• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

A question about OS/2 and eCS

Started by ivan, 2012.07.28, 01:05:21

Previous topic - Next topic

ALT

Quote from: aschn on 2012.07.29, 21:03:35
Quote from: ALT on 2012.07.29, 04:48:25
Changing the system wide default font also changes the default dialog unit size, which has the effect of rescaling all dialogs throughout the system.  

Holger Veith created a patch which fixes that bug: http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/patches/PMFIX.zip

It's not a bug, though.  It's supposed to do that.  Especially on DBCS systems it's quite important that it works the way it does.

ALT

Quote from: ivan on 2012.07.29, 11:40:05
Thanks for the information Alex but - isn't there always a but - why are things like World Clock, CPU etc., the same size on both systems?

It depends on how the program is written.  Programs which don't draw their windows in standard dialog units won't be affected.  For instance, Dr.Dialog, VX-REXX and I think Sibyl applications use their own window-drawing implementations.

ivan

Thank everyone for the help so far, we might be getting somewhere.

I spent lunchtime reading through the files list my friend sent me of the eCS CD made with cdlist from UPDCD.  It appears that eCS has licensed Dialog Enhancer because I found DIALOG.zip in cid\server\ecspkg that contained a number of res files for changing the resources in the listed files.  How much bearing this has on the problem we have vet to work out - I am assuming it will require replacing all the listed files with clean ones taken from the CD.

Another thing I found using DLLTree on the exes of the applications in question and that is they all rely on a common set of DLLs.  Another thing to follow up.

It appears this will not be an easy problem to sole but we are not giving up at the moment - it will be slower during the week because of work but we intend to get there in the end.

ivan     

Fahrvenugen

Hi,

I havn't done a fresh install of eCS in a while, but I think during the eCS 1.2 install there is an option to have it not install the dialog enhancer / eCS menu / eCS visual / desktop enhancements and stuff.  I seem to recall doing this on one machine and ended up with the standard Warp 4 desktop in the end (with of course all the updated drivers found on eCS)