24
Quote from: cytan on 2007.11.27, 16:38:11
Hi Paul,

I use the IBM VAC debugger - which works with gcc provided the app is linked with -Zomf

Cheers,

Paul.

Do you know why gdb was never ported to gcc 3.x?

cytan

rudi

Quote from: Paul Smedley on 2007.11.27, 00:42:24

Cheers,

Paul.

Any progress here ?  We are currently restructuring our company network and it depends on this whether we need to resurrect our dying Novell server or if we can attach the OS/2 clients to an AD network with multiple Windows Servers 2003 that are present anyway...

bottomtop

Sorry to bring up this old chestnut but I am wondering if we ever got any further on this?