• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Installing eCS 2.1 on the laptop

Started by Carlo_Warp, 2012.01.23, 13:13:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo_Warp

I am trying to install eCS 2.1 on my ASUS L3000D laptop.

After rebooting from the hard disk, I got the message "SYS 1475: The file OS2BOOT
cannot be found"

Airboot 1.07 boots Win XP well. On the Italian newsgroup they said that Airboot 1.07 is faulty...

Thank you for your help.

RobertM

Quote from: Carlo_Warp on 2012.01.23, 13:13:56
I am trying to install eCS 2.1 on my ASUS L3000D laptop.

After rebooting from the hard disk, I got the message "SYS 1475: The file OS2BOOT
cannot be found"

Airboot 1.07 boots Win XP well. On the Italian newsgroup they said that Airboot 1.07 is faulty...

Thank you for your help.

Usually, this occurs when some aspect of the partitioning scheme being used is not properly accessible by the mini file system drivers incorporated into the kernel, or when OS2BOOT or OS2LOADR are not in the location they are expected to be in.

In the case of the first, it means correcting something in the MBR/AirBoot stuff, or correcting something in the partitioning scheme. For both/either, dfSEE can be helpful.

In the case of the second, if the program is available (and I haven't checked my eCS 2.1, so I don't know), booting off the CD and running SYSINSTX BOOTDRIVE: may resolve the issue (inotherwords, you'd run something like this from a cmdline session started from the install CD... "SYSINSTX C:")

Generally, it was located on the installed bootable partition (ie, Drive C or wherever you installed) in \OS2\INSTALL\BOOTDISK - as well as on the install CD/CDs someplace.

The only other things I can think of are the following (this is all pre-coffee senility, so excuse any errors):
- the drive is partitioned to something too large to boot off of. This is probably not likely, unless some backleveled drive/LVM/kernl support is in use. But, previously you would be limited to a 500GB DRIVE for your boot drive (yes, drive - not partition) or a drive where only 500GB was partitionable - otherwise OS/2 and eCS will not boot. Again though, that limitation has supposedly been removed

- The boot partition is HPFS and is either near or larger than the 64GB limitation imposed by HPFS. I never ever use an HPFS partition over 50GB - doing so can cause all sorts of issues, this occasionally being one of them (including, oddly, sometimes on a system that has worked for ages).

- The IDE/SATA driver has the wrong switches being used for the chipset (or isn't fully compatible) - this will create the following scenario: (1) the mini-FS driver WILL start the boot process and run OS2LOADR & OS2BOOT - BUT, when it does the handoff to the IDE/SATA drivers and the "real" file system drivers (ie: HPFS.IFS and/or JFS.IFS), then suddenly things go wrong, because the driver/fs driver combination isn't accessing the disk correctly. Keep in mind, certain things like OS2LOADR are actually needed beyond the boot process, and OS2BOOT is needed up to and during boot for the kernel handoff.

Hope that helps point you in the correct direction

Rob

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Carlo_Warp

Another user said, that the partition of eCS is beyond 8 gbytes.

First, I reduced it to 7 Gbyte and afterwards to 5 Gbyte. In spite of that, I am still getting the SYS 1475 error message.

ivan

What is the bios setting for your hard disk?  If it is set for anything other than IDE or Legacy then you will get what you are seeing.

ivan

Carlo_Warp

The settings of the hard disk are the following ones:

Primary IDE: Samsung HM100JC
Pio Mode 4
Ultra DMA Mode 5
CHS Capacity: 8422 MB
Maximum LBA Capacity: 100031 MB
Cylinders: 1024
Head: 255
Sector: 63

sXwamp

Quote from: Carlo_Warp on 2012.01.23, 13:13:56

Thank you for your help.

I had a similar problem with Airboot 1.07( see bugtracker on ecomstaion.com) not working (booting eCS), try using Airboot v1.06

Also, Airboot v1.08 is being developed now, you may want to ask the developer for a copy to test out for the community too.

