• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

US/Canada: Daylight Savings Time CHANGE. Some software doesnt calculate properly

Started by RobertM, 2007.10.30, 04:59:11

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

Hey all,

Just a note to those of you in the US (or I think Canada) in areas that observe Daylight Savings Time. This year, it starts Nov 4th (NOT the last Sunday in October, as it used to).

If you are using Network Time Tools from Hobbes:
SETTIME/2 - WORKS
NISTime2 - INCORRECTLY SETS DST (will be an hour off)
OS2NTP - INCORRECTLY SETS DST (will be an hour off)

I am not sure about the Time Sync software that comes with eCS, so anyone with experience on that can hopefully post the info.

Also, I am not sure how this affects non US/Canadian* residents, though I am unaware of any other country that observes DST that has implemented the change. More info can be found here:

Wikipedia
Fox News
US Navy FAQ (includes info for next year)

-Robert

* According to Wikipedia, Canada has switched their DST Observance to the same dates as most of the U.S. (the new dates). I do not know how accurate that is.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

RobertM

So, since I know numerous of our members are not in the U.S. or Canada, I did a little more digging (courtesy of Google) and it appears the E.U. has not changed their observance dates. More info can be found here:

WebExhibits.org

Some E.U. residents MAY see their time change later than it should with some programs if they are using the wrong time servers (presumably US or Canada time servers).

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Saijin_Naib

RobertM

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2007.10.30, 05:11:24
Doesnt australia observe the same changes as the US/Canada?

I am not sure. And if they do (or did), I am not sure if they changed theirs to match US changes this year. But Wikipedia seems to think they have their own methods (which vary a lot from years to years and/or locations to locations):

From Wikipedia:
QuoteClock shifts are usually scheduled near a weekend midnight to lessen disruption to weekday schedules. A one-hour shift is customary, but Australia's Lord Howe Island uses a half-hour shift.[67] Twenty-minute and two-hour shifts have been used in the past.

On a funny side note, my cable provider incorrectly changed their on-TV clock already (on their cable listing page) and it seems their programming slipped as well to reflect the (incorrect) time change - they may have fixed it by now... though my DVD Player swore the time was the same (it auto-sets from PBS) as did my phone. So I ran all the DST/TimeSet software I had and found differing results (which prompted me to look it up). Oddly (funnily), all my clients that I worked with today are also on the wrong time schedule.  :) Fortunately, so was I till a few minutes ago. I guess I need to call my other appointments this week and make sure we're in the same time zone.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

RobertM

Well, wish I had found this first. This page (claims to have) has a list of DST Observances for the entire world for 2007:

http://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst2007.html

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

davidfor

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2007.10.30, 05:11:24
Doesnt australia observe the same changes as the US/Canada?

The parts of Australia that observe daylight saving start the last Sunday of October and end the last Sunday of March.  But, it looks like from next year we are changing to start from the first Sunday of October and end the first Sunday of April. 

Dennis

eCS worked just fine for me on the time change. The only problem was that it changed a week early. Any idea of how to set it properly?

Dennis
Dennis

RobertM

Quote from: Dennis on 2007.11.07, 23:23:25
eCS worked just fine for me on the time change. The only problem was that it changed a week early. Any idea of how to set it properly?

Dennis

Thats exactly the prblem I was talking about... I think u either need to change the TZ string (see the wiki link for a correct one I think), or the app isnt properly querying the information...

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|