• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Where are Open Office source files?

Started by os2monkey, 2012.03.03, 11:50:17

Previous topic - Next topic

os2monkey

Does anyone know where the source files are for openoffice for os/2?
I know the apps themselves are for purchase, and i'm ok with that - but the source files should be available to the public right, since it's open source?

WarpWorld

Not sure,but maybe the same code as for Win,Linux,Mac versions...
But if it's under (L)GPL License maybe it could copying from someone who bought it for non-commercial use? Isn't it? Maybe that man is fool if copy it to you because he paid for it, but he (maybe) can do it if it's under non-modified free open source license (GPL,BSD...)...My opinion...

DougB

OpenOffice has turned into LibraOffice. Look it up.

The basic OpenOffice for eCS is the windows version, and that part is free, and available from the OpenOffice web site (if it still exists). The additional stuff to make it work properly in eCS is NOT free. You need to buy it if you want it (OpenOffice 3.2 is included as part of eCS 2.1, so if you have that, it is on CD #3, or you can download it from the Mensys login site). The additional stuff is also not (L)GPL, and the source is closed AFAIK.

FWIW, you can do your own development on what is available for windows, but I think it would be a big job.

ivan

Hi Doug,

Open Office is still going - it was handed over to the Apache foundation.

As you say LibreOffice has most of the development at the moment and, in my opinion, leaves OpenOffice for dead.

ivan

miturbide

Hi

From what I had read the OS/2 source code of OpenOffice should be included on the OpenOffice Apache Incubator site.

You can surf the source code here: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/trunk/
The code on the repository seems to have also some recent changes (or upload) from Yuri Dario.

But I'm not a developer, I don't know if it contains the full source code or if it lacks something.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

ALT

Sorry Doug, but what you say hasn't been true since the old Innotek port of OO 1.x – OpenOffice.org for OS/2 is a fully-native application.  Also, OpenOffice.org didn't "turn into" LibreOffice, LibreOffice is a fork of OpenOffice.org by a bunch of people who got turned off by Oracle's (mis-)management after the latter bought Sun.  As Ivan says, OpenOffice.org has since been turned over to the Apache Foundation and is being maintained there.  OpenOffice and LibreOffice are essentially two competing products now.

In response to the original question: the source code for OpenOffice.org, including the OS/2 port, is in the public source repository.  Anyone's free to download, compile or even help work on it – a point that Yuri made at a Warpstock Europe presentation a couple of years ago.

os2monkey

Quote from: ALT on 2012.03.04, 13:25:47

In response to the original question: the source code for OpenOffice.org, including the OS/2 port, is in the public source repository.  Anyone's free to download, compile or even help work on it – a point that Yuri made at a Warpstock Europe presentation a couple of years ago.

Thanks for the info. Is this the location of the public source repository?:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/trunk/

Or is it somewhere else.

Regarding open office being "dead". I don't think it's dead at all. Development slowed a little with the oracle debacle but work is still progressing.. and IBM recently added their own developers to the mix to help it.
Personally I still prefer openoffice under Apache to Libreoffice.

dryeo

Also I understand that after LibreOffice forked they did a bunch of code cleanup which included removing the OS/2 code.

miturbide

I think that OpenOffice is not dead, it is just what people say when the focus of a product change in some way and there is a group of people with different interests. I will consider it a dead project when there will be nobody left coding for that software, and that is not the case now.

IBM, Oracle are working on OpenOffice and switch the license of the project to the Apache license. Some months ago some people from the OpenOffice community came to Ecuador and told me that there have a lot of work consolidating the Lotus Symphony code and Oracle code to the Apache project.

Regards.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

ydario

The full OS/2 source code for Apache OpenOffice for OS/2 is committed to the Apache OO incubator project,

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/trunk/

You can grab it with

svn co http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/trunk/

and build yourself, provided you have all the required system tools and libraries in place. Everything is available in the netlabs rpm repository.

Weekly dev builds are published here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4+Unofficial+Developer+Snapshots

ALT

Quote from: dryeo on 2012.03.04, 18:57:10
Also I understand that after LibreOffice forked they did a bunch of code cleanup which included removing the OS/2 code.

That's always been a bit unclear.  When it was discussed a few months ago ISTR the prevailing theory was what they removed was some old stuff from OS/2 StarOffice 5.x which hasn't been used in years. 

I've never seen any confirmation either way.

Blonde Guy

Thanks, Yuri, for posting the developer snapshot. It's great to have you working on a new OpenOffice! I find the current release makes life with eCS much better. I can't wait to see the new one.
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

David McKenna

Thanks for the dev build link! FWIW, after installing all the requirements listed in the readme, I can't get any of the apps to start. I always get this popuplog:

03-10-2012  11:38:40  SYS2070  PID 0067  TID 0001  Slot 00a2
C:\PROGRAMS\OPENOFFICE3\PROGRAM\SOFFICE.BIN
COMPHELP->CPPUH3.__ZN3com3sun4star3uno19WeakReferenceHelperaSERKNS2_9
------------------------------------------------------------

03-10-2012  11:38:40  SYS3170  PID 0067  TID 0001  Slot 00a2
c0010001
16395d4f
EAX=00000000  EBX=00000000  ECX=00000000  EDX=00000000
ESI=1641948c  EDI=00000000 
DS=0053  DSACC=d0f3  DSLIM=5fffffff 
ES=0053  ESACC=d0f3  ESLIM=5fffffff 
FS=150b  FSACC=00f3  FSLIM=00000030
GS=0000  GSACC=****  GSLIM=********
CS:EIP=005b:1cc7b78c  CSACC=d0df  CSLIM=5fffffff
SS:ESP=0053:0012fce8  SSACC=d0f3  SSLIM=5fffffff
EBP=0012fcf0  FLG=00010206

COMPHELP.DLL 0001:00055d4f

------------------------------------------------------------

03-10-2012  11:38:40  SYS2070  PID 0067  TID 0001  Slot 00a2
ICUIN42->ICUUC42.__ZN7icu_4_27UMemorynwEj

This looks suspiciously like I am still missing a dll....

melf

The ic*.dlls pack is missing among the zip-packages. I took them from my OO32 and that worked fine.
/Mikael

ydario

Quote from: David McKenna on 2012.03.10, 18:50:04
COMPHELP->CPPUH3.__ZN3com3sun4star3uno19WeakReferenceHelperaSERKNS2_9

it seems to me that it finds some other OOo dlls around.