• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

strange USB issues

Started by os2monkey, 2012.01.24, 02:08:29

Previous topic - Next topic

os2monkey

I have an ibm thinkcentre 8215 with a new install of ECS 2.1. The hardware is all detected fine, but
I'm having some strange issues with keyboards/mice.. in which the system works fine at first but then suddenly starts hanging up. Sometimes it just slows down so that my typing gets s..u..p..e.r slow.. and sometimes it completely freezes.
If I unplug the keyboard or mouse, and plug it back in, it acts normally again.
Strange thing is if I plug the mouse into the ps/2 port using an adapter, it has the same behavior.

I haven't applied any changes or updates other then the default install.
I did notice this post on os2notes:
http://www.os2notes.com/forum/index.php/topic,338.msg385/topicseen.html?PHPSESSID=f3decafb24bace1fcfa3c5842d8924c0#new

So maybe I should try that to see if it might solve my problems.
Anyone else have any similar issues?

sXwamp

Quote from: os2monkey on 2012.01.24, 02:08:29
I have an ibm thinkcentre 8215 with a new install of ECS 2.1. The hardware is all detected fine, but
I'm having some strange issues with keyboards/mice.. in which the system works fine at first but then suddenly starts hanging up. Sometimes it just slows down so that my typing gets s..u..p..e.r slow.. and sometimes it completely freezes.
If I unplug the keyboard or mouse, and plug it back in, it acts normally again.
Strange thing is if I plug the mouse into the ps/2 port using an adapter, it has the same behavior.

I haven't applied any changes or updates other then the default install.
I did notice this post on os2notes:
http://www.os2notes.com/forum/index.php/topic,338.msg385/topicseen.html?PHPSESSID=f3decafb24bace1fcfa3c5842d8924c0#new

So maybe I should try that to see if it might solve my problems.
Anyone else have any similar issues?

I recommend a fresh install with a real PS/2 keyboard & mouse hardware (just the hard truth for eComStation).

From experience it's easier to get cheap hardware from eBay that works (video, nic, sound), then trying to figure out what's not working.

Example: I still use Warpvision with a supported WarpOverlay card and can throw anything at it, mplayer, Kmp & Vlc all pause when you access anything on the disk - plus it has super sound :)

I use the above driver (usb13 before he changed the version numbers, newer versions don't work as well) and it cut the boot time from 54 to 22 sec with a SSD drive.

However, with USB it will be hit or miss :(

Greggory

Pete

Hi

I have used a usb keyboard in the past without the problems you describe.

I'm wondering if you have acpi installed?

If "Yes" it may be worth trying the latest build available, 3.19.14, by logging in at mensys and downloading from the Software Subscription section.

Regards

Pete

sXwamp

Quote from: Pete on 2012.01.24, 04:23:39
Hi

I have used an usb keyboard in the past without the problems you describe.

I'm wondering if you have acpi installed?

If "Yes" it may be worth trying the latest build available, 3.19.14, by logging in at mensys and downloading from the Software Subscription section.

Regards

Pete

Yes, USB will be hit or miss for eComStation.

However, there should never be a question about a keyboard or mouse working in a operating system these days (use PS/2 hardware).

I just bought a IBM model M keyboard from 1994  (18 years old and will probably work another 12 yrs).

USE PS/2 FOR KEYBOARDS & MIC3 OR YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN SOLVED BEFORE THE 21 CENTURY.

NOT ONLY THAT BUT WHAT ELSE DOES ECS USE USB FOR THAT ACTUALLY WORKS.

Greggory

MrJinx

Since you are having the issue with either PS2 or USB HID devices.
1. Download ACPI 3.19.14 from mensys the acpi shipped with 2.1 has some issues.
2. did it install SNAP or Panorama for the video.? SNAP is having serious issues running in VBE mode on modern hardware. to get around the problem with SNAP.
go to the command line (OS/2) cd to the snap directory cd \snap and turn off write combining with the command gaoption nowcomb. `If that's the problem, You will see an immediate improvement. If panorama is your video driver then the acpi update above should solve your problem.

