• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Most current stable firefox version?

Started by os2monkey, 2012.03.12, 04:51:40

Previous topic - Next topic

os2monkey

Just curious what version of firefox people are using on their setup for typical usage.
My ecomstation 2.1 setup came with 4.0.
I noticed that there is version 8, 9 & 10 available via netlabs.

10 seems to have some flukes that I noticed - so anyways i'm just curious what versions most people are using for "production" usage right now.

jep

Hello,

I stay with 9.01 on the main machine though as is stay up... though it show some of the problems found in 10 as well.

A bit "over optimized" as a download can stop or you get logged off even if the (members only) site is open in one (or more) tab(s) but you actively surf another site for a while to find some info.

RobertM

I suspect the problem with a lot of these apps (FF, OOo, etc) is that, unlike OS/2 programs of old, the draw threads and GUI threads are not "removed" from the rest of the code. This seems evidenced during the startup of each.

Side note: the behavior of Firefox on OS/2 seems much the same as it on Windows (the weird lags, issues with tabs responding and so on). It SEEMS, that on OS/2, the issues are more pronounced - but otherwise, the same. On my Windows machine, though FF is installed (and occasionally used), I switched the majority of my web surfing to Chrome for just that reason. This problem still seems to exist in the newest builds of FF for Windows.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

os2monkey

Quote from: RobertM on 2012.03.12, 18:49:51
I suspect the problem with a lot of these apps (FF, OOo, etc) is that, unlike OS/2 programs of old, the draw threads and GUI threads are not "removed" from the rest of the code. This seems evidenced during the startup of each.

Yeah I could see why that would lead to greater instability.

I've noticed on the os2world news entries it lists some of the latest firefox and seamonkey releases as "unofficial".
Is there a list of the versions that are considered official somewhere?

Seamonkey 2.6 crashed for me recently with a dll popup.. whereas 2.014 seems pretty solid.

dryeo

Strictly speaking, they're all unofficial in the sense that none are built by Mozilla.org. The last version that had official branding is FF 8 which was uploaded to Netlabs as Walter had problems uploading it to Mozilla. The corresponding SeaMonkey and Thunderbird were uploaded to Mozilla.
I didn't use official branding as I didn't trust my tree (being on dialup makes pulling a virgin tree impossible).
As for stability, probably FF4 is the most stable with the occasional crash in the font matching code showing up in FF 6+ and later versions having focus issues. The focus issues are easy to work around by clicking on the desktop or a different window and the newer Firefox versions having better memory usage and being faster.
Newer versions also have a bug where printing to a PDF starts failing after printing the second or so document. Workaround is to restart the browser.
Personally I find SeaMonkey to be faster then Firefox.