• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

How to install two instance of eCS?²

Started by fvanzeveren, 2012.05.14, 18:34:26

Previous topic - Next topic

fvanzeveren

Hello

I would like to install a second instance od eCS for expirimentation (i.e. installing new drivers) in order to avoid corrupting the main instance.
Also, i would like to put the home folder into a separate partition

Is that possible? How should I proceeed?

Thanks for your help.

Regards

RobertM

Yes, it is possible. The first step is to have BootManager installed. After that, you will need to create a separate partition for the new installation. There are a variety of methods you can use, including hiding the boot partitions from each other (while having the data/apps/other partitions visible to both).

Leaving them visible to each other is NOT a problem - with ONE exception... don't EVER open the Desktop folder of one installation from the other. "Neat" things may happen if you do so. The same should probably apply to any desktop archives in either installation's archive folders.

Start the installation, select and make the partition installable during the installation phase, make sure both are added to Boot Manager, and proceed with the installation. Once the installation is complete, you should have two boot options via Boot Manager.

All of the partitioning and boot manager stuff can be performed in the installer.

Best,
Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Pete

Hi

To create the home directory on a different partition drive simply create the home directory on whatever drive you chose.

Then change the line in the [BootDrive]:\config.sys file so that it points to the new location - the line starts with SET HOME=

You may also want to xcopy any directories and files already in the existing HOME directory to the new location.

With regard to the 2nd(3rd/4th etc) install of eCS use AirBoot as the Boot Manager instead of the IBM Boot Manager as AirBoot does not require a partition. I think you would need to run [BootDrive]:\ecs\bin\AIRBOOT2.EXE to install Air Boot.

Regards

Pete

fvanzeveren

Thank you to both of you for your helpful answers.

Regards