• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

WPS Wizard and Estyler / WPS Wizard and Firefox

Started by bottomtop, 2012.07.20, 00:37:26

Previous topic - Next topic

DougB

Quote"The developer" is just Chris, that person who created the NOM thing.

Reference to "NOM"?? I don't recall that.

Chris also did AudioCDCreator, which works reasonably well. When you install the last version of ACDC, it complains that WPS Wizard is not installed, but it still installs, and works okay, without it. Apparently, there are some menu items that are missing, but it is obvious that they are not required.

QuoteSo, either it works for you or not.

Unfortunately, that seems to be what happens when you have a program from a single developer, and it is closed source. If you have a problem, you are often ignored, unless the developer can, easily, reproduce the problem (even then, they can decide that it isn't worth the effort to fix it, or, they can just walk away). I suspect that this sort of thing is the main reason why Martin insists that all projects need to be open source.

Meanwhile, it seems that WPS Wizard works for some, and if it doesn't, the only option is to remove it, and find another way to do what you want. I would suggest that the OP should uninstall WPS Wizard, and find another way to do whatever it is that they want it to do.

QuoteThese days Mozilla and OOo can't be run simultaneously on any of my installation

I don't have trouble with running Firefox 10.0.5 and OOo 3.2 (Text document) together. I also have lots of shared memory space left over (shown by Above512). The secret seems to be to abandon HPFS, and use only JFS (as shipped with eCS 2.1). I also use FAT32 for compatibility with windows (I do NOT use cachef32.exe with it), but HPFS seems to use up a lot of shared memory space that can be used elsewhere. Today, the big shared memory space hog is ClamD (ClamAV), but it seems to use the more plentiful upper shared memory space, so it hasn't been a problem, yet.

aschn

Quote from: DougB on 2012.07.25, 00:32:53
I don't have trouble with running Firefox 10.0.5 and OOo 3.2 (Text
document) together.

OK. I found that table docs lead sooner to those problems.

I also have lots of shared memory space left over (shown by Above512).

That tool apparently doesn't work reliable when it comes to detect
cases with rare Shared Memory

The secret seems to be to abandon HPFS, and use only JFS (as shipped
with eCS 2.1).

No, not here: I don't use HPFS any more since many years.

bottomtop

Quote from: DougB on 2012.07.24, 20:09:03
I have got to ask: Why do you want to use WPS Wizard?

I like the fancy Icons, the transparent tips and the PDF and image preview features.   It makes me thinks somebody has gone to some effort to make Ecs look a little more modern and I appreciate that effort.

Having said that, I don't understand programming or how the software works (nor do I understand what shared memory is).   The reason for my post to was to see if anybody knew how I could capture information (like logs or other debugging information) that the developer might find useful, and put it in a place they could access it because I couldn't figure out how to put things in the "tickets" part of the WPSWizard website.  

I know the software is free and I don't make any demand/criticism that the developer must fix my problems, but want the experts to have information in a form that  might be useful to them if they want/intend to release a future version at some point.  I think that if somebody wants to make free software for a community of users, it is more helpful to give them feedback they can use (i.e. something in proper technical language, not just  "it doesn't work"), should they wish to continue the project.

DougB

QuoteIt makes me thinks somebody has gone to some effort to make Ecs look a little more modern and I appreciate that effort.

I seem to recall, that WPS Wizard existed before eCS did, as did XWorkPlace (which morphed into eWorkPlace). WPS Wizard  did not gain much popularity because of many problems, and because the author was pretty picky about what he acknowledged as a problem. Basically, if he couldn't make something fail, it didn't get fixed. I can understand that, because I too find it difficult to fix something that isn't broken. However, some attempt to understand a problem, and fix it, needs to be made anyway. I also remember that the author didn't much like anybody claiming that his software was less than perfect, so he "packed up his toys, and went home". Sorry, but I can't think of a nicer way to put it, and that has happened more than once.

QuoteThe reason for my post to was to see if anybody knew how I could capture information (like logs or other debugging information) that the developer might find useful

There are many ways to help software developers improve their products. Unfortunately, there is no good set of instructions about how to go about it, and far too many developers seem to think they don't have the time to coach those who want to help, but have no idea how to go about it (I suspect that you fall into that category). Of course, those who don't know what to do should take some effort to learn, before they start bothering a developer. If you follow the entries in the bug report areas, for a while, to see what the developers want, and then learn how to reproduce reported problems, with supporting documentation, you should pick up the basics. You should also see what they tend to ignore  ;D

I think you would be better off to pick a more current project, with more "user friendly" developers., and follow the project for a while to see how you can help, and how to go about it. Trying to help with a project that is apparently abandoned by the developer is probably not going to do anybody any good. It is sort of like offering to help Ford motor company improve on the 1976 Thunderbird.

There are more important projects that seem to need help. A couple that come to mind are eCUPS, and SAMBA. User testing, and problem report feedback, is needed. Printer, and networking, support, would seem to be a little more important than "eye candy" in the overall picture. Some would disagree, but if a system can't support the basics, it really doesn't matter how good it looks. Nobody is going to use it.

As the old saying goes: "If you can't make it work, make it look good". I would rather make it work.

Above all, keep it civil. Making demands of a developer (especially one who is voluntarily doing the work), is not going to make them feel wanted. Of course, that is a two way street.

aschn

There exist always people who don't learn from the past. :-(