• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

USB3

Started by CDRWSel, 2012.02.29, 21:45:52

Previous topic - Next topic

CDRWSel

Is there a plan to add USB3 support ?

I just tested a    Lexar Triton USB 3.0 - 32 Go key on my windows7 system having a PCI-X usb3 card
The result was impressive !
Read at 178MB/s
Write at 180MB/s

Since I tested this, it is now a must have... (fast backup, fast application start etc..)   

abwillis

Quote from: CDRWSel on 2012.02.29, 21:45:52
Since I tested this, it is now a must have... (fast backup, fast application start etc..)   
Shame on you, you should know better than to test something like that  ;D
Seriously though, as I understand it that USB3 support is on the todo list but after they rework the USB 2.0 support and no idea how long then either would take.

lewhoo

I used USB mainly with pendrive and the sad thing for me is, that the trasnfer is so slow on OS/2 mainly due to... bad FAT32 support. I know that USB is not only about memory devices, but until we get good FAT32 or NTFS support, improving drivers will not change much in that case...

DougB

QuoteSince I tested this, it is now a must have... (fast backup, fast application start etc..) 

Hehe. You young pups are always in a hurry   :)

Quotethe trasnfer is so slow on OS/2 mainly due to... bad FAT32 support

I agree that FAT32 is not very good (even in windows), and NTFS is likely to remain as it is (not usable by OS/2). USB (including USB 3.0) is slow, and there isn't much that can be done about that. It is the nature of the beast. There are other approaches that make a lot more sense, like eSATA, and NAS devices with gigabit interfaces. Better support for eSATA should be possible (hot plug, and eject), and most real NAS devices do have support using SAMBA. You do need to avoid the devices that need a special windows driver, but that is nothing new.

Quoteuntil we get good FAT32 or NTFS support, improving drivers will not change much in that case...

Don't count on either one getting better. If you need compatibility with windows, and OS/2, you probably need to put up with FAT32. If you are using the devices in windows only, NTFS is the answer. If you are using them in OS/2 only, JFS is the answer. In all cases, USB will be slow.

Years ago, Carbon Based software had a driver that would create a drive, using the contents of a ZIP file (a demo is on a CD that came with warp4). Using compressed data on a USB device should be faster than using plain data (now that processors are fast enough to keep up to the compress/decompress requirements), just because there is less data to transfer over the interface. There would, of course, need to be support for other operating systems, if there is to be any compatibility. Of course, if it is a ZIP file, other systems do have support for them, as long as the base file system is compatible.

Portable WiFi devices could also answer a need for portability, and compatibility. N adapters will run at 300 Mbs, under ideal conditions, and they should be compatible with the standard network requirements (probably SAMBA). In that case, it doesn't really matter what the underlying file system is. This is, of course, just a NAS device. Cost to the consumer, is the big drawback, currently.

There are probably other possibilities, but I think there are a couple of drivers that could form the basis of using a ZIP file as a drive. ISOFS essentially does that with ISO image files (although there is no write capability). There is also AEFS, which creates a secure (password protected) drive out of a bunch of files on the HDD. It does have read/write capabilities. I know that the source for ISOFS is available. I am not sure about AEFS. If the AEFS source is available, it is probably not too complicated to change the storage file(s) from encrypted stuff, to being a ZIP file (possibly even encrypted), which should be compatible to other operating systems. The base file system would still have the restrictions mentioned earlier, but data transfer would be faster because there is less data to move across the slow interface. Of course, zipping ziped (or otherwise compressed) files probably won't make much difference.

Any other thoughts?

RobertM

For external drives, I'd strongly suggest some efforts being put into exFAT.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Blonde Guy

Even if we don't have USB 3.0, can our USB drivers use USB 3.0 hardware? Modern motherboards do not have USB 2.0 ports any more.
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

Carlo_Warp

A few days ago I purchased a new motherboard, ASUS Sabertooth 990Fx. It has 14 USB 2.0 ports and 4 USB 3.0 ports.
The USB 2.0 ports are still the majority.

Blonde Guy

Wow! If you would install eComStation, you could answer my question.

Can you use a USB 3.0 port with our current drivers?
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

Carlo_Warp

I really would like to test eCS 2.1 on my new computer! The processor is AMD Phenom II X4 960 T BE. There is a problem with the ram memory. In spite of being supported by the motherboard, it is not recognized and I can't boot.

Quote from: Blonde Guy on 2012.03.12, 04:34:35

RobertM

Quote from: Carlo_Warp on 2012.03.12, 13:30:37
I really would like to test eCS 2.1 on my new computer! The processor is AMD Phenom II X4 960 T BE. There is a problem with the ram memory. In spite of being supported by the motherboard, it is not recognized and I can't boot.

Quote from: Blonde Guy on 2012.03.12, 04:34:35

In what way is it not recognized? None of it is? Only some of it is?

If it is only some of the RAM recognized, could you let us know:
- how many CPUs or cores are in the machine
- how much total memory is installed
- how much memory is recognized
- what method of SMP the board and BIOS use
- if there are options in the BIOS to change the SMP/APIC/ACPI methods being used

Best,
Rob

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

ivan

Quote from: Carlo_Warp on 2012.03.12, 13:30:37

What motherboard?  I have an ASUS M4A78LT-M LE board with the same 4 core processor and 4 GB memory that works without any problem, including the two 1 TB SATA drives.

As Robert says a little more information would help us to help you.

ivan

Carlo_Warp

The situation is much better now.

The RAM should be installed in the 2nd and in the 4th slot instead of in the 1st and in the 2nd.

I installed 4 gbytes and the system works well. I would like to add the second bank (4 more gbytes)

The CPU is Phenom II X4 960

At the end the problem was the graphic card, either broken or not compatible with the mainboard. It was a ATI X700 which has been replaced through a ATI 4850.

The next step is installing eCS 2.1, so I will test the USB 3 ports, as requested by Blondeguy.

Happy Easter.

In what way is it not recognized? None of it is? Only some of it is?

If it is only some of the RAM recognized, could you let us know:
- how many CPUs or cores are in the machine
- how much total memory is installed
- how much memory is recognized
- what method of SMP the board and BIOS use
- if there are options in the BIOS to change the SMP/APIC/ACPI methods being used

Best,
Rob
[/quote]