Some other things to do,
To use a usb keyboard during install, It was likely you had to or USB legacy support was turned on in the bios. You can turn it off now that the install is complete.
Last but not least,update the usb drivers by going to hobbes.nmsu.edu and searching for usbhcd179.zip and install the drivers per the instructions.

I have a couple of thinkcenter desktop machines running very well and have never plugged a PS/2 keyboard into them other than my MAME custom joystick for gaming.
Lots of USB devices work just fine with eComstation and have been for a long time. It's unfortunate some of our user populous can't come out of the dark ages or work thru problems to get devices working like memory sticks,cameras, audio devices, network adapters and HID devices. I guess it more fun to RANT about it.

sXwamp

Quote from: MrJinx on 2012.01.24, 05:43:51
I guess it more fun to RANT about it.

RANT, it is pretty funny since my 18 year old keyboard (IBM Model M) works without problems since OS/2 was created.

YOUR SOLUTION 500 WORDS THAT MAY OR MAY NOT WORK.

Buy known hardware that works (less than $100 on eBay and have a sweet system running).

Write a 'HowTo' if you have a working setup on all these USB devices !!!

Pretty easy to 'RANT' without contribution to the community: www.os2notes.com

By the way my solution is a PROVEN solution, show me a post about PS/2 devices not working on OS/2 ???

QuoteI'm having some strange issues with keyboards/mice.

Finally, you may want to look over the original question again (look above), AND NOT ALL THESE MAGICAL WORKING USB DEVICES ???

Cheers

Greggory

os2monkey

Well I didn't mean to start a war  ;D..

For the record all of your advice has been helpful so thanks everyone. I do not have acpi turned on (have a celeron d so if I understand correctly it can't use it so I didn't activate it).
I am using the snap video drivers, and tried the gaoption nowcomb on command, but it just crashed again while I was typing this :).

I'll try the bios legacy mode in a little while.

Knowing that ps/2 is more solid is actually helpful info for me since i was buying a kvm switch and touchpad - and if the ps/2 models are likely to work better without hassle for me then that is something I would probably opt for to save time.

The first usb keyboard I tried was a microsoft natural keyboard pro (with the split keys).. that one completely crashes ECS right away and can't be recovered.
I also have a a microsoft comfort keyboard, which boots up and is fine at first, but it crashes randomly.

I really like split key keyboards, so I recently ordered this one which is supposed to work with either usb or ps2:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Adesso-PCK-208B-Tru-Form-Media-Contoured-Ergonomic-Keyboard/13215012

So i'm hoping that one will work better if I can't figure out what the issue might be.

dryeo

Download and install this, http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/drivers/misc/usbhcd179.zip (don't forget to save a backup of your originals) and test. If the problem persists, open a ticket as described in the readme.
I've heard horror stories about trying to get kvm switches working with USB so you really should pick up ps2 hardware. I get stuff like that at the local thrift store for a couple of bucks.

ivan

Greggory, there is one thing you left out in your rant - WITH MY SETUP or FOR ME!

Not everyone is seeing what you are seeing with USB.  All (15) of our machines here are using USB trackballs without any problems at all.  We also have three machines using USB keyboards, again without problems.

We have encountered problems with USB on one motherboard.  It wasn't just OS/2 that had problems but win XP had problems as well, yet strangely enough win 7 didn't.  Since we were building the system for a client and he wanted windows on it everything was fine - we always try to install OS/2 on anything we build for clients just to see if we can, that way we build up a list of motherboards to avoid.

ivan

sXwamp

Quote from: ivan on 2012.01.24, 12:36:13
Greggory, there is one thing you left out in your rant - WITH MY SETUP or FOR ME!

Not everyone is seeing what you are seeing with USB.  All (15) of our machines here are using USB trackballs without any problems at all.  We also have three machines using USB keyboards, again without problems.

We have encountered problems with USB on one motherboard.  It wasn't just OS/2 that had problems but win XP had problems as well, yet strangely enough win 7 didn't.  Since we were building the system for a client and he wanted windows on it everything was fine - we always try to install OS/2 on anything we build for clients just to see if we can, that way we build up a list of motherboards to avoid.

ivan

ONE MORE TIME, SHOW ME  A POST ABOUT PS/2 NOT WORKING ???

