• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Injoy

Started by melf, 2012.06.17, 00:25:48

Previous topic - Next topic

melf

/Mikael

herwigb

Hopefully lots of people have seen it  ;D
Kind regards,
HerwigB.

Blonde Guy

Good luck to all three of you!!!
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

Ben

Four!! hehe

The question is, of course, "what's going to happen to the OS/2 version?"

Usually when an OS/2 company sells itself to another company, the OS/2 based product languishes on the shelf for a while, then, when expectations have diminished, the novelty and excitement faded, and memories dissipated, they announce that the OS/2 version will either be dropped, not receive any new development, the old version will still be sold without improvements and/or given away and treated like a mentally handicapped child who's been shoved into the loony bin and forgotten about, (you know... like the Queen's relatives, tut, tut, naughty inter-breeders).

Is there a possibility that it will continue to be developed? Of course!.. just not much of one. 8|

And if it is taken off the market, then I can still use the present version of InJoy Firewall that I have. While it isn't as fast as a router, (software is always slower than hardware), it has a greatly increased level of flexibility that makes it invaluable to me.

So, it's a waiting game now, for those of us that still use it... and, dear I say it, would like to see improvements!  ;D

herwigb

As the 3 of us are more or less heavily engaged into eCS and OS/2, I can savely assure that there are absolutely NO plans to cancel the eCS (OS/2) version of InJoy Firewall.

While we have to close a technology gap on Windows (7/8 support and 64-bit support, and we have to concentrate to close that gap), there is no such gap for eCS (OS/2) - so when it comes to new features and fixes the eCS (OS/2) version will be on par with Windows, remember InJoy is really multiplatform - that's one of its strengths!

The eCS (OS/2) version will definitely not be in an ugly duckling position for a foreseeable future.

And this is not a private opinion of mine!!!
Kind regards,
HerwigB.

Ben

Well, that is good news.

You speak like you have some direct involvement in this new situation that InJoy finds itself in... either directly or indirectly.

It would be nice to know if there are any new features in the works?

:D

Paul Smedley

Quote from: Ben on 2012.06.24, 13:01:19
You speak like you have some direct involvement in this new situation that InJoy finds itself in... either directly or indirectly.

Ben - see http://www.bitwiseworks.com/company.php

The way I read it, bitwiseworks is owned/run by Dmitry, Silvan and Herwig - who have all made big contributions to OS/2 & eCS over the years.

herwigb

QuoteThe way I read it, bitwiseworks is owned/run by Dmitry, Silvan and Herwig
Yes, exactly, bitwiseworks is owned and run by the 3 of us.

As for new features, as I explained, Windows 7/8+ 64 bit support has top priority for "our" first release, however there is also work going on on a major performance issue fix on eCS.

I can't say much more now, it's a rough path to get everything going and if there is one thing we absolutely want to avoid: Disappointing eCS (OS/2) users - that happened just too often in the past.
Kind regards,
HerwigB.

miturbide

herwigb, I wish the three of you the best luck with this corporate entrepreneurship.

I understand the challenge that it is to create a company, maintaining it and getting/keeping customers !!!

MY BEST REGARDS !!!
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

bottomtop

Am I correct in understanding that Injoy *might* let me connect to the VPN at my office?  If so, is that the "Injoy Dialer" or the "Injoy Firefirewall"?

melf

Well, if the VPN is a PPTP connection there is no GUI, you have to edit a config file. Personally I couldn't make it work. AFAIK there is NO program for OS/2-eCS that in a simple way can setup a VPN. 
/Mikael

bottomtop

Hmm.. all I know is that it our VPN uses "IPsec", which is done on the windows client by way of some software called 'SonicWall'.   I guess I could try and log the Sonicwall session on windows to figure out what is going on...on a rainy day.

dryeo

Quote from: bottomtop on 2012.07.11, 00:36:57
Am I correct in understanding that Injoy *might* let me connect to the VPN at my office?  If so, is that the "Injoy Dialer" or the "Injoy Firefirewall"?

Download the firewall and test it. http://www.bitwiseworks.com/firewall/#faq says that it is compatible with many but not all VPN networks.

bottomtop

I don't think its compatible with WiFi, at least using the WiFi widget on EcS.  Once injoy is installed, it says that the TCPIP interface is disabled (irrespective of whether the firewall is started or stopped).   There's probably a way around that through some kind of scripting but I think I'll leave it in the too hard basket for a while.

jep

Hello,

the Firewall product contains several nifty things... but you have to click in the right spot AND enable some setting to find the IPSec VPN tunnel Wizard.

//Jan-Erik