• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Samba and utime()

Started by DaveS, 2012.06.05, 19:32:53

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveS

Is there a work around for this problem?

Was running a backup script that goes local to remote. Was using file and print but changing to samba and the create times are wrong. Docs suggest it ought to work if the user smb is running as has write but I am unsure what to set where. Or if this appiles to this port.

TIA
Dave

RobertM

No experience with the Samba/utime combo, but i do know other things that use utime have problems with eCS's tz variable. Changing it in the config.sys to the "standard" EDT4 or similar format resolves the issue - but you also must go into the eCS clock/nettime app and prevent it from changing the tz variable back.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

DaveS

No, this was working perfectly with file and print mounted drives. Only fails on samba drives. I am going ECS to ECS.

herwigb

Kind regards,
HerwigB.

DaveS

Similar except I am copying a file and then explicitly setting the correct times with utime().

The Samba docs imply that this happens win <> unix but there must be some workaround. The docs go on to say if the user SMB is running as has write then it ought to work. Does our Samba port look to other systems as a win/dos  or a *nix system? 

herwigb

Kind regards,
HerwigB.

DaveS

OK so according to the docs on a *nix system the user smb is running as, which I assume is who you connect as, has to have write *and* own the file. As, in general, os/2 files are uid/gid 0/0 you don't get very far. I tried "force user = root" but it makes no difference.