BY THE WAY HE HAS STATED THAT HIS USB KEYBOARD CRASHES HIS SYSTEM AND USB IS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR A KVM SWITCH.

Quote from: ivan on 2012.01.24, 12:36:13

Want some too - here it is, LOL:

Thanks for NOT posting which hardware works for you (instead of a comment about me & my better solution).

Great contribution to the community, can't wait for your next useless post.

BAM, BAM - Two useless post down, anyone want a third round with USB.

You sound like Obama, selling green energy jobs (DOESN'T WORK).

Exception to dryeo or Pete's post ;)

Greggory

MrJinx

Thank you Ivan,

Did I forget to say, I typed this post on a USB keyboard? and I used a USB mouse to click the reply link?
Oh and even better, It's connected to a 4 port USB KVM switch.

My monitor is connected thru HDMI on a wide screen panel running1360x768.
If you want to buy salvage hardware off eBay to keep OS/2 running in legacy mode, that's your choice.
I don't see how comments like yours are helping the community when most of us were over that hurdle 5 years ago.

It's nice to be able to run dual core hardware and use modern display adapters. (Although our video driver performance could be a lot better)
I wish you all the luck as the capacitors dry out in your equipment.

It's obvious you have no idea who I am when making your comments about "giving to the community"

If I was a new interested OS/2 user and I came to this site and saw these posts, I'd be running to Linux or OSX as a windows alternative instead of witnessing the conflict within a small user base that isn't doing any of us any good.

I'm done with what I have to say. So be sure to respond with how my statements are yet again the 3rd useless post.

sXwamp

Quote from: MrJinx on 2012.01.24, 17:21:23
So be sure to respond with how my statements are yet again the 3rd useless post.

One more time to the superusers Ivan & MrJinx that can't read a post.

He has stated that his USB keyboard crashes his system,

QuoteIt's obvious you have no idea who I am when making your comments about "giving to the community"

Good for you (I stand corrected sorry), contribute one more time:

Here's a good idea and prove me wrong, POST THE EXACT NAME & MODEL OF YOUR HARDWARE THAT WORKS ???

I use a PS/2 IBM model M keyboard best keyboard ever created from 1994  (18 years old and will probably work for a total of 30yrs).

That's my choice, your choice is to post useless crap without solutions  (Fox: We report, you decide).

QuoteIf you want to buy salvage hardware off eBay to keep OS/2 running in legacy mode, that's your choice.

Not sure why eComStation is marketed for legacy systems ???

Once again useless and (must repeat myself), USELESS - you have to be a Democrat or work for CNN or BBC :)

ivan

OK Greggory,

The trackballs are by Kensington VID 047D PID 1022 and the keyboards are by Aoltek Semiconductor (branded Irocks) VID 049D PID 1503.

Anything else you would like to know?

Oh, I wouldn't say my post was useless after all it does show that some peoples equipment works with USB and, adding yours, some peoples equipment doesn't.

ivan

sXwamp

Quote from: ivan on 2012.01.24, 19:07:12
OK Greggory,

The trackballs are by Kensington VID 047D PID 1022 and the keyboards are by Aoltek Semiconductor (branded Irocks) VID 049D PID 1503.

Anything else you would like to know?

Oh, I wouldn't say my post was useless after all it does show that some peoples equipment works with USB and, adding yours, some peoples equipment doesn't.

ivan

Sorry Ivan - was having a bad day to begin with, thanks for the info.

Just didn't like being attacked for posting a 100% right solution, after he stated that USB crashed his system.

And 'Yes', I have 4 systems - two work and two don't' work with USB hardware.

NOTE: the new USB drivers (version 13) by Lars cut my boot time from 54 to 22 sec, worth checking out !!!

Cheers,

Greggory

Pete

Hi All

Come to think of it there is an updated ibmkbd.sys from eCS that is supposed to fix some problems. Maybe it will help with the usb keyboard.

I got mine from the acpi 3.19.14 package but suspect that it is available seperately from ecomstation betazone but it may be necessary to login via mensys

Regards

Pete