• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

DHCP - "Ressourcenbereitstellung von 192.168.1.242 nicht so günstig. Ignoriert"

Started by Andi, 2012.07.22, 16:53:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Andi

I'm trying to connect with XWLAN widget to my WLAN but very often I can not get a WLAN connection. It took some time till I found out the culprit is DHCP. I do not get a valid IP configuration. DHCP monitor says text as stated in subject. Translated this means something like 'resources from 192.168.1.242 are not convenient. Ignoring'. This is perfectly correct as .242 is not the DHCP server I want to get my IP. But how does the DHCP daemon know this is not convenient? And why does it not take the offered IP from .201 or .244 instead?

I've played a little bit with dhcpcd.cfg but do not find a working configuration. Curiously the same hardware running WinXP instead can connect to the network and uses IP configuration from another DHCP server.

ivan

The simple answer is that you shouldn't have more than one DHCP server on your network.  It sounds as if you have three which is asking for the trouble you are seeing.

If they are not on your network then don't select the suspect ones.

I have seen more network problems caused by people adding a wireless router to an existing network and not switching off the DHCP server on that unit.

CDRWSel

Well, a question not realy in relation with above description but with the use of dhcp.

My connection is dynamic and IP is got from my dhcp server included into my adsl router.
Often, the DNS or default gateway configuration is lost under OS/2 (mostly when I try use flash)

Windows is able to recover this kind of situation after re-init the network card but I didn't find how to do under eCs (OS/2)
A "setup" isn't enough and network card re-init is needed. The only option I found is reboot !

Any idea to prevent reboot ?
Thanks   

Andi

QuoteThe simple answer is that you shouldn't have more than one DHCP server on your network.
I've coupled my network with the network of my sister in the neighbor house with a WLAN repeater and beam antennas. Both networks are in the same 192.168.1.x net. I know there should be a router between but the WLAN devices do not offer router or firewall capabilities. Both houses need WLAN and DHCP for notebooks to get connected to the internet. One ADSL connections each house. Usually notebooks get IP settings from the Access point the connect. But my T42p when running eCS gets IP configuration from my sisters ADSL router. Although not exactly what I want question is why eCS thinks this settings are not convenient.

QuoteIf they are not on your network then don't select the suspect ones.
How to select a DHCP server?

QuoteI have seen more network problems caused by people adding a wireless router to an existing network and not switching off the DHCP server on that unit.
I vaguely remember reading about mechanism for clients to handle situations with more than one DHCP server. Maybe even in the standard. At least if eCS thinks the settings from one DHCP server are not convenient why not using the offer from the other instead indefinitely asking and ignoring again and again?

aschn

Quote from: Andi on 2012.07.23, 21:16:55
How to select a DHCP server?

I'm afraid, you can't. I know that behavior from other OS as well and came to the conclusion
that DHCP is designed to work automatically, without user/admin action.

Andreas