• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Freezing of the WPS

Started by Carlo_Warp, 2007.12.19, 21:59:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo_Warp

Perhaps I am on the right path with the sory!

A person suggested me the following points:

In my opinion, the biggest issues to the stability of
eComstation are

1. the pmmerge DLL (FP4 might be better than versions that
follow);

2. the mouse driver (Amouse might be better than IBM - I do use
IBM without MULTIP.EXE);

3. the kernel (103a might be better than 104x);

4. the ACPI driver (try 3.05 but others report better results
with different versions); and

5. the winos2 subsystem (there are workarounds but most people
use defaults)

I applied the fixes for Pmmerge.dll and for Orexx.dll. Let's see how it goes.

Quote from: melf on 2007.12.19, 23:22:19
That sounds annoying. I don't have the problem myself. A few things comes to mind:

1. Certain flashcontent as Robert says sometimes freeze or just shut down FF. A cure is to use "flashblock" add on and just watch the flash:es you want to watch.

2. There has been a discussion on news.ecomstation.com regarding Innotek font engine. Seems like it has been downgraded to the 2.40 version in latest releases of eCS (I don't know if RC1 is concerned, but it could be). This version is said to be known to cause freeezings. A cure is to upgrade to 2.60 beta.

3. If you don't find a solution you ought to report it as a bug (first check out existing), its just to much to tolerate.

Carlo_Warp

I spoke to some users and they said that the freezings are related to the TCP/IP protocol. It should be true, because they happenned only with browsers.
A person suggested me to install a proxy. I found the "dproxy-nexgen" which is very lite and is a port of Paul Smedley.
Does anybody know how to install it? The documentation doesn't explain much.

Thanks in advance. 

RobertM

Quote from: Carlo_Warp on 2008.01.26, 16:01:19
I spoke to some users and they said that the freezings are related to the TCP/IP protocol. It should be true, because they happenned only with browsers.
A person suggested me to install a proxy. I found the "dproxy-nexgen" which is very lite and is a port of Paul Smedley.
Does anybody know how to install it? The documentation doesn't explain much.

Thanks in advance. 

Hi...

The WPS doesn't freeze due to the TCP/IP stack (as far as I have seen)... I run servers that crank out gigs a day and the WPS is always responsive (till I launch Firefox - or OO -- killing/shutting them down resolves that issue). The way the rendering code is set up for Firefox is still an issue with OS/2, and bug tickets have been out for years, but no one has managed to track down the cause of the problem the last time I checked (which is why you can watch Firefox render, render, re-render pages in OS/2, while an XP machine will be blazingly faster at it).

Of course, the servers are DominoGo 4.6.2.8, MySQL, FTPDServer, and OS/2's DNS Server... which were written for OS/2... and only DominoGo has a GUI interface - and that interface seems to run in a separate thread/process.

I have a feeling that the separation between the GUI components, and the networking components in certain Windows ports aren't as well separated... but if that's the case, it's not the TCPIP stack - but the "poor" (ie: different) design of the Windows ports. OS/2 apps (if you check the programming tutorials that come with stuff like VAC++) are supposed to process GUI messages separate from other program tasks to prevent the GUI from experiencing delays due to unprocessed messages (or some such concept)... I dont think that design method applies in the same way to Windows apps... hence issues with Windows ports... hence something with a TCPIP component could theoretically "hang" the GUI due to the app not processing it's messages in a timely fashion while waiting on some sort of TCPIP traffic.

One other thing I noticed is that with VIO apps, the GUI (well, everything) will slow down if it is displaying it's activities to the VIO window... but that is most noticable (in my experience) on the machines I have built using nVidia video cards and SNAP (as the nVidia cards dont seem to be supported very well). I've got no such issue with the ATI's I have... I have ancient ATI cards that run circles around brand new nVidia cards (on OS/2), and doing anything VIO display intensive (a directory listing like DIR /S) in a VIO window will peg the CPU (until the window is minimized or rolled into it's titlebar or covered).

-Rob

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Saijin_Naib

^ Is that why pages take forever to draw? I always wondered, the more content the longer it takes. My ebay page is a KILLER in this regard. I thought that the WPS freezes were due mostly to the IFE 2.4 thats included in eCS. I just upgraded to 2.60 beta and I've been hang free in the WPS and firefox!

Carlo_Warp

Does eCS 2.0 RC 1 have the IFE 2.40? The last one is 2.60, isn't it?

Saijin_Naib

Yes, but they will not include 2.60 because its a beta, and until its a final release, it will not be included :\

Carlo_Warp

Ok, I try IFE 2.60 and I let you know!

Carlo_Warp

Is is possible to know which version of IFE runs on eCS 2.0 RC 1? If I wish to install version 2.60 beta, shall I remove version 2.40 before?

Saijin_Naib

All the eCS only use 2.40. You should remove 2.40 before you install 2.60

Carlo_Warp

Yes, you are right, it is IFE 2.40. There is the FT2_240.exe file in the folder \CID\SERVER\ECSPKG.
How can I remove IFE 2.40? Sorry for the "easy" question.

Thanks in advance!

Saijin_Naib

The way I did it was to not install it when I set up my eComStation, then simply get the 2.60 beta release from the Innotek Website.

http://www.innotek.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=28&Itemid=44&lang=en

Carlo_Warp

I installed version Innotek Font Engine 2.60 beta. I am now writing from PW Firefox under eCS 2.0 RC 1. Let's see how it works!

RobertM

So... it seems I had v2.60beta installed... but tried installing it again... machine wont boot to GUI with the file installed. Removed everything, including INI entries, reboot, runs fine (sans font support). Re-installed, hangs on GUI...

Ugh!!! Shouldn't play with a working system... and I never learn... :(

Any suggestions on how to get font support re-enabled would be greatly appreciated.

-Robert

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Saijin_Naib

Have you removed all the reg keys from the regeditor as well? Other than that, I can only suggest maybe using checkini or something, maybe some entry is left over somewhere.

RobertM

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2008.01.31, 03:09:04
Have you removed all the reg keys from the regeditor as well? Other than that, I can only suggest maybe using checkini or something, maybe some entry is left over somewhere.

Hi Saijin,

Yup... removed all registry keys, the ft2lib.dll and libc06b4.dll, reinstalled, hang b4 desktop loads...

It seems I may have had 2.40 running before (and archived copies of the newer DLL)... which would indicate I tried this before with no success. Anyway... I reinstalled 2.40 and that is up and running fine... so I am at a loss. I might try re-installing 2.60b and then moving the libc dll someplace that is first in the path list - maybe it is conflicting with all the other versions of libc6 installed for other stuff. It is the only copy of libc06b4.dll installed... but maybe it is conflicting with one of these?

libc06.dll
libc061.dll
libc062.dll
libc0621.dll
libc063.dll
libc0631.dll
libc0632.dll
libc0633.dll
libc06b2.dll
libc06r1.dll

Specifically maybe r1 or b2? or 6.1+? Got me... but for now I have font support again, so I will mess with it some more after I get some work done...

Thanks,
-Robert

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|