• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Test results needed from USB connected HP Printers

Started by Paul Smedley, 2012.02.09, 12:46:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Smedley

Quote from: Pete on 2012.03.17, 21:35:28
If you already have several versions of gs installed then you do not need to install another build - the gs installations do need to be on the same drive as cups but not in the same directory as cups eg j:\cups, j:\gs

You have to specify which build of gs to use in the \cups\lib\cups\filter\pstoraster file.

To save you a little time and trouble: No gs build later than 8.71 works properly with cups.

Actually, I'll bet a drive letter could be used in pstoraster - just ensure forward slashes are used...

But Pete is correct that 8.71 is the most reliable build of ghostscript for CUPS on OS/2

mwizard

I've gotten all installed I think.  I've been able to select my printer. And find all related things in CUPS for the CP1025nw.  Test page print fails.  In Linux I don't have to go setup desktop printers.  Will this test page print work without the next step?

However, when I go to create a desktop printer that I can use with my applications, the ecupshp-pdr from 2010 appears to be the latest available.  And it does not have the CP1025nw in it.

Anyone know where I can find a newer ecupshp-pdr file?

Paul Smedley

Quote from: mwizard on 2012.03.17, 23:51:44
I've gotten all installed I think.  I've been able to select my printer. And find all related things in CUPS for the CP1025nw.  Test page print fails.  In Linux I don't have to go setup desktop printers.  Will this test page print work without the next step?

However, when I go to create a desktop printer that I can use with my applications, the ecupshp-pdr from 2010 appears to be the latest available.  And it does not have the CP1025nw in it.

There is no point proceeding until the test print works - what is the error?

Paul Smedley

Oh and on this, the best method is to use Alex Taylor's instpdr to add the installed ppd from /cups/etc/cups/ppd into the installed postscript driver.

The monolithic ecupshp is a PITA the maintain, and due to limitations in the IBM code, it's capped at around ~700 printers - hplip has more than that available....

mwizard

Quote from: Paul Smedley on 2012.03.18, 00:12:42

Paused - "/cups/lib/cups/filter/hpcups.exe failed"

Paul Smedley

Quote from: mwizard on 2012.03.18, 00:33:13

Try running hpcups from a command line - I'll guess it's missing gcc446.dll

Paul Smedley

Quote from: Paul Smedley on 2012.03.18, 00:37:31
Quote from: mwizard on 2012.03.18, 00:33:13

Try running hpcups from a command line - I'll guess it's missing gcc446.dll
Actually, that can't be it:

chkdll32 \cups\lib\cups\filter\hpcups.exe
Loading DLL 'libc064' --> C:\ECS\DLL\LIBC064.DLL.
Loading DLL 'tcpip32' --> C:\MPTN\DLL\TCPIP32.DLL.
Loading DLL 'doscalls' --> loaded.
All DLL's used by '\cups\lib\cups\filter\hpcups.exe' could be loaded.

try:
- closing cupsd.exe
- edit \cups\etc\cups\cupsd.conf and change LogLevel from info to debug
- restart cupsd.exe
- try the test print
- close cupsd
- send me \cups\var\log\cups\error_log to paul at smedley dot id dot au

mwizard

[C:\cups\lib\cups\filter]hpcups
prnt/hpcups/HPCupsFilter.cpp 68: ERROR: hpcups job-id user title copies options
[file]

I think this suggests that its running fine.

As for stopping cupsd, I'm not seeing how to do that.  It doesn't show in my task list.  And I'm not seeing any commads in the locahost/admin UI to shut it down.  Would you please give me a hint?

As for InstPDR, I have no idea where to find the PPD files.  I've searched and can't find any files *.ppd.  Any ideas where I should be looking for these?

Paul Smedley

OK hpcups fails due to a missing plugin.

From http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/laserjet/hp_laserjet_cp1025nw.html

Driver plug-in   Required   See note8.

8 ("Required") A downloadable driver plug-in is required for printing support. ("Optional") A downloadable driver plug-in is optional for printing support and may increase the speed, quality, or other aspect of printed output. ("No" or "None") A driver plug-in is not required nor available. Driver plug-ins are released under a proprietary (non-open) license and are not part of the HPLIP tarball release. For more information, please refer to this KB article

ALT

It doesn't really help Paul with his HPLIP testing, but according to the Linux Printing database, the CP1025nw works work the foo2zjs driver, so HPLIP may not be necessary for it:
http://www.openprinting.org/printer/HP/HP-LaserJet_Pro_CP1025nw