• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

OS/2 and Vector Graphics

Started by Ben, 2012.06.05, 18:08:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

Does anyone know if there is an OS/2 program than can do any or all of the following?

Read, Write, and/or create Vector Graphics?

Thanks.

melf

Hi Ben,
Not shure what you look for but I recently found SketchIt which is a compilation of the source code for DrawIt which was a native OS2 vectorgraphic program. Apparently the source code was let free and somebody compiled Sketchit. It is on Hobbes. There is quite a lot of good features (like layers) it seems, but may take some time to learn.

/Mikael

aschn

OpenOffice Draw is a usable vector graphics program. It supports import of DXF, EPS, OS/2 and W$ metafiles.

Andreas

Ben

Thanks for replying

Scalable Vector Graphics, (*.SVG), is what I meant... I should have been clear.

I did some searching for it on Google and I was surprised to find only a few products that dealt with SVGraphics regardless of platform... little to nothing in JAVA, little to nothing in *NIX and little to nothing on M$ platforms surprisingly enough... of course Photoshop handles it nicely it won't work on our preferred platform and won't work on AMD CPUs should I decide to try another.  :-X

There was an old OS/2 program called KVEC, but that's pretty limited and I believe it requires a license.also it's a "Commandline utility for converting raster graphics to vector graphics and vice versa"... which pretty much negates it for my purposes.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated... but I'm beginning to feel doubtful. 8|

melf

It seems that Scribus (Paul S's port) will both import and export *.svg. This should be good as Scribus is very feature rich.
/Mikael

David McKenna

Ben

Melf, thanks for that, I'll give Scribus a go. I didn't know it could do SVGs... I'll also try Open Office, (thanks, Andreas), though the last time I looked at its graphics creation abilities it left a lot to be desired... but that was a long time ago. Time for a rego.

David. Thanks; That's not bad for the basics, but even if it could/can do what I need, I cannot have these creations online; The end product(s) will be privately owned.

I'll post results.

aschn

OpenOffice Draw doesn't support SVG.

Andreas

Radek

OpenOffice Write can import .SVG, at least in Debian. The picture is imported correctly and it can be scaled in OpenOffice Write. Maybe in OS/2, too.

WarpWorld

Quote from: Ben on 2012.06.05, 18:08:50

Does anyone know if there is an OS/2 program than can do any or all of the following?

Read, Write, and/or create Vector Graphics?

Thanks.

I know 2,but both historical, with historical file formats, CorelDRAW and Tiger.I think both are commercial.

Ben

Corel Draw for OS/2? I have no idea where to find a copy of that.

And by Tiger I am assuming that you mean Photo Tiger?

However from the readme:

PhotoTiger supports 1, 8, and 24 bit pictures. PhotoTiger can load and save pictures in the following file formats:
- BMP (1, 8, 24 bits)
- JPEG (8, 24 bits)
- IMG (1 bits)
- PNG (1,8,24 bits)
- PNM (1,8,24 bits, only loading)

No SVG, so you cannot mean Photo Tiger.

I'd need to check, but I believe that Corel Draw for OS/2 might be a bit old for that format as well, but I have never used it and have no way of finding out.

I appreciate your reply though... and anything additional would be welcome.  :)

Ben

I should add that I also gave Open Office a go. It will export files into the SVG format though create/edit one per say and it does a poor job in exportation.

I constructed an image using the basic, geographical archetypes; Triangle, Circle and Square, using three separate colours.

The square and triangle held their positions, shapes, and colours but the circle moved position significantly and changed into a distorted octagon, though the colour held fast; I did no further testing.

However, I have to add that OO could not view the file that it exported; it loaded it as a text file no matter what I did. I had to use Scribus to view the export, so maybe the fault was Scribus and not OO. I have no way of checking since I have nothing else to view it with.

Just passing along mind findings for anyone that's interested.

ivan

Hi Ben,

According to a couple of sites I use to find out what programs open and use what file extension SVG can be opened by the Gimp or Inkscape or even CorelDraw v6.

It appears that the port of the Gimp to OS/2 does not open that file type yet the version I have on a live linux CD lists that in the file open dialogue, so that may be the way to go.

ivan

ivan

Back again just to sat the version of Inkscape for windows works on our test XP running in Vbox on OS/2.

ivan

Ben

Damn.

I wrote a message here, about Inkscape and Draw Plus... it gotten eaten when Firefox crashed... before I could post it and I never had time to redo it. 8(

Those are the prime packages that I'm considering using, but neither run on OS/2.

I recently had to install a version of Windows... something I have never really used before... on my machines, but I was hoping to find something that worked under OS/2.

SVGraphics are very important because of their scalability... meaning there is no loss of detail with the change of the size of the graphic.

So far I have been able to get by with all of the graphics programs that were written for OS/2... which were really overpowered and quite sophisticated for their time... else they wouldn't hold up today.

I'm a little bit surprised that not one of those programs have had their source code released... that's unusual. All recent native graphics programs are written by one person and hardly covers the basics, and while welcome, not sufficient.

Embellish, Photo>Graphics, (reasonably powerful once one knows how to use it), Colorworks, (not really useable anymore because of certain problems). Many got screwed over and have hard feelings, because of the incredibly disrespectful way SPG handled it's customers, selling advance licenses for it's newer yet-to-be-released, version while never telling the customers that it had switched platforms; It originally was OS/2 only, but had dropped that platform and went exclusively Windows. They completely destroyed their customer base, greatly pissed off a lot of people, and shortly after went under. Many thought that was a well-earned reward for SPG; It was the "killer app" that many OS/2-ers supported and held up on high... And some "killer app" it turned out to be... the only app that it killed was itself. 8|

Too damn bad though... for all involved; Colorworks had enormous potential. Of course, even if it worked today, it would be dated. Still, it's so old that it's hardly likely that it works with SVGraphics.

If I have to go to Windows it will be either Inkscape, Draw Plus, GIMP, (time-gobbling learning curve), or Corel Draw... but I was hoping that I could delete that crappiest of OS's; It's an offense to my machine... and to my personal privacy.