• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Installation of eCS 2.1 on new hardware

Started by Carlo_Warp, 2012.04.14, 13:21:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo_Warp

After having solved the hardware problems mentioned here: http://www.os2world.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,63/topic,5010.msg24249/topicseen,1/#new, I started the installation of eCS 2.1.

I choose "ACPI on modern hardware" and "Sata AHCI driver" from the setup menu.

In spite of that, the installation hangs on the eComstation 2 boot logo.

My hardware:

Mainboard: Asus Sabertooth 990 FX Socket AM3+
Processor: AMD Phenom II 960 X4 BE
8 Gbytes of Ram
Graphic Card: Ati Sapphire 4850

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

xchris

I think its due ACPI issues.. (in my case I see the TRAP D error, or just freeze on that screen)

chris

ivan

Having read of the problems with ACPI, I would suggest that you try to install without it - I think it can be added after the install is complete.

ivan

Carlo_Warp

After having removed the ACPI and chosen "continue boot", I got another TRAP. I suppose, that ACPI is too important for a multicore processor.

xchris

Quote from: Carlo_Warp on 2012.04.14, 23:30:41
After having removed the ACPI and chosen "continue boot", I got another TRAP. I suppose, that ACPI is too important for a multicore processor.

yeah.. we need a refresh boot CD  now!! I m pretty sick running the eCS under virtualbox instead native! :-}

ivan

What was the trap this time?

I am running WSeB on my 4 core AMD setup and it installed without problems - no ACPI at all.

ivan

Carlo_Warp

This time I got a "TRAP 000d":

"The system detected an internal processing error at location ##0168:fff0f667 - 000f:e667.
60000, 9084

0c86090f
Internal revision 14.105_SMP

As I already said, I disableb the ACPI and I enabled the AHCI Sata driver.

ivan

Humm...

A couple of things come to mind.

I am using the standard Dani drivers on my system with all SATA disks (500 GB and 1 TB) and DVDs and everything works.  I assume the AHCI SATA driver you mention is something with eCS.

You could check your bios to see if the disks are set to be 'IDE' or 'AHCI'.  I don't think using the AHCI driver will work if the disks are set to 'IDE' and vice versa.  If they are set to 'AHCI' you could try changing them to 'IDE' and use the Dani driver for the install.  Again, if that works you are up and running.

Another observation. There appears - based on comments here and on newsgroups - that eCS 2.1 has more problems installing on any hardware than version 2.

ivan

Carlo_Warp

After having inserted the bootable Cd of eCS, I have chosen:

1) Boot from eComstation CD and then

2) Boot with menu for own values

Here, in eComstation Boot Options, I selected the AHCI SATA driver. I need it, because my mainboard has only Sata ports and no IDE ports.

DougB

QuoteI need it, because my mainboard has only Sata ports and no IDE ports.

There seems to be some misconceptions about SATA, IDE, and AHCI here.

What you need to (or can) use depends on the BIOS in the machine. If the BIOS supports using SATA as IDE, the Dani driver will use it as an IDE device. This **MAY** require setting the BIOS to use the SATA in Compatibility (IDE) mode if it won't switch between modes automatically. Some examples:

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad T510, that will support the SATA in either Compatibility (IDE), or AHCI mode. It will NOT automatically switch, so I need to set the BIOS for the desired mode. In this case, I set it for AHCI, because I also have WIn7, which prefers AHCI (it will not work in Compatibility mode, without changing some settings in the Win7 registry). Using eCS with the AHCI driver, and the /r /s /n switches works great.

I also have a desktop, with an Asus M3A78-EM motherboard. It has a BIOS setting for SATA Compatibility (IDE) or AHCI. When set to AHCI, it will not work in IDE mode. When set to Compatibility mode, it will work in IDE mode, but it will also switch to AHCI mode, if I load the AHCI driver first. This machine also has WinXP on it, and WinXP prefers Compatibility mode, but can be made to work in AHCI mode, if you want to spend a LOT of time messing around to find the proper drivers, then convince them to install. My decision here was to leave the machine set to Compatibility (IDE) mode. Then, I tried the AHCI driver, with various switches, in eCS. It works, for a while, then traps the system, so I have been using it with the Dani driver (IDE mode).

The bottom line is, that the AHCI driver is only required on those machines that do not support SATA in Compatibility (IDE) mode. However, it can be useful on machines where you want to use AHCI for other reasons (such as compatibility with other operating systems). Of course, it needs to work properly to be able to use it. I have tried AHCI on the Asus machine, but I don't use it because there is a problem, which has been reported (and may actually be a BIOS support problem). It is important for those who can, to try the driver. It appears that SATA Compatibility (IDE) mode will, eventually, go away (and already has on some machines), so the AHCI driver needs to be tested on as many machines, as possible, so the problems can be fixed, before we have no choice but to use it.

Carlo_Warp

Thank you for your explanation.

I was suggested by another user to open a ticket on the bug tracker of ecomstation.

He said that the problem could be the kernel. I get the TRAP after the white box appears on the upper left corner.