• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Bug is xpcomcor.dll fix?

Started by cytan, 2007.10.30, 20:41:29

Previous topic - Next topic

cytan

Hi all,
   I just applied the xpcomcor.dll fix (10/24/2007)(http://www.os2world.com/content/view/15044/2/) from Peter Weilbacher for SeaMonkey 1.1.5 and I find that I cannot start seamonkey after replacing the original xpcomcor.dll with this one. I get the following in my POPUPLOG.OS2 file:

10-30-2007  13:34:16  SYS2070  PID 06e0  TID 0001  Slot 00bd
D:\SEAMONKEY\SEAMONKEY.EXE
SEAMONKEY->XPCOMCOR.381

Anybody else see this?

BTW, where is firefox 2.0.0.8 mentioned in the news?

Thanks!

cytan

DavidG

I just downloaded the patch. Renamed my old dll before replacing.  eSeaMonkey 1.5 starts up and works fine.

The patch works great with his enhanced eSeamonkey.  Maybe it is not supposed to be applied to the official release of SeaMonkey.

cytan

Quote from: David Graser on 2007.10.30, 21:07:24
I just downloaded the patch. Renamed my old dll before replacing.  eSeaMonkey 1.5 starts up and works fine.

The patch works great with his enhanced eSeamonkey.  Maybe it is not supposed to be applied to the official release of SeaMonkey.

Thanks! I think that's the problem. However, I've found that SeaMonkey 1.1.5 is more crash prone than 1.1.4. It seems to suddenly crash for no reason whatsoever. Have you seen this?

cytan

DavidG

eSeaMoneky 1.5 has been rock solid for me.  No problems what-so-ever.

Pete

Quote from: cytan on 2007.10.30, 21:46:28
Quote from: David Graser on 2007.10.30, 21:07:24

Thanks! I think that's the problem. However, I've found that SeaMonkey 1.1.5 is more crash prone than 1.1.4. It seems to suddenly crash for no reason whatsoever. Have you seen this?

cytan

Hi

Yes - when the webpage requires Flash and either there is no Flash plugin, the version of Flash required is newer than that available (and FlashBlock is not installed), javascript is Off (FlashBlock requires javascript On).

I suggest installing FlashBlock - http://flashblock.mozdev.org/ - and checking javascript is On (Preferences, Advanced, Scripts etc).

Having said that I have followed links from time to time that have led to unexpected (ie unrelated to what I was looking for) websites of an adult nature that may have been trying to phish or download some sort of unwanted software automatically and these can cause SM (any version) to crash - probably "Windows Only" javascript in use.

As regards the PW patch: I quote here what PW said about this and compatibility with the "Official" Seamonkey115 build:-

"Please try the DLL from
   http://temp.weilbacher.org/xpcomcor_noext_fix.zip
that contains the patch from bug 400939. That DLL works for all three of my enhanced apps (and should also work to fix the official SeaMonkey)."

No posts in that thread to suggest it does not work with the "Official" build...

Regards

Pete

cytan

I'm reverting back to 1.1.4 which does not randomly die. I just got a 1.1.5 zombie (which was unkillable but did not take down OS/2) when I tried printing. Thankgoodness for backups!

cytan

Pete

Quote from: cytan on 2007.10.31, 22:52:17
I'm reverting back to 1.1.4 which does not randomly die. I just got a 1.1.5 zombie (which was unkillable but did not take down OS/2) when I tried printing. Thankgoodness for backups!

cytan

Hi

As 115 does not seem to randomly die for anyone else I think you may want to check your Profile or Seamonkey configuration is not causing a problem - the zombie issue is indicative of a misconfiguration, missing extension/theme or Profile problem.

Try starting Seamonkey from the command line, in the Seamonkey program directory, using this syntax:-

[J:\Programs\Mozilla.Org\seamonkey]seamonkey > \error.log 2>&1

When Seamonkey crashes you will get a report in the [J:\Programs\Mozilla.Org\seamonkey]\error.log file - obviously you need to change the [J:\Programs\Mozilla.Org\seamonkey] bit into the correct path for your system.

If that report indicates libc problems eg:-

Killed by SIGSEGV
pid=0x006d ppid=0x003e tid=0x0001 slot=0x00ba pri=0x0200 mc=0x0001
J:\PROGRAMS\MOZILLA.ORG\SEAMONKEY\SEAMONKEY.EXE
LIBC063 0:0005def4
cs:eip=005b:1d55def4      ss:esp=0053:0011d45c      ebp=0011d464
ds=0053      es=0053      fs=150b      gs=0000     efl=00250202
eax=0011d48c ebx=00000000 ecx=0011d48c edx=00000004 edi=00000000 esi=0011d48c
Process dumping was disabled, use DUMPPROC / PROCDUMP to enable it.

You may want to check that you have the most current versions installed.

You may also want to check that all plugins/extensions/themes are installed and configured properly - is the ipluginw.dll file in the Seamonkey\components directory?

If the above does not help then you could check if this is a Profile problem:-

Start 115 with the Profile Manager and create a brand new Profile and test it.

If 115 crashes with that new Profile without obvious cause I suggest you report it in news.mozilla.org/mozilla.dev.ports.os2

Hope the above is of some help

Pete