• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

World of trouble installing OS/2 WARP 4

Started by tgp1994, 2012.05.28, 19:48:06

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

512MB RAM? Try 64 to start. After install, and fixpacks, then you can increase the memory. But honestly, only Windows needs so much to install. And there are some chipsets that have issues with greater than 64MB of RAM until Warp is updated.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

ivan

Hi Robert, 

When I set up the VM I tried to copy the computer I used when I first installed Warp 4.  It had 512MB memory and a nice AMD processor.  OK, I overdid it on the virtual hard disk just to see if that could cause problems.

My original install disks were modified with Dani's drivers from my experience with Warp 3 Connect.

As I said the strange thing is that it will install from a bootable CD (made using the instructions from CDBOOT2) but not using the install floppies (in my case disk images) and the standard CD.  Unfortunately, I have not had the time to investigate the differences and so work out why.

This has a few of us here intrigued, so much so we are thinking of putting together a scrap computer just to run vbox and do a number of tests because the clients computer I have been using got its new hard disk and video card today so goes back on Saturday.

ivan 

RobertM

Quote from: ivan on 2012.05.31, 23:38:26
Hi Robert,  

When I set up the VM I tried to copy the computer I used when I first installed Warp 4.  It had 512MB memory and a nice AMD processor.  OK, I overdid it on the virtual hard disk just to see if that could cause problems.

My original install disks were modified with Dani's drivers from my experience with Warp 3 Connect.

As I said the strange thing is that it will install from a bootable CD (made using the instructions from CDBOOT2) but not using the install floppies (in my case disk images) and the standard CD.  Unfortunately, I have not had the time to investigate the differences and so work out why.

This has a few of us here intrigued, so much so we are thinking of putting together a scrap computer just to run vbox and do a number of tests because the clients computer I have been using got its new hard disk and video card today so goes back on Saturday.

ivan  

I have had the most luck with actually replacing the particular files on the floppies, then, during the first reboot, forcing a boot from floppies and overwriting the ones on disk (with relevant config.sys changes, if appropriate).

SETCOPYFROMFLOPPY doesn't seem to work in every scenario, and after the reboot, all sorts of "helpful" errors may occur (obviously, which ones depending on what component did not get updated). The best success I have had with "SETCOPY..." is when I have physically changed driver names to match, such as DANIS506 -> IBM1S506 and overwritten the original. But that doesn't work with all drivers (as some we simply cannot name the replacement the same as the original OS/2 one).

One way I've used recently (where Warp 3/4 is required on the machine) is to use an eCS or Aurora/Merlin boot CD right after the reboot (instead of the floppies) as it is generally quicker to get to a commandline to replace files that way - taking care that I do not use "FDISK" (LVM) for anything.

QuoteAs I said the strange thing is that it will install from a bootable CD (made using the instructions from CDBOOT2) but not using the install floppies (in my case disk images) and the standard CD

Forces loading the correct files (since you've presumably modified the CD with those files) as opposed to relying on "SETCOPYFROM..." to actually work. :/

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

ivan

QuoteForces loading the correct files (since you've presumably modified the CD with those files) as opposed to relying on "SETCOPYFROM..." to actually work. :/
I think you are on to something there ;)  Now I'd better get out my Warp 4 CD and compare it with my bootable CD so we can help tgp1994 to get OS/2 up and running in his VM.

ivan