• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

AMOUSE - development, source code?

Started by Andi, 2012.08.01, 09:06:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Andi

Anyone knows about development status of amouse driver? I think there is not much activity in the last time. Is source code available?

There is a known problem when using amouse and KVM switches - amouse does not properly recover when PS/2 mouse is switched back by the KVM switch. If source code would be available I'm interested in looking into this problem.

Pete

Hi Andi

I think the best person to ask is, probably, Roderick Klein of Mensys as the nbsoftware website http://www.nbsoftware.de/ seems to have vanished.

Regards

Pete

miturbide

About this subject, I contacted Markus Noller some time ago and told me that the AMouse driver plus the associated Workplace classes were contributed to the eComStation project and are now part of the eComStation distribution. That I should contact the eComStation team for anything.

I'm also hoping that the source code get released. I'm not sure if the mouse driver is based on IBM DDK code, which the license does not allow to open source it, or not.  I'm also interested on improved driver with for better VirtualBox support.

By the way I also contacted Knut St. Osmundsen to see if the Mouse VirtualBox Driver can be open sourced and replied also that is based on IBM DDK code.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

Joop

Quote from: Andi on 2012.08.01, 09:06:18
Anyone knows about development status of amouse driver? I think there is not much activity in the last time. Is source code available?

There is a known problem when using amouse and KVM switches - amouse does not properly recover when PS/2 mouse is switched back by the KVM switch. If source code would be available I'm interested in looking into this problem.
During testing of the Wacom Bamboo driver we found out that some drivers need to be loaded one after another in order to work properly with USB. May be the order of drivers in your config.sys is not right.

Ben

Quote from: Andi on 2012.08.01, 09:06:18
There is a known problem when using amouse and KVM switches - amouse does not properly recover when PS/2 mouse is switched back by the KVM switch.

You might be barkin' up the wrong tree there Andi. I have been using a KVM switch with AMouse for many  years now, and I have never had a problem with the two conflicting, not cooperating or any form of disconnection in anyway. So while you might be able to say that there is a problem with AMouse and your KVM switch, it may not be as general as you think... and AMouse may not be the problem at all.

BTW, I have used both PS/2 and USB mice with my switch and Amouse.

I doubt that will help your cause, but it may help in finding the real source of your problem.

Now, I did at one time, long, long ago, use a low-grade monitor/mouse/keyboard, (or Keyboard/Video/Mouse), box and regardless of what combination of mice and drivers I used, there was often frustrating problems with mouse disconnect and I ended up using as many mice as I had machines... eventually that setup ruined a monitor or two so...

So watch out for junky switches!  ;)

Andi

Quote from: Ben on 2012.08.02, 14:23:49

You might be barkin' up the wrong tree there Andi. I have been using a KVM switch with AMouse for many  years now, and I have never had a problem with the two conflicting, not cooperating or any form of disconnection in anyway. So while you might be able to say that there is a problem with AMouse and your KVM switch, it may not be as general as you think... and AMouse may not be the problem at all.
Interesting. I read about problems with AMOUSE and KVM which are solved by using IBM mouse driver. The same what I see it here. So thought this is always a problem with AMOUSE at least with PS/2.

QuoteBTW, I have used both PS/2 and USB mice with my switch and Amouse.

I doubt that will help your cause, but it may help in finding the real source of your problem.
Any info is appreciated. Thx.

QuoteNow, I did at one time, long, long ago, use a low-grade monitor/mouse/keyboard, (or Keyboard/Video/Mouse), box and regardless of what combination of mice and drivers I used, there was often frustrating problems with mouse disconnect and I ended up using as many mice as I had machines... eventually that setup ruined a monitor or two so...

So watch out for junky switches!  ;)

[/color]
I do not use the video part of the switch as this is better handled by the monitor built in switch anyway. Only keyboard and mouse. Btw., a monitor which is destroyed by 'wrong' input signal is not a great loss anyway ;)

aschn

Quote from: miturbide on 2012.08.01, 16:03:07
About this subject, I contacted Markus Noller ...
By the way I also contacted Knut St. Osmundsen ...

Thanks for your activities.

NNYITGuy

Hello,

I had the same problem in the past with a simple D-Link KVM switches that had the PS/2 interface for mouse, keyboard and video. I found that when switching between and OS/2 based PC and Windows and back to OS/2 the mouse would appear to be frozen on the OS/2 side. If you plugged in a supported USB mouse the OS/2 system would have mouse functionality again. I deduced, but could not confirm, that the problem was in the baud rate that was re-negotiated when switched to the Windows side. The OS/2 mouse driver was a fixed baud and did not recover when the OS/2 side was switched to.

In closing I thought that if I new what the baud rate was normally used in Windows PS/2 mouse based systems. That maybe I could set the OS/2 driver parameters to use the same baud rate the Windows system used.

I succumbed to using a separate USB mouse and did not pursue it further. I only use a KVM rarely for OS/2 as for my OS/2 & eCS systems are VNC connected or are with a VM system.

Hope this might help!

-Todd
Todd J Simpson (IT Consultant)
Business Automation Technologies
(Professional Products and Services.  Business to Business...)

Andi

I want to switch between 2 eCS Systems. This does not work with PS/2 mouse and Amouse but with IBM mouse driver. After switching back the mouse seems to be locked to the top left corner - moves away when moving the mouse but immediately jumps back to top left.

NNYITGuy

Andy,

Does this only happen with the one eCS PC? If so, for testing purposes, switch the ports of the two on the KVM. Does the top left corner mouse follow the same PC, or does it now happen with the swapped PC?

If it does happen to the other PC and not follow the original PC, then there is a slight logic problem on the PS/2 mouse port on the KVM switch that the IBM mouse driver seems to be able to recover from.

This is all interesting, and maybe the communicate / hold state / communicate of the KVM switching for that port is not keeping the hold state for the PS/2 mouse port. Is this KVM powered by the keyboard / mouse ports or does it have an external power supply connected. Reflecting back on issues that I had in the past, I had to use the external power supply to avoid problems. This possibly might have been because the power supplied by one or another PS/2 keyboard and mouse ports was not sufficient to keep the KVM logic states stable.

More food for thought!!! :-)

-Todd
Todd J Simpson (IT Consultant)
Business Automation Technologies
(Professional Products and Services.  Business to Business...)

Blonde Guy

At Warpstock last week, we discussed suspend/resume on modern laptops. In order for this to function correctly, we needed to switch the laptop to the IBM single mouse driver.

It is likely that the Amouse driver will be fixed, but a developer is really needed to take over maintenance. This is probably a good opening for someone who wants to start driver development, because the driver already works, and only limited numbers of things need to be done to it.

As has been stated above, contact Mensys if you want access to the Amouse source code, since it can't really be open-sourced.
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

miturbide

If by any chance someone can take over Amouse development, it will be interesting also if the VirtualBox Mouse driver functionality can also be added to Amouse. Maybe the work that Knut made on the mouse driver, can be included on the Amouse since both are based on IBM DDK code and share the same user license limitation (can't be open sourced).
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com