• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Xerox Phaser 3110 printer driver? or?

Started by klipp, 2007.12.11, 23:53:27

Previous topic - Next topic

klipp

Has anyone found a driver for this printer? Xerox Phaser 3110! There are two other drivers that work with this printer, one is the Samung ML1210  and I can't recall the other manufacturer. They all marketed the same printer under their name. I seem to believe the other one was a Lexmark or IBM.
Thanks for any ideas!
Windoz Free! eCS 2.0 serving Linux, Windoz & OS2
rklipp@megared.net.mx

Andrew Lee

According to http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Samsung-ML-1210 your printer is identical to the Samsung ML-1210, and should work with the (badly named) GDI driver for GhostScript.  Here's a version of GhostScript with that driver compiled in, along with printmon:
http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/system/drivers/printer/samsung_gdidrv.zip .  Unfortunately, printmon always exits with an error message for me.

You could also see if Paul Smedley can help you get your printer working with CUPS.  The GDI driver is actually already compiled in the version of GhostScript included in CUPS, but there seem to be other things needed.

Andrew Lee

klipp

Andrew, You are a LIFESAVER!   I installed the samsung_gdidrv.zip and it worked great. Originally I had what I thought was the same "Printmon error" you had -- At the end of printing a page it would crash, turning on the red (!) light on the printer.  I installed using LPT1 for the printer and LPT2 for port capture. Changing the port capture to LPT3 solved the error condition.
   Now the only problem I have is sharing this printer on the network, this has to be something I'm doing wrong! Are you sharing you're printer on a LAN? Was there anything special you had to make the printer share with other members of the workgroup?
   Thanks again for "Bailing me out"!

klipp
rklipp@megared.net.mx

Andrew Lee

I'm glad that you got it working.  It's actually a lot more than I've been able to do.  When I try it, printmon exits immediately, so I never got to where I could print.  I'd be interested in seeing how you edited gsmon.cmd.

Andrew

klipp

Andrew, The only changes I made to gsmon.cmd were as follows:

psfonts="m:/psfonts"
outport="lpt1"
monport="lpt3"

I'm using eCS 2.0-rc3 which should be of no importance.  Make sure when you create the printer in the printers folder you open the properties and set an uninstalled port (I used lpt3, using an installed port makes it fail) as an output port. The only other thing I found different was that the instructions said to disable the spooler, In my case it worked fine with the spooler enabled.
   I hope this helps, anything else you need let me know.

klipp
rklipp@megared.net.mx

Andrew Lee

I've tried countless variations.  No matter what, whenever I run gsmon.cmd, I get the following:

starting daemon

PRINTMON: printer queue redirection device monitor
DosMonReg error code: 8

Sometimes, I've gotten other error code numbers.  That's why I've been trying to use CUPS instead, which so far has been able to print out PostScript and JPEG files.

Andrew

klipp

Andrew, One other thing you might try. I did not use the suggested driver "HP 4/4PS" but rather the "PSCRIPT.HP Laserjet 4/4M PS v2011_110" that is included in the print drivers that come with eCS. This is the same driver I use to make this printer work with Linux.  This driver also works for me on eCS boxes connecting to my Linux server.

klipp
rklipp@megared.net.mx

Andrew Lee

Since printmon exits immediately with an error message, I'm nowhere near the point where the choice of printer driver would matter.  In any case, the best choice is probably to get a PPD file for your printer, or the closest match that you can find (e.g. the Samsung ML-1210 for you, which you can download directly from the link I gave at openprinting.org), and import it into the PostScript driver using PIN.EXE.

Andrew

klipp

I guess I'll stick with the GDI driver as now everything works.  The printer even shares to the other nodes on the LAN.

Thanks again
rklipp@megared.net.mx

Andrew Lee

No, importing the PPD file is for the OS/2 PostScript driver, instead of setting it up as some HP model.

klipp

O.K.! I understand now. I'll give it a try.

Thanks  klipp
rklipp@megared.net.mx