• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Installation hangs on splash screen after first reboot (was SYS0039)

Started by fvanzeveren, 2012.05.18, 18:34:42

Previous topic - Next topic

fvanzeveren

Hello All

I would like to install OS/2 Warp 4 on my Toshiba Satellite 220CS (Pentium 133Mhz with 144Mb RAM and a Hardrive of 60GB)

I have the three installation disks and the installation CD.

But, once the system has loaded all three installation disks, I get the following error message:

SYS0039: The C: device is not ready

I have read on the net I should update to newer installation disks... but have ne idea a safe place to download them.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

François

melf

I think you could get a good answer here:  http://www.os2world.com/forum/index.php/topic,4750.0.html . If you just come to the forum part please choose Setup and Installation and then  topic "OS/2 Warp 4.52 RAM & HDD Limitations" . I think you'll see other topics of interest there too.

/Mikael

fvanzeveren

Cheers

Your link should definitively solve my problem...

I first did a search through the forum on "SYS0039" without success...

Regards

François

ivan

A couple of things.

Did you choose the advanced install to allow you to select a partition and format it?  Using this method allows you to create a reasonable size partition for your boot drive and format it HPFS.

What size is the hard disk you are trying to install on?  If it is over a few GB you will run into problems with the old ibm1s506.add driver.

If it would be of help to you I can e-mail you the updated disk images I used before I created a CD boot install CD.

ivan

fvanzeveren

Hello

Yes, i have choosen the advanced intallation... and use updated disks from http://www.warpdoctor.org/downloads.html.

Nevertheless, i still encounters a problem... fdisk just fails to format the installable partition...

So, i will try to follow the installation procedure found at http://www.deltasys.org/tips.html#config with boot manager partition to see if it does the trick...

Francois

fvanzeveren

Hello everybody

Ok, now my hard drive is properly recognized and fdisk successfully create the partitions (boot manager, c: as installable partition (primary 5 Gio) and d: as document partition (extended 15 Gb)...Installation succeeded until the first reboot when my PC just hang on the blue spash screen "OS2 Warp". According to the installation guide I found on the internet, I should end up on a configuration screen. Unfortunately, it never appears...

If anybody has an idea that could help me solve this problem?

Thanks for yout help.

François

ivan

For a start, why such a large boot partition - 1GB is more than enough, the largest I have ever used is 2GB and that is on a 1TB drive.  Just remember a 1.5GB drive was considered huge when Warp 4 came out.

Check the config.sys on the second diskette (disk 1) to see if it has copyfromfloppy=1  If it hasn't then the updated drivers have not been copied to your hard disk and there is the problem.

You can also use the diskettes to boot to a command prompt (F3 instead of enter) and use tedit on the third diskette to examine config.sys  (tedit c:\config.sys) to check there are no duplicates or other strange entries.

ivan

fvanzeveren

Hello

THe config.sys looks right... The copyfromfloppy is set to 1. And indeed, during the installation process, it asked me to introduce both disquettes 1 and 2 anc copied lots of file to the c: drive.

I will try to create a updated bootable OS2 Wrap 4 installation CD...

Regards

François

RobertM

That's the correct next step IF you want an install partition greater than the limits imposed by the BIOS.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

fvanzeveren

Hello

For the time being... I give up  :-\

OS/2 does not like my Toshiba 220CS... or at least its 60GB hard disk...

I will try eCS 2.1 to see if it can run decently on such old configuration...

Edit: actually, eCS 2.1 does not like either this laptop... so back to windows 3.11 and 98 ...

Regards

RobertM

Sorry to hear that. But honestly you never tried - thus arent giving up. How about the MAKE A PARTITION THE BIOS SUPPORTS BOOTING OFF OF? suggestions, which have been worded a couple of ways?

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

fvanzeveren

I did create a small partition of 1gb to boot... but it did not work... the installer just don't like it...

Even ecs2 messed my drive...

For the time being, i use ecs successfully on a evo n800c, while my toshiba runs debian with window maker ...

RobertM

Quote from: fvanzeveren on 2012.05.23, 22:30:24
I did create a small partition of 1gb to boot... but it did not work... the installer just don't like it...

Even ecs2 messed my drive...

For the time being, i use ecs successfully on a evo n800c, while my toshiba runs debian with window maker ...

Apologies. You may wish to try the following:
(a) make sure A: is set as the boot drive in your BIOS
(b) WIPE the entire disk (dfSEE is a great tool for this) - ALL partitions and MBRs.
(c) Install Boot Manager at the BEGINNING of free space
(d) Create the 1GB partition directly after Boot Manager

Step B is a must for Warp 4 and earlier where the drive has FAT32, NTFS or any other Windows partition or partition information.

The final issue may simply be that the laptop will not properly support such a drive - does its BIOS properly recognize it (size, model number string, brand, etc)? You may wish to run something like IBM/Hitachi Drive Fitness Test on the machine to (a) verify the drive is good, and (b) verify it is properly recognizing it.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

RobertM

Quote from: fvanzeveren on 2012.05.19, 10:24:11
Hello everybody

Ok, now my hard drive is properly recognized and fdisk successfully create the partitions (boot manager, c: as installable partition (primary 5 Gio) and d: as document partition (extended 15 Gb)...Installation succeeded until the first reboot when my PC just hang on the blue spash screen "OS2 Warp". According to the installation guide I found on the internet, I should end up on a configuration screen. Unfortunately, it never appears...

If anybody has an idea that could help me solve this problem?

Thanks for yout help.

François

I've found booting to the command prompt from the floppies, and manually overwriting the updated files is sometimes necessary right before the reboot.

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|