• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

New article, NEED HELP!

Started by sXwamp, 2007.12.06, 12:22:19

Previous topic - Next topic

sXwamp

I started on a new article, and I have six rough drafts pages, here are two:

1) customizations of the WPS and
2) finding programs for OS/2.

Customizations:
http://www.os2notes.gotdns.org/index.php?id=36

Finding Programs:
http://www.os2notes.gotdns.org/index.php?id=37

Can anyone recommend any some more enhancements to the WPS and PROGRAMS that I should
include in the article?

sXwamp

Ben

Greetings.
      Your article is looking good so far.  :)

I found a couple of things I that relate to software; 1.08 is the last version of OpenChat/2 and WatchCat is a bit old and tired. CADh is far superior. It comes built-in to eCS, but can be downloaded from Hobbes if I recall correctly and if not there, it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Also, I'd think about putting in a little caveat for WPSWizard. I like the program particularly the gadgets, but it's performance and stability varies widely between systems and it's hard to make a reliable recommendation for its use.

With respect to additions; X-it, L-Switcher, Object Desktop, BubblePad, PlusPak, NICE, NPSWPS and Deskman are just a few. Now some of these are commercial programs that can no longer be bought, but most if not all, can be found for those with industry. 8)

I hope that helps you a little at least.

melf

Hi!

I kind of like to custumize my desktop, and think of:

- Scheme palette: I use to change the menu-highlite color, and scrollbar-background color to match other colors.

- WPS config folder: many things to costumize

- Gadgets to put in ecenter: One thing that I specially use now is Z-notes. Those yellow "post-it" notes to writw reminders on, very good.

- One new great thing is of course the OOWPS pack which makes it possible to print OOdocuments by just rightclick and press print or dragging document to   printer.

When it comes to playing music files from WPS: In the next release, RC4, this should be fixed and need no new install of mmaudiopak for ecs. I posted a bugreport on that, which is resolved.

Great article!

/Mikael

Saijin_Naib

YES! They fixed the WPS multimedia issues!

melf

Talking about WPS...It's Christmas time!

bigger picturehttp://www.elfonnet.nu/pics/chr1.jpg
/Mikael

Saijin_Naib

Nice :) Whats that in your firefox? Is that a media player? (says Now:)

sXwamp

Thanks for the tips and comments!  I forgot about Z-notes and L-switcher and never tried Deskman.

Melf what program is that information bar at the bottom of your screen?

Thanks

Greggory Shaw

melf

Program at bottom of screen is Sysbar/2 (hobbes). There is one systemutility wherer you can get quite a lot of sysinfo and easy configurable. Thers is also a clock, a tiny cd-player and a taskswitcher(not on picture) if you want.
/Mikael

RobertM

xFile is another great addition - not the prettiest in some minor respects (the "Drives" icons could be prettier - but that shouldnt be too hard to do), but an amazing addition of capabilities to almost every program which allows directory creation and renaming, larger file and directory lists, and numerous pop-up menus on the File-Open/File-Save dialog. Also, it doesnt affect custom FO/FS dialogs (like Embellish's or OO's or MED's).

In addition, xFile seems to handle large directories/slow drives a lot better (faster, minimal or no WPS delay) than the WPS's File Dialogs.

The other WPS utility I find indispensable is Styler/2... though a lot older than eStyler, it adds functionality I dont like doing without like Titlebar Rolling, Titlebar Hiding and much VIO, keyboard and mouse customization.

Also, Ben suggested NPSWPS (which I second). For those of you who don't know what it is, it is (among other things) a WPS animation replacement utility which comes with various different animations and programming instructions on how to create your own. On it's own, it is pretty nice - and from a cursory look at the programming guide, might be able to be extended to do even better animation (perhaps screen-area snapshots being animated off screen)...

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

melf

QuotePosted by: RobertM
Also, Ben suggested NPSWPS (which I second). For those of you who don't know what it is, it is (among other things) a WPS animation replacement utility which comes with various different animations and programming instructions on how to create your own. On it's own, it is pretty nice - and from a cursory look at the programming guide, might be able to be extended to do even better animation (perhaps screen-area snapshots being animated off screen)...

Talking about NPSWPS I will remember that it made it possible to maintain Z-order independently of which window was active. A very usuable function I miss.
/Mikael

DavidG

Here is one small program I can't live without.

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/util/wps/title.zip

This program modual was designed to add some missing funcitonality to OS/2. The specific features are: 1) right-click on the Titlebar pushes a window back in the z-order. *2) ctrl-right-click shrinks a window to its titlebar size.