• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Looking for OS2 Magazine Articles

Started by miturbide, 2012.07.19, 18:02:03

Previous topic - Next topic

miturbide

Hi

Roger Sessions gave me authorization to include his OS/2 related programming articles to the EDM/2 wiki under CC license.

But I have the problem that I do not have any of his articles around and I was not able to find them over the internet. (or my Google skills are not as sharp as I think)

I'm looking for this articles. I don't know if someone can provide me a scanned copy, so I will try to OCR and migrate it to the wiki.

• Polymorphism, Frameworks, and littleDogs (A description of the relationship between polymorphism and object frameworks), by R. Sessions. OS/2 Magazine, Feb. 1996.
  • Encapsulation, and the EPIC Nature of Dogs by R. Sessions. OS/2 Magazine, March 1996. A study of the characteristics of Exchangeable, Protection, Isolatable, and Confidential in object-oriented systems.
  • Distributed Objects by R. Sessions. OS/2 Magazine, April 1996. Gives an introduction to distributed object programming.
  • Metaclass, and the dogs of Shakespeare (An explanation of the basic principals of metaclass programming) by R. Sessions. OS/2 Magazine, May 1996.
  • Your dog on Java (An introduction to the Java programming language) by R. Sessions. OS/2 Magazine, June 1996.
  • My girl scouts are badder than your girl scouts (A discussions of a basic gaming framework designed to teach the principals of framework programming) by R. Sessions. OS/2 Magazine, July 1996.
  • Lost in the Garden (An overview of the SOM 3.0 beta product) by R. Sessions. OS/2 Magazine, August, 1996.
  • A kilometer is not a kilometer (Measuring performance in distributed object systems) by R. Sessions, OS/2 Magazine, September, 1996.
  • Ten Rules for Distributed Object Systems by R. Sessions, OS/2 Magazine, October 1996.
  • Dynamic Frameworks (A discussion of the role of dynamic class loading) by R. Sessions, OS/2 Magazine, December 1996.
  • The Netwars (An analysis of the battle for control of the interface to the Internet) by R. Sessions, OS/2 Magazine, January 1996. (Also translated into Japanese.)

I'm also interested in other Roger Sessions articles that he authored with N. Coskun, but I still do not have Coskun authorization to migrate this articles to the wiki.

Any help is welcome.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

lwriemen

Have you tried contacting Alan Zeichick to see if he has electronic copies archived somewhere?

miturbide

Thanks for the feedback. I will try to contact Alan Zeichick to see if it possible to release something more to the public.

I'm also looking for this articles and book.

• Working with the Data Access Builder in: Magazine. OS/2 Professional. (1996)
  • Working with the VisuaiAge Visual Builder in: Magazine. OS/2 Professional. (1996)
  • Programming with SOM in: Magazine. OS/2 Professional. (1995)
  • Programming with DSOM in: Magazine. OS/2 Professional. (1995)
And the book "Object-oriented programming using SOM and DSOM".

Christina Lau authorized to release this articles and book under Creative Commons, but she don't have at hand the digital files of this ones.

If anybody can give me hand finding them it will be appreciated too.

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide

miturbide

Alan told me that OS/2 Magazine was published by Miller Freeman Inc. which is now part of UBM TechWeb.
He currently don't have any contacts there.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide

miturbide

I got the R. Sessions articles thanks to a community member. He took the effort to scan those articles from the magazines and send it over to me. 

I will OCR those scanned pages and porting them to the Wiki. It is going to take me some time, but I hope to do it little by little. If anybody is willing to help me to include content to the EDM/2 wiki please let me know to request access.

I'm still looking around for Christina Lau material.

- Working with the Data Access Builder in: Magazine. OS/2 Professional. (1996)
- Working with the VisuaiAge Visual Builder in: Magazine. OS/2 Professional. (1996)
- Programming with SOM in: Magazine. OS/2 Professional. (1995)
- Programming with DSOM in: Magazine. OS/2 Professional. (1995)
- And the book "Object-oriented programming using SOM and DSOM".

Thanks.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide

lwriemen

Would it help to have the articles scanned to PDF? My Epson Artisan 810 has that feature. I'll have to check to see if I have any of the Lau articles.

miturbide

Hi lwriemen

Yes, the scanned articles will also help.
You can post it here or send it over to martin@os2world.com

Thanks.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide

lwriemen

Sorry. I don't have the Lau articles.  :(