• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Installing eCS 2.1 on the laptop

Started by Carlo_Warp, 2012.01.23, 13:13:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo_Warp

The hard disk is IDE.

An Italian user suggested to modify the settings of the DANIS506 driver.

That is the possible solution

It is not that eCS doesn't like the hard disk, it just doesn't see it because of the way the bios is showing it.

Assuming the hard disk is a SATA device and not the older PATA (IDE) then the bios might be configuring it as an AHCI device - which eCS can not work with - rather than an IDE device.  If that is the case you need to enter the bios setup and the HD from AHCI to IDE or Legacy, then you should be able to install eCS.

ivan

ivan

QuoteThe hard disk is IDE.

What settings are you using with the DaniS506?  For a three year old unit I would think you don't need any - al least I don't on my three year old Acer.

ivan

CDRWSel

Hum!   ::)
I "think" that Danis driver is loaded after it start the boot. (after OS2BOOT was found)

Radek

It's a strange IDE. It says "maximum LBA capacity = 100 GB", which is nonsense. Max. LBA capacity is 8 GB because the 24-bit address field in int 13h cannot address more than 8 GB with 512-bytes blocks. The HD seems to be a strange "special" understood by winblows but not fully understood by eCS. You can start installing eCS but you get crash after the first restart. Weird.

If you have some partitions on the HD, try to start from the CD and check what you can check from the CD. Can you mount the HD? If you can lose data on the HD, can you format partitions? Can you run DumpIDE and similar things (I don't know what all is available from the CD). If there are some data left on the HD, can you list directory contents? What is the sector size on your HD? How many sectors are on the HD? If you have a bootable DFSee CD (you can download a demo for free, it is a fully functional DFSee limited in time), what can DFSee say about your HD?

RobertM

Quote from: Radek on 2012.01.26, 08:44:04
It's a strange IDE. It says "maximum LBA capacity = 100 GB", which is nonsense. Max. LBA capacity is 8 GB because the 24-bit address field in int 13h cannot address more than 8 GB with 512-bytes blocks. The HD seems to be a strange "special" understood by winblows but not fully understood by eCS. You can start installing eCS but you get crash after the first restart. Weird.

That is a weird number... but there's the 32GB and 127GB limit as well. And some manufacturers, as I guess you noted, used some odd LBA addressing schemes inbetween the various limits. The 8GB limit as a rule, only remained with SCSI drives for boot devices on certain controllers (and those limitations were 1GB, 2GB, 4GB and 8GB).

100GB... very weird.

EDITED: Duh, I just thought of something... if there truly is some weird 100GB limit, a BIOS/firmware update may remove or change that to something more normal. On that note, eCS shouldn't care in the least bit about such a limit, since it *SHOULD* be doing it's own drive translation. One notices that if they use the correct switch on the DANI drivers - it will report how the drive/BIOS allows access the drive, and what scheme it is using to access the drive. Unless of course it is having problems due to the non-standard translation.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Carlo_Warp

After the first installation phase, I openend the Config.sys and the Danis506 driver has the following structure:

BASEDEV=DANIS506.ADD /!BIOS

And after the first reboot I got the same error message.

Quote from: ivan on 2012.01.26, 00:22:49
QuoteThe hard disk is IDE.

What settings are you using with the DaniS506?  For a three year old unit I would think you don't need any - al least I don't on my three year old Acer.

ivan

RobertM

Possible suggestion:
Same steps you've been taking, but beforehand, use dfSee to wipe anything on the disk - especially anything that even remotely looks like an MFT, MBR or partition table.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Carlo_Warp

With Dfsee, I did the following:

From menu "Mode=Fdisk" => "MBR or EBR area operations" =>  "New MBR Code, erase tables"

In spite of that, I still got the same error message....

The funny thing is that I installed eCS 1.2 on the same hard drive!

Quote from: RobertM on 2012.02.01, 18:33:25
Possible suggestion:
Same steps you've been taking, but beforehand, use dfSee to wipe anything on the disk - especially anything that even remotely looks like an MFT, MBR or partition table.

ivan

The problem may be in eCS itself, see the topic eComStation 2.1 + Sigurd versus HP SLate 2 Touch PC and Paul's post re his laptop.

Carlo_Warp

The positive thing is that, after installing eCS 1.2, I migrated to eCS 2.1. I never got the same error message during the migration.
I installed eCS with the HPFS file system.