• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

New way for netcard support

Started by pasha, 2012.03.02, 18:37:07

Previous topic - Next topic

pasha

UniMac drivers is ready for Atheros family gigabit card. How want traditionals from UniAud, project has 2 part. Open under GPL linux source. And close OS/2 part. So, by traditional 2 drivers. LinMac.sys and UniMac.os2. Architecture of drivers is. Linux source driver w/o change or minimal change (replace void *a++ to char *a++) and not changes os/2 part. Linux part is common. OS/2 driver can multiple. I  am think, that new drivers will add by demand w/o change source OS/2 and linux source. Now last version at ftp://pas.selfip.net/UniMac.zip.  Now I have't svn for publicate source of linux part. Write to Pavel.Shtemenko@gmail.com and I will send linux source to you if you can't get this from kernel.org.

Paul Smedley

Any reason for needing the OS4 kernel? this will be a deal breaker for many...

pasha

OS / 4 is needed only for driver debugging. The usual driver will work on a standard IBM kernel while it is possible.

MrJinx

Is this method going to be able to support importing wireless chipsets like the atheros and modern Intel WiFi Link 5xxx and 6xxx chipsets?
These are the big pain points for me. Will all of the added/supported chipsets end up in the unimac.os2 file? or will there be a separate ***.os2 file for each adapter?
If so, Will they communicate with our existing tools like Wireless Lan Monitor? or will a new application be needed to support a linux wifi device. Please tell us more..

pasha

WiFi stands in terms of development. But first will atheros WiFi, because I can work with him on a stationary machine debugging on comport. Here is the following can be any available in the core Linux kernel 3.x.x

Support of existing wifi monitor - in plain.

config.sys for this drivers is:

basedev=linmac.sys
REM this for Atheros gigabit support
device=c:\imcom\macs\unimac.os2
REM this for xxx support
REM this for yyy support

I mean. linmac.sys is one for all your card. unimac.os2
Unimac is formulated for each card its own. He also separately for each case is described in the MPTS.  Such requirements for IBM MPT .

All supported netcard will included to linmac.sys. So you not need in separate linmac.sys or unimac.os2 for each netcard.

pasha

Source of linux part (linmac.sys) is accessable @ http://linmac.svn.sf.net/svnroot/linmac now

pasha

Hi

I found the mistake that prevented me from loading some drivers card on one machine. Note that multimak still is not capable in this project, there is no one who is able to do so. So I apologize for such a long delay with added cards - I had to solve the first problem with multiple cards. Also decided not to develop the project on the basis of Uniaud Linux like and take the source code of the Freebsd. If you read the license, there I am not obliged to give the source code on demand. Since I had already done a lot of work on adaptation of Linux and have it published, then I'm not going to close this road for those who need it is GPL. But personally I think a port from Linux - the road to nowhere. So, now. FreeBSD.

ivan

Hi Pasha,

I see you mention Atheros gigabit cards and in the readme it appears there is some question about the ven:1969 dev:1063.  Is this still a problem or is it now working?

ivan

Blonde Guy

Quote from: pasha on 2012.06.09, 00:40:01
Hi

I found the mistake that prevented me from loading some drivers card on one machine. Note that multimak still is not capable in this project, there is no one who is able to do so. So I apologize for such a long delay with added cards - I had to solve the first problem with multiple cards. Also decided not to develop the project on the basis of Uniaud Linux like and take the source code of the Freebsd. If you read the license, there I am not obliged to give the source code on demand. Since I had already done a lot of work on adaptation of Linux and have it published, then I'm not going to close this road for those who need it is GPL. But personally I think a port from Linux - the road to nowhere. So, now. FreeBSD.

First, Pasha, I want to thank you for your work on OS/2 and eComStation. I have used your software many times and still use a lot of it.

About the license; for many of us, it makes little difference which license you use. The software is yours, and you choose to give it to our community and we thank you. However, for me to include software in a business environment, I have to think what will happen if the customer discovers a bug. Then I am responsible to fix it. If I can convince you to fix it, OK, but if not, then I am in an awkward position. This is an important problem, because the WiFi driver is a crucial part of a modern laptop. So, if the source can be available, then I can convince any developer, or even try to fix it myself, and that looks better from a business perspective.

In the end, it is your software to do as you like.
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

pasha

Hi

No problem. If one of the developers want to see or correct the source code - with no problems. I just do not want this sold without my knowledge.

MrJinx

Pasha, Is there an updated binary version available yet? I have the atheros chipset in question.

pasha

Quote from: MrJinx on 2012.06.11, 16:39:57
Pasha, Is there an updated binary version available yet? I have the atheros chipset in question.
Wait some day pls - I add register to resource manager and rtl816x. Then I place this to hobbes.