• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Etiquette and politeness in posting

Started by IBManners, 2012.01.27, 08:31:14

Previous topic - Next topic

IBManners

Hello everyone,

We as a community have limited resources, and limited users, and such we should ALL play nicely with each other in the playground.
We as a community cannot afford to lose anyone, and forums like this one on OS2World.com are a life line to both new and old users.

If your having a bad day, DON'T POST, simple really.

Remember, this is a public forum, what you post is viewable to everyone, and people will judge, and remember you by what you post.

So be nice to each other in the playground otherwise you maybe asked to leave.
Actually, chances are you will simply be removed, then we will tell you.

Cheers
Ian
I am the computer, it is me.

sXwamp

THAT'S OLD NEWS  & BUT THANKS FOR BRING IT UP AGAIN

Yes, USB will be hit or miss for eComStation.

However, there should never be a question about a keyboard or mouse working in a operating system these days (use PS/2 hardware).

I just bought a IBM model M keyboard from 1994  (18 years old and will probably work another 12 yrs).

USE PS/2 FOR KEYBOARDS & MIC3 OR YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN SOLVED BEFORE THE 21 CENTURY.

NOT ONLY THAT BUT WHAT ELSE DOES ECS USE USB FOR THAT ACTUALLY WORKS.

Greggory

This is my post & two others jumped me.

1) My first post is 100% right regarding his question, PS/2 is the way to go if you're have problems with USB.
2) The USB stack in crap, two other jumped me about this OT subject and didn't even post actual solutions.
3) In the so called 21st century (I'll repeat again) there should be no reason why an OS should have problems with keyboards & mice.

And I already say I was 'sorry' to Ivan, do I need to do that again. So remove me I already said that i was wrong, however the other two were off topic & didn't even post a solution.

My site is ranked #6 on google (search OS2), however I've been wondering if I should keep it running (I think you made up my mind).

Greggory

IBManners

Hi Greggory,

This post is directed at more than just you as I've had to 'Modify' someone else's post in the past (ie, remove expletives).
Forget the USB thread, that belongs in the USB thread. Move on.

It is also your choice as to what you do with your own website but I would suggest that you have a short break before you do anything rash.

Everyone also needs to remember that English is not everyone's first language, gee's, I'm Australian and no one else seems to understand what
I'm saying so what hope have others :o)

Now hop off the keyboard and go watch TV, have a cuppa or something for a while :)

Cheers
Ian

Ben

I agree with you Ian... to a certain degree...

I do not have any problem with someone showing a little bit of personality every now and again, (or more often than that), else we'll all slip into the psychopathic style, that is rammed down our throats by every TV news reader out there, devoid of all emotion and caring and epitomizing the robotic-dead image that those that make TV have forced us to all emulate; a docile, take-all-without-a-word, drone.

Emotions are, after all, the thing that makes us human and empowers our lives. Else we might as well be robots... as life slips into a somnambulant state somewhere between sleep and death. (Look around you).

And there are always the insufferable idiots that I personally, refuse to suffer... and don't! 8)   Fortunately, there are none around today.  ;)

Also, I'm willing to bet that many of the ruffled-feather threads that so very, rarely, pop-up here, infuse a little life into the readers and get the very-much-needed blood pumping into the membership of an arena that is notorious for being desperately, sedentary. And of course, when such threads are active, the hit count goes up as they keep coming back for more!! :D

Yes, yes, I know, some are repelled, but for every one repelled, ten will increase the frequency of their visits, throughout the life of the thread.

Having said that, I come full circle and say that and some level of a sophisticated maturity and control must be shown and over most, (if not overall), present.

GAWDAMNIT!!!!

Hehehe...

jdeb

Quote from: sXwamp on 2012.01.27, 09:30:42
THAT'S OLD NEWS  & BUT THANKS FOR BRING IT UP AGAIN

Yes, USB will be hit or miss for eComStation.

However, there should never be a question about a keyboard or mouse working in a operating system these days (use PS/2 hardware).

I just bought a IBM model M keyboard from 1994  (18 years old and will probably work another 12 yrs).

