• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

TI x515 Cardbus Controller

Started by MrJinx, 2007.12.08, 19:44:34

Previous topic - Next topic

MrJinx

I have a real love for mini form factor laptops, (12.1in screen) in peticular.
It seems I have the worst of luck configuring these devices.
OS/2 eCS almost supports each of these listed devices but not quite fully. I mostly use Dell products as they are used in my workplace and I have access to repair and parts at a reasonable price. Plus the auction prices are fair for these devices as slightly used.
Dell C400 - All devices fully supported except for Video. Intel i830 <-Requires shared CPU ram but BIOS doesn't allocate any ram nor can SNAP or Panorama. Display limited to 640x480 65k color. Reports 832k video ram.

Dell D400- All devices fully supported except for Video. Intel i855 <-Requires shared CPU ram but BIOS doesn't allocate any ram nor can SNAP or Panorama. (Both products claim to support this chipset) Display limited to 640x480 65k color. Reports 832k video ram.

Dell D410- All devices fully supported if using /APIC mode of ACPI and remapping IRQ's. Intel i915 video is properly supported by both SNAP and Panorama, Except for the TI cardbus controller, Windows refers to as a x515 controller. Doing my own research, It is actually a 6515 cardbus controller. 

With most all dell laptop models I have setup on eCS, Using either the SS2TICB.SYS or IBM2SS14.SYS driver usually gets at least type 2 PCMCIA cards working in the slots. With this device, The TICB driver fails, The SS14 driver loads and hangs the boot logo for awhile and then continues to boot but once it is loaded USB is knocked out and the device will lock up if you access the Plug and Play for PCMCIA app.

Other details I do know,
All of the dell product laptops I have tested Latitude and inspiron models.
Never assign an IRQ to the cardbus controller. PCI scans show it as disabled. This has never caused the cardbus drivers to fail to load in the past or Type 2 cards to fail.

The IBM2SS14 driver will load on any device that uses Intel 82365SL compatible registers. It doesn't use Manufacturers ID's. The TI 6515 chipset claims to be Intel compatible.

The SS2TICB.SYS driver was patched by DANI in 2004 to support some of the TI chipsets the SS14 didn't. It looks like Dani's version does look for Manufactures ID's. But I have yet to figure out if I could patch her version to trade one of the ID's for the 6515 ID. Hex editor didn't reveal the strings she listed in her doc.

This is the PCI dump of just this device.

Bus 2 (PCI), Device Number 1, Device Function 0
Vendor 104Ch Texas Instruments (TI)
Device 8036h Unknown
Command 0003h (I/O Access, Memory Access)
Status 0210h (Has Capabilities List, Medium Timing)
Revision 00h, Header Type 82h, Bus Latency Timer 40h
Self test 00h (Self test not supported)
Cache line size 64 Bytes (16 DWords)
PCI Class Bridge, type PCI to Cardbus
Subsystem ID 018F1028h Unknown
Subsystem Vendor 1028h Dell Computer Corp
System IRQ (disabled), INT# A
CardBus Bridge Information:
   PCI Bus Number 2, CardBus Bus Number 3, Subordinate Bus number 3
   CardBus Latency 20h
   Secondary Bus Command 0740h (bus is in RESET, ints routed by PCI,
     write post enable)
   Secondary Bus Status  0200h (Medium Timing)
   Socket/ExCa Base Memory Address : 10000000h
   Memory   Range 0 : None
   Memory   Range 1 : None
   I/O Port Range 0 : None
   I/O Port Range 1 : None
New Capabilities List Present:
   Power Management Capability, Version 1.1
     Supports low power State D1
     Supports low power State D2
     Supports PME# signalling from mode(s) D0, D1, D2, D3hot, D3cold
     PME# signalling is currently disabled
     3.3v AUX Current required : 0 mA (Self powered)
     Current Power State : D0 (Device operational, no power saving)

pcidevs.txt doesn't have this device in it's database....

Usually, I wouldn't care if the cardbus worked or not but I have a Verizon Aircard That was setup on the C and D400 laptops and I use it a lot.

If anyone has experience with this controller or knows of a way I can patch the ID into TICB driver. Let me know.

