• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Test results needed from USB connected HP Printers

Started by Paul Smedley, 2012.02.09, 12:46:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Smedley

Interestingly, the HP USB code specifies a language of 0x409 (aka US English) when calling usb_control_msg.... and there's still an error from usbcalls's UsbCtrlMessage of rc=280

Paul Smedley

Also interesting - I got some hp-mkuri logs from some other users, they fail slightly differently, in that they don't get the same return codes from libusb, but same net result, ie:
[localhost] Feb 12 09:22:51 hp-mkuri.exe: io/hpmud/musb.c 131: get_string_descriptor zero result, retrying...
[localhost] Feb 12 09:22:51 hp-mkuri.exe: io/hpmud/musb.c 131: get_string_descriptor zero result, retrying...
[localhost] Feb 12 09:22:51 hp-mkuri.exe: io/hpmud/musb.c 151: invalid get_string_descriptor size act=66 exp=0

[localhost] Feb 12 09:22:51 hp-mkuri.exe: io/hpmud/musb.c 2050: invalid product id string ret=-27

Paul Smedley

Quote from: Paul Smedley on 2012.02.12, 10:28:58
Also interesting - I got some hp-mkuri logs from some other users, they fail slightly differently, in that they don't get the same return codes from libusb, but same net result, ie:
[localhost] Feb 12 09:22:51 hp-mkuri.exe: io/hpmud/musb.c 151: invalid get_string_descriptor size act=66 exp=0

[localhost] Feb 12 09:22:51 hp-mkuri.exe: io/hpmud/musb.c 2050: invalid product id string ret=-27

OK found a bug in our libusb port that explains this - usb_ctrl_message was always reporting 0 for success, it should return the amount of data transferred...

Radek

No results on the screen, only the logfile. Both with -o and with -b 1 -d 4. The logfiles are the same in both cases. As far as syslogd is concerned, my eCS isn't on the network - I was unable to make my network card work (Marwell Semiconductors, genmac should know it but not on my Vaio most likely). I don't know how to use syslogd without a network.

Paul Smedley

Quote from: Radek on 2012.02.12, 17:00:12
No results on the screen, only the logfile. Both with -o and with -b 1 -d 4. The logfiles are the same in both cases. As far as syslogd is concerned, my eCS isn't on the network - I was unable to make my network card work (Marwell Semiconductors, genmac should know it but not on my Vaio most likely). I don't know how to use syslogd without a network.

syslogd will probably start OK provided localhost is available.... what does it say if you start syslogd from a command line?

Either way, it seems you'll need the full hplip package as once the device is detected, it seems it checks the details against some file that ship with hplip.

http://smedley.id.au/hplip-3.12.2-os2-20120212.zip

Once it detects the USB device it goes looking for some files in \hplip

Note if you have the klibc rewriter installed, you might need to move \etc\hp\hplip.conf into %ETC%\hp\hplip.conf

Radek

I have tried the "full install" but the result was the same as with the "only hp-mkuri". The same logfile, no output on the screen. syslogd starts and creates a log file (empty file). While running hp-mkuri, no messages (the file is still empty after quitting syslogd). As far as the rewriter is concerned, "%ETC%" is "/etc" on my machine. I tried to copy hp\plip.conf (including the directory) into c:\etc (c: is the boot drive)  and d:\etc (hp-mkuri is on d: ). No changes.

Paul Smedley

Quote from: Radek on 2012.02.15, 19:13:13
I have tried the "full install" but the result was the same as with the "only hp-mkuri". The same logfile, no output on the screen. syslogd starts and creates a log file (empty file). While running hp-mkuri, no messages (the file is still empty after quitting syslogd). As far as the rewriter is concerned, "%ETC%" is "/etc" on my machine. I tried to copy hp\plip.conf (including the directory) into c:\etc (c: is the boot drive)  and d:\etc (hp-mkuri is on d: ). No changes.

Sounds like syslog isn't doing what's required...  Does 'ping localhost' work?

Paul Smedley

Oh and if anyone else wants to test the above package with a USB device, they'll need an update hp-mkuri.exe from http://smedley.id.au/hp-mkuri.zip

Paul Smedley

Yay - Lars Erdmann sent me a fixed usbehcd.sys and string detection now works for me on my T60 with my HP devices.

This will help me get usb scanning working, as previously I had to use my 8 year old laptop which isn't the most reliable in terms of hardware :)

mwizard

I have a HP CP1025nw printer that is not yet attached to eCS.  If CUPS printing can use either USB or Wired Network connectivity to allow me to print to this printer, I'd be happy to try this one too.  Other forums do suggest that HPLIP v3.11.7 is needed to support this printer.

If you would like for me to test, what would it take?  Connect via USB and run the test program mentioned here?  Or would I need to install CUPS and HPLIP first?

Paul Smedley

Hi Mark,

Quote from: mwizard on 2012.03.16, 21:15:42
I have a HP CP1025nw printer that is not yet attached to eCS.  If CUPS printing can use either USB or Wired Network connectivity to allow me to print to this printer, I'd be happy to try this one too.  Other forums do suggest that HPLIP v3.11.7 is needed to support this printer.

If you would like for me to test, what would it take?  Connect via USB and run the test program mentioned here?  Or would I need to install CUPS and HPLIP first?

Let me get together a CUPS package for HPLIP 3.12.2 for you to test - USB and network should both work....

mwizard

I'll keep an eye out for the new HPLIP release.  Thanks.

Paul Smedley

mwizard

Your documentation suggests GhostScript (GS) 8.71. is required.  It would appear that different GS versions can be installed along with each other.  Can you confirm or deny that assumption?

I have gs8.71, gs9.00, gs9.02, & gs9.04 installed in the same named subfolders. (different folders each)

I will assume that unless you tell me differently that the GS prereq is already available on my system and that there is no need to install it in the CUPS directory.  And that the CUPS system will find and use the proper GS release.

Would CUPS work just as well with the later GS releases?  Or is that a matter of testing at this point?

I'm moving forward with the test based on my limited understanding, and will post my results here.

Thanks for working with me on this.

Pete

Hi

If you already have several versions of gs installed then you do not need to install another build - the gs installations do need to be on the same drive as cups but not in the same directory as cups eg j:\cups, j:\gs

You have to specify which build of gs to use in the \cups\lib\cups\filter\pstoraster file.

To save you a little time and trouble: No gs build later than 8.71 works properly with cups.

Regards

Pete