USE PS/2 FOR KEYBOARDS & MIC3 OR YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN SOLVED BEFORE THE 21 CENTURY.

NOT ONLY THAT BUT WHAT ELSE DOES ECS USE USB FOR THAT ACTUALLY WORKS.

Greggory

This is my post & two others jumped me.

1) My first post is 100% right regarding his question, PS/2 is the way to go if you're have problems with USB.
2) The USB stack in crap, two other jumped me about this OT subject and didn't even post actual solutions.
3) In the so called 21st century (I'll repeat again) there should be no reason why an OS should have problems with keyboards & mice.

And I already say I was 'sorry' to Ivan, do I need to do that again. So remove me I already said that i was wrong, however the other two were off topic & didn't even post a solution.

My site is ranked #6 on google (search OS2), however I've been wondering if I should keep it running (I think you made up my mind).

Greggory

That is unfortunate as I see you took it down already. I use your site a lot (in my bookmark toolbar). I have no idea what you all are talking about but it is sad. It is bad enough that OS/2 info is scattered about, most of it old, and then when one of the good ones is gone because of some disagreement. Sad, seems repairable based on the little info contained in this thread.

EDIT: I stand corrected, I see it is backup. Bummed me out for a minute.
Foxconn P41A-P, Intel E7500, 2 GB DDR2 800, ATI X300, ADATA Sata II 64 GB SSD, 160GB WD Sata II HD, Intel Pro 100/1000, Antec Basiq 350W PS, Antec 300 Case, ECS 2.1

miturbide

I also remember what happened in other communities here in Ecuador.

People that are posting for the first time on a forum or a mailing list get scared by other users that a has another way of thinking. The discussion may sound logical for people that had been discussing this kind of subjects for months and making analysis on their own, but at the end it may scare the new user.

For example I remembered on a "Free Software" forum a new user asked something like: "I'm having problems running Apache over Windows, the error Log show me XXXXXX".

The first reply was something like:
"Why the hell are you using Windows?, Windows is proprietary, it sucks... it belongs to the devil.. you are a unmoral person because you are using Windows.. and the freedom, blah blah.."

Instead of helping the user with Apache, or recommending a better alternative for the OS, the new user get attacked by the personal platform choices he made. As a consequence the user leaved the community and blocked his mind about using open source or free software.

I think that you may know more similar examples, there are people that belongs to online communities long ago before me.

We all are known for being OS/2 zelots, but we can be zelots and polite with the new comers at the same time.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

wimpie

Greggory,

What is the url of your site?

Wimpie.

IBManners

Hi Wimpie,

Greggory's website is http://www.os2notes.com/ and he's not allowed to take it off line otherwise I have to remove a link on my website !

OS/2 is spelled OS/2, try googling on "OS/2" as well as "OS2", results seem to change depending on the profile Google have built up on your past search results etc.

Cheers
Ian

wimpie

Quote from: IBManners on 2012.01.28, 10:55:18
Greggory's website is http://www.os2notes.com/ and he's not allowed to take it off line otherwise I have to remove a link on my website !

Thanks Ian,

It is now on my website http://home.hccnet.nl/w.m.brul  under my [References] linked as well.

Wim.

Joop

Quote from: IBManners on 2012.01.28, 10:55:18
OS/2 is spelled OS/2, try googling on "OS/2" as well as "OS2", results seem to change depending on the profile Google have built up on your past search results etc.
Be sure to use the " around "OS/2" or "OS2". Otherwise you have to go through a lot of mismatches by Google. It used to be a fine search engine, but lately commerce seems to have priority. So good links on os/2 sites do help.

aschn

["OS/2" vs. "OS2" on Google]

Quote from: Joop on 2012.01.28, 17:21:45
Be sure to use the " around "OS/2" or "OS2". Otherwise you have to go through a lot of mismatches by Google.

I see just a very small difference between those two. I have never allowed Cookies for Google.

I can remember from the start years of Google that there was a difference. But since about 5 years, searching for "OS2" works as well when you really mean "OS/2".

Andreas