• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Can't install anything in Win-OS/2

Started by mattrock1988, 2012.04.18, 09:50:39

Previous topic - Next topic

mattrock1988

Hello guys:

So I have been messing around with eComStation 2.0 and I happen to have a problem on my hands. For whatever reason, whether I attempt to install a 16-bit Windows app or a software driver, I either get an error saying I have no disk space or that a disk has not been found. Here is a screenshot of my attempt to install Sound Blaster 16 drivers (Win 3.x) for illustrative purposes...

So what the heck could be going on? I'm confused here. Thanks for the help!

Matt

hecom

I had the same problem several years ago. It seems that the installer for Win16 doesn't recognize drives larger than (nn) MB. I solved the problem so I copied WINOS2 directory from my old PC to the new installation.
Regards
Davorin

melf

/Mikael

RobertM

Quote from: hecom on 2012.04.18, 10:20:15
I had the same problem several years ago. It seems that the installer for Win16 doesn't recognize drives larger than (nn) MB. I solved the problem so I copied WINOS2 directory from my old PC to the new installation.
Regards
Davorin

Correct. 2GB - or inotherwords, the FAT limit. I think due to the overflow that cuases the issue, certain size partitions may not experience the problem - but obviously thats not related to this particular scenario. ;)

Melf's solution is the workaround for your general problem, but IIRC, you should not need to install any SB16 drivers for WinOS2. SB16 support should automatically be installed when the native OS/2 drivers are installed in every version of Warp upwards. If you are not using the IBM provided drivers, I'd suggest installing the latest ones of those. IIRC (again), that will allow better resource and hardware usage as less - if any - direct hardware access will be required for sound in the WinOS2 session... but it's been a while, so my memory on this might be a bit flakey.

-Rob

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

mattrock1988

Quote from: RobertM on 2012.04.19, 10:02:10
Quote from: hecom on 2012.04.18, 10:20:15
Regards
Davorin

Correct. 2GB - or inotherwords, the FAT limit. I think due to the overflow that cuases the issue, certain size partitions may not experience the problem - but obviously thats not related to this particular scenario. ;)

Melf's solution is the workaround for your general problem, but IIRC, you should not need to install any SB16 drivers for WinOS2. SB16 support should automatically be installed when the native OS/2 drivers are installed in every version of Warp upwards. If you are not using the IBM provided drivers, I'd suggest installing the latest ones of those. IIRC (again), that will allow better resource and hardware usage as less - if any - direct hardware access will be required for sound in the WinOS2 session... but it's been a while, so my memory on this might be a bit flakey.

-Rob

Well here's another brain teaser for you. I just repartitioned the disk so now I have OS/2 installed within a 2GB HPFS partition. However, despite the installers for DOS and Windows 3.x apps now seeing the disk, I now have a new problem. The sound card is a Sound Blaster 16 PnP ISA model, but whenever I try and install the drivers for it provided by Creative in Win-OS/2, the Drivers panel complains and says the driver files are "missing". Is this because the DOS installer didn't take into account that OS/2 won't honor certain modifications to SYSTEM.INI or pass them on to Win-OS/2? I'm not sure how to proceed here, aside from using the rather limited Sound Blaster 1.5 driver included with Win-OS/2.

Thanks,

Matt

RobertM

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Pete

Hi Matt

Many many years ago I had a SB AWE32 P'n'P ISA soundcard. There used to be a trick to getting the Windows audio support installed which was something like this:-

Edit the winos2 system.ini file and add the following

[sndblast.drv]
Port=
Int=
DmaChannel=
HDmaChannel=
MidiPort=

Obviously you will need to add the appropriate values to the above.

Then you need to add the drivers to the list of installed drivers using the Control Panel, Add Unlisted/Updated driver. You need to do the Add process for all drivers involved with the SB - midi, wave and any others involved.

I also seem to recall an SBWIN.INI file was involved, which may have only had an entry showing the OS/2 boot drive letter.

Sorry to not be much help but it must be over 12 years since I last installed an AWE32...

Regards

Pete

IBManners

Martin Iturbide has also been repacking a lot of sound drivers that are on Hobbes http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-browse.php?dir=/pub/os2/system/drivers/sound  as well as at http://www.os2site.com/sw/drivers/audio/index.html - see sound_blaster_awe32-sb32-sb16_19970101.zip

With the SB 16 PnP cards, I had better results installing manually in config.sys as well as system.ini, ie, specifying IRQ and Port address. should be info re that etc in the file(s) somewhere.

Cheers
Ian
I am the computer, it is me.

RobertM

I *think* the package below, or one of the ones on that site automates the whole install, which might be why i am misremembering Warp's installer doing it. Its been a while...

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Phil

This does not answer orignal question but might be simlar
After a re install ECS 2.1, unable to install win os2 programs that
Heretofore worked fine.  In command prompt window, tried to open win 16 window or full screen will not start win os2 session.
Any thoughts, suggestion greatly appreciated.

regards
Phil

Andi

Quote from: Phil on 2012.04.19, 22:46:31
This does not answer orignal question but might be simlar
After a re install ECS 2.1, unable to install win os2 programs that
Heretofore worked fine.  In command prompt window, tried to open win 16 window or full screen will not start win os2 session.
Any thoughts, suggestion greatly appreciated.

regards
Phil

ACPI involved? Till ACPI3.19 (?) I needed /PIC parameter with acpi.psd to have working WinOS2. Since acpi3.20.1 WinOS2 works here even with high IRQs enabled (no /VW or other acpi switches). There are entries in the ecomstation bugtracker too.

Phil

Andi
no, acpi not involved.  After a disastrous attempt to install xp on a usb hard drive, I
reinstalled ecs 2.1 and am running single processor till I get my system rebuilt.
thanks for the reply
Phil