• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Which is most compatible with eCS 2.1: Thinkap T43 or Lenovo T60

Started by fvanzeveren, 2012.05.16, 10:55:00

Previous topic - Next topic

fvanzeveren

Dear all

I am wondering which of these laptop is most compatible with eCS 2.1: the IBM Thinkpad T43 or the Lenovo Thinkpad T60? Both with a XSGA+ (1440x1050) screen.

My main usage will be: email + internet browsing + office work + programming... So I am not looking for pure performance, but really for compatibility and comfort of use.

Best regards

François

EugeneGorbunoff

What do you think about Thinkpad T61? Thinkpad X300? Thinkpad X61?

TP60 works with Windows only -
http://ecomstation.ru/hardware.php?action=category&section=brand

ALT

The T43 is more compatible, at least if you use APM rather than ACPI mode.  Not sure how well ACPI works on the T43, but since it supports APM very well you don't need ACPI.

Of course, the T43 is a slightly older system, with all else that implies.

fvanzeveren

Thanks

Sorry if this question seemed stupid or useless...

Looks like the T43 is a better choice to run eCS 2.1.

Regards

Andi

QuoteLooks like the T43 is a better choice to run eCS 2.1
In terms of compatibility, driver support and price yes. With docking station which should be rather inexpensive these days you get a serial port too I think. At least this is the case with T42p. This may be handy if you want to debug device drivers or traps. Don't know about the newer models like T61...

melf

/Mikael

diver

Quote from: EugeneGorbunoff on 2012.05.16, 11:38:40
What do you think about Thinkpad T61? Thinkpad X300? Thinkpad X61?

TP60 works with Windows only -
http://ecomstation.ru/hardware.php?action=category&section=brand

the above is 100% not true. The T60 as well as also the R60 work very nicely with ecs 2.1

DougB

Be aware, that "T43", and probably "T60" are a series of machines, and they can be quite different. I can comment on the foillowing:

IBM ThinkPad A22e (I don't remember the exact model number, and it is ancient), works better than the newer models (even with eCS 2.1). Suspend/Resume works perfectly (done by BIOS with APM support). SNAP works perfectly. It has an INTEL 100 mbs NIC, with an INTEL driver. No wireless, but it works with my (now old) Asus Wl-330g wireless adapter. The biggest "problem" is that it only has 256 meg of memory, and it only has Win98. I think it might run Win2K, but I am pretty sure that WinXP would be unusable.

IBM ThinkPad T43 (1871-W8M). It will not work with APM (no BIOS support), but ACPI works reasonably well. Suspend/Resume appears to work, but it never turns the video back light on after a resume, so I can't tell for sure. I am using Panorama with it because it is faster than SNAP in VESA  mode. The Broadcom 1 GB NIC and the Intel 2915abg wireless (8086:4224) are well supported by GENMAC. It comes with WinXP PRO, and works well with eCS 2.1.

Lenovo ThinkPad T510 (4313-CTO). The latest ACPI works well, but it has the same problem with Suspend/Resume as the T43. The video back light never comes back on. I am not sure that it actually does the resume, since it always does the long chkdsk at  reboot. The INTEL 1 GB NIC works well with the Multimac INTEL driver. I can get GENMAC to load a driver for the RTL8191SEvB Wireless LAN (10EC:8172), but GENMAC always thinks it has been assigned IRQ0, while everything else thinks it got IRQ17. If I ever try to do anything with it, the machine hangs. For wireless support, I simply use my old Asus WL-330g, and hope that the Multimac project will pick it up, soon. The machine comes with Win7, and it was a bit of a battle to convince Win7 to cooperate with eCS, but it can be done. AHCI 1.22 (with /r /s /n) seems to work well, which should make that project a little easier. Again, I use Panorama for better support than SNAP in VESA mode.

So, what you get may, or may not, work with eCS. All you can do is try it, and be prepared to do a lot of experimenting to get some of it working.

Blonde Guy

If suspend/resume is crucial to you, then the T43 (2xxx) and T43p are best, and for subnotebook, X41 because they all run with APM.

If you want a fast, cheap notebook, the oldest T60 (195x) are best because they run SNAP graphics accelerated. Same for subnotebook, X60 runs great.

If you want faster, but with panorama, T61p may be best for widescreen, and T60p for standard screen. These two are the last with working WiFi. WiFi now works with lots more WPA2 access points due to newer port of WPA supplicant.

If you are willing to live without suspend/resume and WiFi and maybe more, you can use some newer notebook.

I sell the above notebooks preloaded with eCS on my website.
http://www.blondeguy.com/ComputersForSale.html

Mensys says Suspend/Resume is coming soon for most notebooks.
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

fvanzeveren

Thanks to all for you replies...

I finally choose for a used T43 with 1GB RAM, 40GB HARD DRIVE and a XSGA+ screen (1440x1050) with its docking station.

I had the possibility to buy a T60 for 25% more, but as I am looking for compatibility with eCS 2.1 more than pure performance, I think the T43 is a more sensible choice. My main use will be programming, (wired) surfing, email and basic office with openoffice. No image or video editing, no music listing, etc... so I do not think I would have use of more power ;)...

For the time being, I am running eCS 2.1 on a Compaq Evo N800c and it works perfectly well, except the fan which works a lot and make too much noise. Hope this will ne better with the T43 ;)

François