Radek

No experience but, AFAIK, the only driver which knows TI 6515 is the ApSoft driver, www.tssc.de The driver is paid. Moreover, it is not granted that it will work with your HW but it's your only chance.

kim

This review on the Dell Inspiron 8600 might be of help for you.

MrJinx

I wanted to thank you guys for the responses.
1. I own the ApSoft driver and even though they don't provide tech support. They responded with the TI PCI 6515 and 7515 are not supported by Cardware 7.0 .
This has always been a tricky product to use and I haven't needed it since DANI released the patched cardbus SS2TICB Driver. On another note: It does not play well with the modern ACPI interface at all.

2. The inspiron 8600 review could use a face lift. I had one for awhile and was able to get it fully functional with the release of Genmac wireless and Broadcom 44xx wired ethernet drivers.

3. I figured out why I couldn't find the location DANI patched the Manufacture ID's in the SS2TICB Driver, The driver file is packed, But have yet to find the right software to unpack/decompress the sys file. If I get it working I'll let everybody know.
This would pretty much cover the remaining Cardbus controllers left from laptops on the market over the last 2 years. Most of the newest laptops don't have cardbus anymore. So it's pretty much USB or nothing.  :-\

Radek

The last chance: which buildlevel of ApSoft do you have? According to ApSoft chiplist, 6515 is supported from 7.00.005
If you have an earlier buildlevel then ask them for the newer one. You have paid already so that you should not (I hope!) pay again.

MrJinx

It looks like you are right! I have the latest version 08-24-04 but so far no luck getting apsoft to bite.
Here are the 2007 supported adaptor notes from apsoft.

Note 3:   Texas Instruments TI1515/4515/6515/7515 are not supported in any CardWare release prior to Feb
          02, 2005
        • CardWare for Windows NT 7.00.005 and prior
        • CardWare for DOS/Windows 7.00.005 and prior
        • OS/2 Socket Services driver released prior to Aug 07, 2004.

Funny how it says any version but below that provides different info.

When I searched the web I found the hit that said: Texas Instruments TI1515/4515/6515/7515 are not supported in any CardWare release prior to Feb 02, 2005.

OS/2 release being older? left me with the out of luck feeling.

kim

Quote from: MrJinx on 2007.12.13, 19:03:572. The inspiron 8600 review could use a face lift. I had one for awhile and was able to get it fully functional with the release of Genmac wireless and Broadcom 44xx wired ethernet drivers.

Curious, but did you also manage to get true widescreen support and not only stretched 4:3 ratio support; I've tried with both ATI and NVidia card and never got it to play fully.

Radek

I have 1920x1200x32 with ATI Mobility Radeon X700 M26-P (1002:5653, AGP). Well, no SNAP but Panorama plus R. Lalla's driver. The driver is an experimental one but, parhaps, R. Lalla has released the ATI 1920x1200 version of his driver in between. In the end, you can ask :D Well, it's not Dell but Sony. As for the cardbus, I have TI 6411 and the same problems as Mr. Jinx.

MrJinx

Can you get me your PCI data for your cardbus adaptor?
I have discovered a few details trying to patch DANI's SS2TICB.SYS driver.
1. Dani has a loop in the driver that starts from Device AC12-AC58 and increments instead of a data list. AC12, AC13 ect...
This makes patching it a lot harder.
The TI x515 controller uses a different device string from previous TI cardbus controllers.
Device 8036h Unknown
Yours may well be the same issue.
You would think it would be as easy as changing the loop to 8036h to 8037h but there maybe a branch in her logic.
AC12-AC30 may initalize one way and AC31-AC59 initialize another. Based on the data sheets from TI, The AC58. (TI PCI1515) is a functional match to my TI PCI6515.
If I can figure out if they all init the same way, I would try to replace the range with all the newer TI cardbus cards like yours, and call the patched driver SS3TICB.sys otherwise it is a big job to reclaim the driver.. 

The disassembly process is painful and I only get a little bit of time to work on it each week. I am getting close to finding the branch or if it is just looking for addl. controllers after finding the 1st one.
Some of the Thinkpad Docking stations have an addl. Cardbus controller built in and think this driver is looking for it before moving on.

