• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Weird hangs and impossible reboot.

Started by eilygre, 2012.07.18, 01:38:52

Previous topic - Next topic

eilygre

My PC (eCS 2.1) has all weird types of hangs. Normally I can just reboot one or two times and I am back in business.
But not this time.
I just wanted to shut down and pressed the shut down button. Then the Extended Shutdown window poped up and I selected Shut down only and pressed Ok.
Coming back to the computer half an hour later it was hanging in the pop up window with the text: Releasing file systems and showing 100 % done. It didn't respond to any action and I just had to switch it of (power off).
Then I tried to switch it on the normal way. Every thing seemed to work and it came up with the blue background and the ePager, and there it stopped with the time glass (mouse pointer) in the middle. I tried to start with pressing Alt+F2 and select an earlier config file. But the same result.
I still have eCS 2.0 installed and I wonder if I can copy a file from 2.0 or do I have to reinstall 2.1. Anyone know?

Einar Lygre

EugeneGorbunoff

I am using this method to reboot OS/2/eCS during the last 15 years:

* save all your files
* Press Ctrl-Alt-Del,  press Ctrl-Alt-Del one more time  and reboot starts.

all caches are saved. no need to wait.

Pete

Hi Einar

Sounds like the file systems may not have been shutdown properly.

I suggest booting from a different volume or the Install CD - select Maintenance Console - and running chkdsk /f against all drives that had been in use.

Another possibility is that the os2.ini or os2sys.ini (or both) files have been "munged" by the failed shutdown - seen that a few times myself. You could check that while booted from a different volume or the Install CD although you may have to use attrib -r -s -h os2*.ini before checking file sizes to see if they look reasonable. If either of those files is "munged" you will need to replace them with the latest backup version you have. Obviously you will lose any Desktop changes made since the last backup.

Hope something above helps

Pete

DougB

QuoteComing back to the computer half an hour later it was hanging in the pop up window with the text: Releasing file systems and showing 100 % done. It didn't respond to any action and I just had to switch it of (power off).

I saw that once. I had to press the reset button (which would be equivalent to power off, then on).

Quoteit came up with the blue background and the ePager, and there it stopped

I have seen that a couple of times (it seems to be unrelated to the first problem). It happened after a system crash, but Ctrl-Alt-Del (twice) has always caused a clean reboot.

QuoteI tried to start with pressing Alt+F2 and select an earlier config file.

I think you mean Alt+F1 to get to the menu.

QuoteI wonder if I can copy a file from 2.0 or do I have to reinstall 2.1.

Re-install, or copying files, probably won't help. I think you have run into a problem that can happen just as the WPS is starting up. What you probably need to do, is change the boot timing somehow. Try adding a file AltF2on.$$$ to the root of the boot drive. It doesn't matter what is in it, the system simply looks to see if that file exists, and if it does, it acts as if you had done Alt-F2 immediately after the boot starts. That will slow the boot slightly (probably not really noticeable) because it will display the startup information. If you are lucky, that should change the timing of the problem enough that it won't affect you any more.

eilygre

Thank you all of you, but this does not solve the problem.
During the boot process it stops at the run command "RUN=E:\OS2\EXTENDFS.EXE * " and without displaying the blue background or the ePager. The next command in the CONFIG file is "CALL=E:\IBMCOM\PROTOCOL\NETBIND.EXE". I don't know if this means it has finished the extendfs.exe and can't do the CALL or if it really stops at the RUN statement. To me it looks like it really has to do with file systems (the FS in the RUN statement).
I would appreciate more proposals. 

Einar

DougB

Try REMing the "RUN=E:\OS2\EXTENDFS.EXE *" line in CONFIG.SYS. That line is not, normally, needed anyway, and if that is what is causing the problem, it should then work (or, perhaps give you some other indication). You can also REM the "CALL=E:\IBMCOM\PROTOCOL\NETBIND.EXE" line, but your networking won't work.

I doubt that either one will let it boot. It will probably just stop at the next RUN or CALL statement. I expect that this is related to a problem, that I have seen more than once, where the boot stops after executing the last DEVICE statement, and before it starts to run the RUN and CALL statements.

Three other things to try:

1) Add the line "DEVICE=STOP.SYS" at the end of your CONFIG.SYS. There is no STOP.SYS, so the system will stop, and complain that it is missing, with the option to use ENTER to continue. That should allow whatever causes the blockage to finish, and when it continues, it should work. If that works, you can use other methods to cause a timed delay.

2) Try sorting the CONFIG.SYS with my Logical Config.SYS Sort (LCSS) program:

hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/util/config/LCSS-0-4-4.wpi

Be sure to READ the instructions.

3) If you use ACPI, and have a Software Subscription, get the latest available version of ACPI (3.20.03 at this time). Of course, you will need to get the machine booted to install it using the installer.

Andi

Have you checked the size of the ini files \os2\os2.ini and \os2\os2sys.ini? If one or both have size 0 then replace them with os2.!!! os2sys.!!!

Other solution maybe <ALT> <F1> and use a working archive.