• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Update on new Flash version for OS/2

Started by Saijin_Naib, 2009.03.31, 08:14:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Saijin_Naib

Hey Roderick, does this mean that you guys will sponsor the continuing development of ODIN or WINE for eCS?

Pete

Hi Saijin_Naib

The way I read the update is that Odin has to be updated in order to get Flash10 - the current "real" goal - working and will need updating in order to get Flash9 working reasonably well.

Whether those Odin code updates get released to the "OS/2 World" in general or whether they are simply used to support Flash (and maybe a few other win32 apps?) is something we will have to wait and see I guess.

Mensys would not want to shoot themselves in the foot by releasing code that could run win32 apps that they are currently paying to port to OS/2, eg recent/current OpenOffice build, so I would not be surprised if they took the "Innotek route" of using their enhanced code to "wrap" applications on an as needed, chargeable, basis - got to recover the expenses involved somewhere.

Nor would I be ungrateful - as long as "the price is right" for the app involved   :-)

I do wonder if "... the Windows binaries of Flash with eComStation." means that 1 will need to renew their Software Subscription when it becomes due in the near future in order to obtain a copy... Good chance that eCS2.0 will make it out the door before Flash10 anyway  :-)

Just some thoughts...

Pete

rwklein

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2009.03.31, 08:14:56
Hey Roderick, does this mean that you guys will sponsor the continuing development of ODIN or WINE for eCS?

Thats a bridge to far. We will see what code needs to be added to ODIN to make things work when there is a need for. Mensys does not see the development of ODIN economic viable to support WINE like approach on eCS. To try and run as many as possible Windows applications as possible on eCS. This is something volenteers would need todo. From what I have seen there are plenty of people are that could do something but partly choose to not do so because of lack of time or not because they don't want to put in the commitment.

Roderick Klein
Mensys

cyber

Lack of time is indeed a big problem, we should recruit army of youngest users to do such jobs. And define those jobs as "interesting games".
I have two little experienced testers for new flash versions (atleast to test newest flash games). :)
Newer Odin is also interesting.

Paul Smedley

Quote from: rwklein on 2009.04.01, 12:21:48
Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2009.03.31, 08:14:56

Thats a bridge to far. We will see what code needs to be added to ODIN to make things work when there is a need for. Mensys does not see the development of ODIN economic viable to support WINE like approach on eCS. To try and run as many as possible Windows applications as possible on eCS. This is something volenteers would need todo. From what I have seen there are plenty of people are that could do something but partly choose to not do so because of lack of time or not because they don't want to put in the commitment.

I understand all of the above - but will Mensys commit the Odin updates to SVN so that others can use these improvements for possibly porting other applications?

Michaelhz

Quote from: Paul Smedley on 2009.04.02, 05:10:38
I understand all of the above - but will Mensys commit the Odin updates to SVN so that others can use these improvements for possibly porting other applications?
... something which is highly appreciated! Actually i am fiddling around with cvs code of odin as well as wine-sources. Very frustrating, because you know that there is more actual code without access for the public.

@Roderick: It is doubtful that anyone will give a commitment without having access to the latest odin/innowin-code.

BR
Michael

rwklein

Michaelhz could you contact me privately on rwklein@mensys._removethis_com

Thanks