• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

SNAP - Quiet mode?

Started by bottomtop, 2012.07.16, 08:38:16

Previous topic - Next topic

bottomtop

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody knew if there was a way to get rid of the SNAP splash screen during boot process - where it displays the graphic?  Or alternately, where that graphic is and what format it is, so that I can change it?

Just a stupid customization, but hey, I like doing stupid things. 

Pete

Hi

I think the /Q switch on the config.sys line gets rid of the splashscreen eg:-

DEVICE=L:\OS2\SDDHELP.SYS /Q

Regards

Pete

miturbide

On my case "DEVICE=C:\OS2\SDDHELP.SYS /Q" still shows the boot message and the SNAP splashscreen logo.

I'm running SDDHELP.SYS version 3.1.8 b505 (eComStation Special Edition) according to VERSION.TXT.
I think it is the one that came with eComStation 2.1, I don't remember installing other one.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

Pete

Hi Martin

Guess that is a difference between the eCS edition and the original product then as I'm running build 505 registered to me and do not see the snap boot message or splashscreen.

Regards

Pete

Sigurd

I can confirm Pete. Fo me the same - registrated full version = no splash screen.

bottomtop

Yes I am also using the version that is shipped with ECS 2.1.  Interesting. Are there any other differences between the two other than the splash screen?

herwigb

AFAIK it depends on the key type whether the splash screen is displayed or not.

OEM key = Serenity = eCS Version = Splash Screen.

Personal key = you, me = no splash screen.
Kind regards,
HerwigB.

miturbide

Let's hope that in the future this splash screen get removed by Mensys.

I hope they can use the basic suggestion for driver arguments. I always wanted a complete quiet boot on eCS.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide

Pete

Hi Martin

Simply install the original, full snap over the eCS version to resolve the issue http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/drivers/video/snap-os2-3.1.8.zip - I believe this comes with the free registration key but if it does not let me know and I'll email the key to you.

Regards

Pete

bottomtop

Martin,

I know this is off topic for the post but I just thought I'd mention that I found the document you refer to and link to your post - regarding the "user experience", was very interesting reading.  I too think there should be a "back" button on folders.  There is a keyboard shortcut to it already (backspace) so hopefully that means adding a button can't be too hard.

miturbide

Hi bottomtop

Thanks for reading it. Well, the idea of the back button on the "navigator" interface is to go back to the last visited folder. The backspace button opens the parent folder (as far as I know), which is a little bit different from a "back" button. 

By the way, that document was sent to Mensys some months ago, they appreciated the document but I'm not sure if they are willing to use my suggestions on next releases.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide

holgos2

Hi, just read this.
I believe shift+backspace is what you are looking (closes the visited folder and opens the parent folder). But to have it as a would be nice.

abwillis

Backspace is an open parent rather than truly back... WPS-Wizard does add a button for Open Parent.