• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Back Again/2000 - open .dat files

Started by miturbide, 2012.04.19, 23:35:03

Previous topic - Next topic

miturbide

Hi Wim

Checking your post, using the file you posted and testing the files I have, there had been some progress uncompressing the .dat files.

Using restore I was able to uncompress several .dat files. The trick seems that the author of the .dat files has used different drive letter for each .dat files. So I had to restore it like:
RESTORE /R F=D C:\OS2STUFF
RESTORE /R G=D C:\OS2STUFF
..according to each .dat file drive.

But now it is late. I will see the status of uncompressed file tomorrow.
Thank you very much.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

miturbide

I had recover some of the source code and I will be posting it for the public under the GNU GPL V2 license.

Thank you very much to everyone that give me the hint with BA/2.

It will be interesting if someone can check the ZipZap source code and see if it can extract a serial number to don't use it as shareware anymore, or even better if it can be built without the shareware notice.

The binaries and source code are on hobbes:
http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-search.php?sh=1&button=Search&key=ZipZap_1-27
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide

Andi

Had a quick look at it yesterday but have to write a new makefile. Seems it was built with a real old icc which predates my OS/2 programming experience :-) Neither nmake from icc3.08 nor wmake does like the included one.

miturbide

Thanks Andy. It seems like the author used something called VISPRO/C for his development.

Thanks to the tips provided on this thread I was able to uncompressed some of the .dat files and recover some source code of Gary L. Robinson OS/2 apps.

I had publish on Hobbes the binaries and source code of:
- ZipZap: WPS integrated zip tool to compress file with right click.
- MailRUN: POP mail checker
- Stats: WPS tool to see the folder stats on the window tittle
- NetChat: Chat tool
- CMDHere: Tool that provides WPS integrated CMD calls (like the one on xworkplace)
- DataPad: A "scratch pad" to put notes.

The only bad thing is that all are shareware versions and I was unable to get a registration code, and since I don't have developer skills I was not able to remove the registration request screens.

I personally think that this two tools may be interesting today: 
- Stats: WPS tool to see the folder stats on the window tittle.

If anybody finds a registration code or a way to remove the shareware request screens of this apps please let me know.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide

aschn

Quote from: miturbide on 2012.05.11, 18:49:28
I personally think that this two tools may be interesting today: 
- Stats: WPS tool to see the folder stats on the window tittle.

Martin, I hate to say that:

Since XWP exists, that's not such a great feature anymore. Open-sourcing these packages
is exactly 10 years late.

Andreas

miturbide

Andreas, It is better late than never.  :D
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide

hausmaus

Quote from: aschn on 2012.05.11, 22:28:47
Since XWP exists, that's not such a great feature anymore. Open-sourcing these packages

I'm glad that Martin reached out and was able to obtain source code to OS/2 programs and it doesn't matter how old the programs are as someone somewhere will find them useful.  Remember, someone may not actually use the program itself but read the source to learn more about how to program for OS/2.  There's more benefits to open source programs than simply overlapping one of your favorite programs.

I think your statement is narrow-minded and over-generalized.  It also speaks nothing of Martin's efforts to help out the OS/2 community at large and not your over-inflated sense of what's good and what's not good for the OS/2 community.

sXwamp

Quote from: hausmaus on 2012.05.14, 04:41:49
Quote from: aschn on 2012.05.11, 22:28:47

I'm glad that Martin reached out and was able to obtain source code to OS/2 programs and it doesn't matter how old the programs are as someone somewhere will find them useful.  Remember, someone may not actually use the program itself but read the source to learn more about how to program for OS/2.  There's more benefits to open source programs than simply overlapping one of your favorite programs.

I think your statement is narrow-minded and over-generalized.  It also speaks nothing of Martin's efforts to help out the OS/2 community at large and not your over-inflated sense of what's good and what's not good for the OS/2 community.

I agree with you hausmaus. I have been using Desktop Wizard (combines most of his programs) by Gary for the last 10 years and his WPS programming skills is an art that has been lost in time.  One click zip/unzip and drag&drop files on a zipped files !!!  Also, I have never had a problem with it and other WPS enhancers (maybe can be add to latest eCS !!!).

Here is a review: http://www.os2notes.com/os2dwizard.html

I have the serial numbers for it available on request.

sXwamp

Quote from: miturbide on 2012.05.11, 23:12:16
miturbide

Didn't find anything regarding Desktop Wizard (source code) ???

http://www.os2notes.com/os2dwizard.html

It was his final program combining most of his programs (I have a serial number).

If you can find the source code (Desktop Wizard) I'll start a $250 bounty to have update it and add it to eCS !!!  

Opps, I just re-read the early post and saw Desktop Wizard in there !

Greggory

miturbide

Hi Greggory

I had checked all the .dat files and haven't found any "Desktop Wizard" source code.

I will try again with the author to see if he has something else around.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide

miturbide

Hi Greggory.

Gary replied to me. Sorry, it is not good news about Desktop Wizard source code.

"Sorry for the late answer to your letter.  It has been extremely busy around here lately and I am way behind on all email.

I have looked just about every place I can think of and I just can't find any other media with OS/2 stuff on it.  It looks like Desktop Wizard is lost, possibly forever.  Since I wrote Desktop Wizard I have moved twice and it probably got lost somewhere along with other discs as well. 

If I ever find it, which does NOT seem likely, I will be sure and let you know.  The source code for ZipZap, Stats, and CmdHere were originally ALL part of Desktop Wizard and the code for them were taken directly from it.

Anyhow, sorry about Desktop Wizard, but it looks like it is lost for good."

Sorry.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide