• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Opensource Flash Petition

Started by Robert Deed, 2007.12.29, 04:47:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Deed

I have started a petition to adobe to opensource flash player.  This is obviously for all operating systems, not just ecomstation but please sign your support and spread this around.  There should be alot of demand for this and I would hope that adobe will consider it.

http://www.petitiononline.com/flash123/petition.html

Saijin_Naib

BigWarpGuy

I signed it. I am number 17.  ;D
8)

I hope they do open source it as a way to be more competitive with MS's Silverlight.

Saijin_Naib

We should have SilverLight as well if possible.

Bill

BigWarpGuy

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2007.12.29, 17:24:42
Perhaps Serenity Systems could get Microsoft to release the source code to port it to OS/2-eCS?  ???  Novell ported Silverlight to Linux under a different name.   8) I do not know if Apple ported it to their os.

Saijin_Naib

After using some sites with Silverlight, I quite like it. It runs content much better than flash IMO. I really think we should have a port of Silverlight. It does work with FireFox after all :)

BWG, did Novell have to pay for the rights to port it to Linux?

Robert Deed

Other then sites created by Microsoft I do not think Silverlight is going to catch on.  Regardless of your experiences with it most web developers are not going to want to create a site which will only work with microsoft's approved operating systems..  and certain (but not all) linux releases.  It would be a neat thing to have but I don't think it is as important as flash.. on the other hand, at the rate the petition is going I doubt we're going to turn many heads when the the petition for a i64 compiled linux version (which is really just a recompile) has over 100000 and has not been effective.

Paul Smedley

Quote from: BigWarpGuy on 2007.12.30, 22:23:21
Perhaps Serenity Systems could get Microsoft to release the source code to port it to OS/2-eCS?  ???  Novell ported Silverlight to Linux under a different name.   8) I do not know if Apple ported it to their os.
Yeah or hell could freeze over - why would Microsoft do anything to aid Serenity?

Saijin_Naib

They wouldnt, but if Novell somehow got the right to have the source to Silverlight I think Serenity could as well. Or am I really not understanding how this all works?

RobertM

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2008.01.01, 00:50:41
They wouldnt, but if Novell somehow got the right to have the source to Silverlight I think Serenity could as well. Or am I really not understanding how this all works?

Microsoft has a deal with Novell that if memory serves is for their Linux platform. That deal will soon come crumbling down as soon as MS has no more need for Novell. In the meantime, Serenity getting the source is unlikely at best. Silverlight is positioned (based on MS's track record with *everything* else) to supplant Flash and lock people into the Windows platform - and I wouldnt be surprised if it is a tool (of many) that they use to get people off the Novell bandwagon.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

BigWarpGuy

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2237615,00.asp?kc=EWKNLWSU010208STR2
"Neal Page, CEO of Inlet Technologies, which makes encoding solutions for video, said that Silverlight will extend the reach of content to any platform, like Flash does today. "
I wish they would define 'any platform'.  ???  The above is an article on Silverlight.

Robert Deed

That would be described as any platform, where only products shipped by Microsoft are "platforms", every other operating system is a "niche" which is not supported =)

We're up to 39 signatures 

Quote from: BigWarpGuy on 2008.01.02, 18:54:57
"Neal Page, CEO of Inlet Technologies, which makes encoding solutions for video, said that Silverlight will extend the reach of content to any platform, like Flash does today. "
I wish they would define 'any platform'.  ???  The above is an article on Silverlight.

Robert Deed

Wow...41 we need to get alot more

Quote from: Robert Deed on 2008.01.02, 20:36:45
That would be described as any platform, where only products shipped by Microsoft are "platforms", every other operating system is a "niche" which is not supported =)

We're up to 39 signatures 

Quote from: BigWarpGuy on 2008.01.02, 18:54:57

kim

Small suggestion, that could be positive and as well negative, but what about moving the petition over to OS2 World to do some piggy ride on the OS2 Open Source petition.