• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

strange USB issues

Started by os2monkey, 2012.01.24, 02:08:29

Previous topic - Next topic

os2monkey

I have some new hardware on the way, such as the new split keyboard and ps2 kvm - and once they get here i'm going to do a fresh install and then apply all the drivers you guys listed... and i'll give you an update on how things are working then.

Thanks again everyone.

ivan

Hi All,

Just another piece of information to add.

This morning we received from our suppliers a PS/2 to USB dongle for a client - she wants to continue using her wireless keyboard/mouse that has a PS/2 wireless unit, on her new computer that does not have any PS/2 connectors.

I did a test on a couple of our machines and it allows both PS/2 keyboard and mouse to work through a USB port.

It's made by Holtek with VID 14D9 and PID 1400.

This is just for general information only.

ivan

MrJinx

Another thought hit me about your
problem, I tried to send you a private email but it didn't work.

Please open your config.sys and look for these lines.

In eCS 2.1 there is a bug in pass three of the installer that the IBM mouse driver doesn't get replaced with the better amouse driver properly.
See my config.sys snippet below.

At the end of the install, IBM's mouse .sys is active with amouse as the usb driver. They don't mix well.

The correct entry is shown below. my install is in C: drive but your may be different all you really want to do is rem the IBM mouse driver line and un rem the amouse base driver line and your problem might go away.

DEVICE=C:\ECS\SYSTEM\AMOUSE\AMOUSE.SYS SMP
rem DEVICE=C:\ECS\BOOT\MOUSE.SYS
DEVICE=C:\ECS\SYSTEM\AMouse\USBMOUSE.SYS

I forgot to bring it up as I am so used to checking the box to stop the 3rd pass from rebooting and correcting this manually. I took it for granted.

I want to backup my case about usb keyboard and mouse complaints by asking you this.

When you used the CD to install eCS, You used a usb keyboard and mouse without a problem to install or import your key? You used it as well to select easy or advanced install?
and other selections like snap over the default panorama video driver. was the usb mouse or keyboard acting up then?

You were already using eCS the moment the installer started and before it even wrote a file on your harddrive.

How will you edit the config.sys with the keyboard/mouse acting up?

right after the bios post is complete, or if boot manager is installed>select your os/2 install, Hold down alt-F1 and the recovery menu will appear. press F2 and eCS will boot to the command prompt full screen from there, type "TEDIT config.sys" and the text editor will appear. use the escape key to toggle the cursor and then the arrow keys to get the affected lines. rem and unrem lines to match the what is shown above. respecting your drive letter instead of mine. (While doing this you should notice the keyboard is working fine.)

Once the mouse driver lines are fixed, hit F2, then F3 to exit.you can crtl-alt del or type exit to reboot you machine and let us know what happens.

You can also use the CD and cancel the install to get to the maintenance desktop and use the editor there as an option to perform the same thing.