Look at Dani's supported list.

The chips supported by IBM2SS14.SYS are marked by 'x'.

Chip             PCI ID
     -----------------------------------------------
     PCI1031  PC card CardBus Controller   AC13
     PCI1130  PC card CardBus Controller   x   AC12
     PCI1131  PC card CardBus Controller   AC15
     PCI1210  PC card CardBus Controller   AC1A
     PCI1211  PC card CardBus Controller   AC1E
     PCI1220  PC card CardBus Controller   AC17
     PCI1221  PC card CardBus Controller   AC19
     PCI1225  PC card CardBus Controller   x   AC1C
     PCI1250  PC card CardBus Controller   x   AC16
     PCI1250  PC card CardBus Controller   x   AC55
     PCI1251  PC card CardBus Controller   x   AC1D
     PCI1251B PC card CardBus Controller   x   AC1F
     PCI1260  PC card CardBus Controller   AC18
     PCI1260  PC card CardBus Controller   AC30
     PCI1410  PC card CardBus Controller   AC50
     PCI1420  PC card CardBus Controller   x   AC51
     PCI1421  PC card CardBus Controller   AC53
     PCI1450  PC card CardBus Controller   x   AC1B
     PCI1451  PC card CardBus Controller   AC52
     PCI1510  PC card CardBus Controller   AC56 *
     PCI1515  PC card CardBus Controller   AC58 *
     PCI1520  PC card CardBus Controller   AC55 *
     PCI1530  PC card CardBus Controller   AC57 *
     PCI1610  PC card CardBus Controller   AC5A *
     PCI1620  PC card CardBus Controller   AC54 *
     PCI1621  PC card CardBus Controller   AC59 *
     PCI4410  PC card CardBus Controller   AC41
     PCI4450  PC card CardBus Controller   AC40
     PCI4451  PC card CardBus Controller   AC42
     PCI4510  PC card CardBus Controller   AC44 *
     PCI4520  PC card CardBus Controller   AC46 *
     PCI4550  PC card CardBus Controller   AC43 *

Hopefully this gives you an idea of what I am up to.

Radek

Here is the listing from pci.exe

Bus 6 (PCI), Device Number 9, Device Function 0
Device 8031h PCIxx21/x515 Cardbus Controller
Command 0007h (I/O Access, Memory Access, BusMaster)
Status 0210h (Has Capabilities List, Medium Timing)
Revision 00h, Header Type 82h, Bus Latency Timer 40h
Self test 00h (Self test not supported)
Cache line size 64 Bytes (16 DWords)
PCI Class Bridge, type PCI to Cardbus
Subsystem ID 81E8104Dh Unknown
Subsystem Vendor 104Dh Sony Corp
System IRQ 4, INT# A

CardBus Bridge Information:
PCI Bus Number 6, CardBus Bus Number 7, Subordinate Bus number 7
CardBus Latency 24h
Secondary Bus Command 0344h (ISA mapping, bus is in RESET, ints routed by PCI)
Secondary Bus Status  0200h (Medium Timing)
Socket/ExCa Base Memory Address : C4007000h
Memory   Range 0 : FFF00000h..000FFFFFh, prefetchable
Memory   Range 1 : None
I/O Port Range 0 : F000h..0FFFh
I/O Port Range 1 : None
New Capabilities List Present:
Power Management Capability, Version 1.1
Supports low power State D1
Supports low power State D2
Supports PME# signalling from mode(s) D0, D1, D2, D3hot, D3cold
PME# signalling is currently disabled
3.3v AUX Current required : 0 mA (Self powered)
Current Power State : D0 (Device operational, no power saving)

MrJinx

Your PCI Scan tells me if I get mine working, Likely it will fix yours as well.
Did you try the SS2TICB.SYS and IBM2SS14 drivers?
It would interesting to see if you get the same results I got in the first post.

Radek

None of them works. All PCMCIA drivers I have tried refused the TI 6411. I haven't tried ApSoft (it is paid and I do not need PCMCIA urgently right now) but after reading your Job news about ApSoft, I doubt it will work. TI 6411 is supported from 7.00.005, too.