• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

ECS Video Drivers

Started by Dennis, 2007.12.11, 23:38:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis

Are there any known problems with the eCS video drivers such as a video card not working with them? If so, what cards may not work?
Also, will eCS work on an old, slow(866 MHz) desktop?

I want to install eCS on my old system that has been running OS/2 forever--or at least 8 or 10 years, but am afraid the system may be too slow.

What other problems might I have putting eCS on the 'Old lady'?

Dennis

mobybrick

I can't see there being a problem at all with this.

Enough RAM is likely to be the biggest concern - although eCS's RAM requirements are modest, if you want to run stuff like Firefox or OO adequately then you need at least 128Mb of RAM, IMHO, or the old lady will be a dog of an old lady... 256Mb of RAM is a more sensible minimum...

Regards,
Moby.

El Vato

Quote from: Dennis on 2007.12.11, 23:38:36
[...]
I want to install eCS on my old system that has been running OS/2 forever--or at least 8 or 10 years, but am afraid the system may be too slow.

What other problems might I have putting eCS on the 'Old lady'?

Dennis

...whatever you do, before the upgrade make sure you can recover your current OS/2 image.  Use an older (version 5 and prior) of PowerQuest (now part of Symmantec) imaging utilities (or an adequate equivalent) to create a self contained recovery image.  You should operate under the premise that unanticipated issues will always arise.

Of course, simply my opinion.

jep

Hello,

866MHz a "Slow system"?!!

Well, I'm running eCS on a PII400MHz, but then again only as server and not for heavy desktop duties, a PIII 800MHz as my main desktop computer, no problem if you've got "plenty" of RAM (512Mb) to run Firefox and OOo. 256Mb RAM is also sufficient but may at times be a bit sparse if you try to start OOo when you're using Firefox, 10 Bittorrents, PMMail, Dr.Dialog and Embellish/PMView at once.

If you're used to run eCS on faster and more modern computers then you may of course feel that it's slow... but my 3.2GHz XP here @ work aint faster than the described computer above. ;-)

//Jan-Erik