• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

SNAP GAMODE on VirtualBox and 1366x768

Started by miturbide, 2012.03.25, 18:25:50

Previous topic - Next topic

miturbide

Hi

I decided to start again the fight to try to get higher resolution on eCS 2.1 guest on a VirtualBox VM.

• Host: Win 7 x64
  • Guest: eComStation 2.1 SMP (with SNAP installed)
  • VirtualBox: 4.1.10

My goal is to obtain a 1366x768 resolution on the eCS 2.1 VM.

I had tried from the Vbox command (from the host machine):
VBoxManage setextradata "<name of the VM>" CustomVideo1 "1366x768x32"

And later I started playing arround with GAMODE on the eCS 2.1 guest and the displays configuration, but I can not get a 1366x768.
I tried:
gamode add 1366 768 32
and I get:
Failed to add mode 1366 x 768 x 32!

Does anybody has more experience playing with SNAP gamode? Do you think I can get a 1366x768 resolution with the current SNAP driver?

Thanks.

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

ivan

Martin,

Any restrictions will be in the vbox virtual driver not in the SNAP driver in eCS.

In a nutshell - if the virtual video driver doesn't support it, you are not going to get it.

ivan

miturbide

Hi Ivan
Quote from: ivan on 2012.03.25, 19:38:52
In a nutshell - if the virtual video driver doesn't support it, you are not going to get it.

uhm.. in that case, Windows running as a guest can use that 1366x768 resolution without issues. 

If it is not possible to obtain this resolution I still think that is a limitation of the SNAP video driver (or any OS/2 video driver) instead of the Virtual Machine video. ...but this is only my guess.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide

ivan

I don't think there is any problem with the SNAP drivers on OS/2.  I have SNAP quite happy to drive my 28" monitor at 1920 x 1200.  In fact that was the resolution that the driver gave as standard for the monitor.

Bearing that in mind what 16 x 9 resolutions does the screen object in system setup give?  If there are a few of the smaller resolutions and nothing the size you are looking for, then the problem returns to the virtual video driver not supplying the necessary information to the SNAP driver.  This is the same as you will get with the SNAP drivers until you select the monitor or supply the necessary inf file.

ivan

rudi

Martin,

QuoteMy goal is to obtain a 1366x768 resolution on the eCS 2.1 VM.

ISTR, that you have to add the required resolution to VirtualBox before you can use it
in an OS/2 guest. On the host run:

vboxmanage setextradata "Your VM name" "CustomVideoMode1" "1366x768x32"

Then try again to set the resolution in SNAP (or whatever video driver you use).

QuoteWindows running as a guest can use that 1366x768 resolution without issues.

This is a different story. AFAIK, the guest additions for Window dynamically resize the
guest's desktop whenever you change the window size. Something not possible with
OS/2's...

miturbide

Quote from: rudi on 2012.03.26, 08:52:24
On the host run:

vboxmanage setextradata "Your VM name" "CustomVideoMode1" "1366x768x32"

Then try again to set the resolution in SNAP (or whatever video driver you use).

I already did that on the VM, but I still don't know what I'm missing on SNAP to make that resolution show up.

Once I run "vboxmanage setextradata..." on the host, does the resolution has to appear on the "Screen" options of the guest? or there had to be done something else?
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide

rudi

Oops, obviously I didn't read your initial posting carefully enough... Anyway, yes, I'd think that the
resolution should show up. But I cannot tell for sure, I'm using the display driver from the OS/2
guest additions and I enabled "1440x900x32" as described.

miturbide

Thanks rudi

I'm also using the VBOX guest additions video driver:

gendradd.dll
vendor: Innotek
rev: 5.01
date:23 Jul 2007 15:39:39
File Version 5.1.370
File Description: VirtualBox GRADD (C) 2007 innotek GmbH

But the resolution included with "vboxmanage setextradata..." is not showing on the list.
I tried also to include 1440x900x32 and didn't show on the list also.

Any comments are welcome.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide

Paul Smedley

Quote from: miturbide on 2012.03.26, 17:40:32
Thanks rudi

I'm also using the VBOX guest additions video driver:

gendradd.dll
vendor: Innotek
rev: 5.01
date:23 Jul 2007 15:39:39
File Version 5.1.370
File Description: VirtualBox GRADD (C) 2007 innotek GmbH

But the resolution included with "vboxmanage setextradata..." is not showing on the list.
I tried also to include 1440x900x32 and didn't show on the list also.

Any comments are welcome.

If you're using Snap, is gengradd.dll used? or is sddgradd.dll used?

miturbide

Hi Paul.

How do I know which one I'm using?  On the C:\OS2\DLL I have both files sddgradd.dll and gengradd.dll

On the config.sys I have "DEVICE=C:\OS2\SDDHELP.SYS" is there something else missing from the SNAP driver?
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide

Paul Smedley

Hi Martin,
Quote from: miturbide on 2012.04.02, 06:27:21
How do I know which one I'm using?  On the C:\OS2\DLL I have both files sddgradd.dll and gengradd.dll

On the config.sys I have "DEVICE=C:\OS2\SDDHELP.SYS" is there something else missing from the SNAP driver?

In my config.sys, I had 'set C1=SDDGRADD'

I reset to VGA, installed gengradd, replaced gengradd.dll with the Innotek version, rebooted, and voila I had the extra resolutions I had added.

Thanks to this thread, I finally got to working out why it wasn't working for me :)

miturbide

Thanks Paul

I also had set C1=SDDGRADD on the config.sys. I will try reseting to VGA and installing gengradd again.

One question, when you reset to VGA (I guess with Alt-F1), the statement "DEVICE=C:\OS2\SDDHELP.SYS" got removed (and all SNAP related stuff). Did you added it again to the config.sys after installing gengradd?
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide

cyberspittle

OT,  but have you tried other virtualizaion applications?