Sign-in to the eComStation.com bugtracker to find contact info for the Air-boot developer.

Greggory

Carlo_Warp

I am not using Airboot.

After having installed Win XP, I started the installation of eCS 2.1 and after the first reboot I got such error message.

sXwamp

Quote from: Carlo_Warp on 2012.01.24, 17:37:51
I am not using Airboot.

After having installed Win XP, I started the installation of eCS 2.1 and after the first reboot I got such error message.

OK,

What is the exact layout of your hard-drive (partitions on the disk), you have a 1TB hard-drive correct ?

Carlo_Warp

I attach a picture taken from Win XP. It is a 100 Gbyte drive. I tried to install eCS at the beginning of the drive.
Now there is Win XP.

CDRWSel

I would suggest you:
- Dont change windows drive
- Add bootmanager just after windows partition
- Add eCs partition following boot partition

I've got a similar issue in the past resolved installing boot manager like above.
Hope it will help you

Radek

If you can start from scratch then I recommend the following:

(1) Delete everything from your disk. Delete all partitions.
(2) Start from eCS CD, create one partition (winblows XP will be installed here).
(3) Save, exit fdisk, remove the eCS CD, insert winblows CD, ctrl-alt-del.
(4) Install winblows on the partition created by the eCS. Don't allow creating other partitions or touching the disk layout by winblows.
(5) Insert eCS CD, install boot manager, finish disk partitioning, add winblows to the boot manager.
(6) Install eCS.
(7) Manage partitions only from eCS. Never run winblows "hard disk manager". Formatting from winblows is okay (as far as winblows partitions are concerned)

I have met similar problems when I installed winblows 2000 and eCS on the same computer. Rumor is that winblows, when allowed creating or otherwise managing partitions, writes on partitions that do not belong to winblows. Without noticing or asking for permission, of course. This can prevent other operating systems from running. The following did not work for me:

(1) Install BM and eCS.
(2) Install winblows.
(3) Activate BM using the eCS CD.

The recommended method tries to prevent winblows from fouling other partitions. There is only one partition on the disk when winblows are installed. There is nothing to foul.

Carlo_Warp

I tried the last installation on the empty hard drive.

I created a first primary partition for eCS, size 5 Gbyte. during the first reboot I got the same error message.

Perhaps eCS doesn't like the hard disk, but it is only a 100 Bgyte one.

ivan

It is not that eCS doesn't like the hard disk, it just doesn't see it because of the way the bios is showing it.

Assuming the hard disk is a SATA device and not the older PATA (IDE) then the bios might be configuring it as an AHCI device - which eCS can not work with - rather than an IDE device.  If that is the case you need to enter the bios setup and the HD from AHCI to IDE or Legacy, then you should be able to install eCS.

ivan

RobertM

Quote from: ivan on 2012.01.25, 17:18:50
It is not that eCS doesn't like the hard disk, it just doesn't see it because of the way the bios is showing it.

Assuming the hard disk is a SATA device and not the older PATA (IDE) then the bios might be configuring it as an AHCI device - which eCS can not work with - rather than an IDE device.  If that is the case you need to enter the bios setup and the HD from AHCI to IDE or Legacy, then you should be able to install eCS.

ivan

Not entirely accurate. eCS v2.1 does indeed include AHCI support, intended for "dual capability" systems (AHCI/Legacy IDE mode) as well as AHCI only systems.

The issue that thus arises is when a particular chipset's AHCI support/needs are not properly covered by eComStation's AHCI support. I'd send in a bug report/note with the chipset information to try and get the AHCI support working for it - and in the meantime, I think you are stuck with Ivan's suggestions.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

EugeneGorbunoff

1) "SYS1475: The file OS2BOOT cannot be found" is a known issue of eCS 2.x, I can't find the notes how to resolve the problem. Continue search of the solution.
Other known issues of eComStation: http://ecomstation.ru/ecs-rus/?action=ecs20-known-issues

2) To ALL:
if you have tested AHCI driver, please post the report to this site: http://ecomstation.ru/ahci