• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

RW CD-ROM Drive Not Writing in ECS

Started by Dennis, 2008.01.02, 23:00:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis

The title pretty much says it all. When I try to copy or move a file from one of the partitions on my notebook HDD to the RW CD drive, the system won't let me. I was trying to move/copy an unzip program from the HDD to the CD. Any ideas?

Thanks

Dennis

melf

Not to shure here , but isn't the only way to do such an action to have RSJ installed? As I remember there is an option where you format your CDRW and after that you can drag files to CD-drive or use command lines COPY command.
/Mikael

Dennis

RSJ? The drive worked when it was installed.....

melf

If I get you right you want to burn a file from your harddrive on an rewriteable CD in you burner. You also want to do that by moving or copying a file like, "copy xxx.zip S:" If you want to do such an action I don't know of no other method than the one I mentioned. As far as I know similar windowsprograms also must use some format option to be able to just move or copy files in that way. Or have I misunderstood your aim?
/Mikael

kim

As Melf says you need to use the RSJ CD-Writer software that came along with eComStation and if you installed eComStation I guess that this should be installed as well. To do what you want to do, you need to Attaching and Detaching CDs using the "CDATTACH" command. When this is done you're able to drag and drop files directly to the CDR-unit.

The command CDATTACH allows attaching and detaching a CD to an OS/2 drive letter. To attach a CD means to associate a drive letter to the CD, while detaching refers to removing the association between the CD and its drive letter.

The full manual is available as download fron RSJ Software and it will be of great help; you find it here.

Dennis

I just looked at the CD drive. On the outside it says DVD Rom. Does that make a difference???

Melf--thanks. I'm checking out RSJ right now. I know it's on the system, but I don't know if it's installed or working.

Andi

You can drag&drop or copy without formating or attaching and without RSJ if you use UDF and DVD-RAMs which came preformated usually. Of course your burner must support DVD-RAM for that which is not the case for every DVD burner.

The same should be true if you use CD-RW and format them with UDF (format x: /FS:UDF).

You didn't post the manufacturer and model number till now. But I think you've checked that it's really a burner, not just a DVD-ROM (reader only), did you?

Saijin_Naib

is the UDF.IFS that is supplied with eCS 2.0 RC4 at a level recent enough for me to complete this format operation?

BigWarpGuy

Quote from: Andi on 2008.01.18, 11:28:31
You can drag&drop or copy without formating or attaching and without RSJ if you use UDF and DVD-RAMs which came preformated usually. Of course your burner must support DVD-RAM for that which is not the case for every DVD burner.

The same should be true if you use CD-RW and format them with UDF (format x: /FS:UDF).

You didn't post the manufacturer and model number till now. But I think you've checked that it's really a burner, not just a DVD-ROM (reader only), did you?

My Acer Aspire has dvd-rom on the left and compact disc rewritable on the right of the optical drive. It is similar to what you think the person has on theirs.  8)

Dennis

Currently, the latest DaniATAPI.flt is installed. Docs for that say I don't need RSJ or UDF--at least, that's how I understand the docs.
I also have installed the latest daniS506.add.
Just tried to write a file to the CD by using the Copy & Move commands and drag & drop. None worked.
Now what? I'm wondering if the drive is kaput.....

Pete

Quote from: Dennis on 2008.01.18, 22:06:39
Currently, the latest DaniATAPI.flt is installed. Docs for that say I don't need RSJ or UDF--at least, that's how I understand the docs.
I also have installed the latest daniS506.add.
Just tried to write a file to the CD by using the Copy & Move commands and drag & drop. None worked.
Now what? I'm wondering if the drive is kaput.....

Hi Dennis

To write to CD-R/RW or any of the recordable DVD disc formats you firstly need a burner. In a previous post you mention that the device in use states DVD-ROM on it; ie DVD-ReadOnlyMemory.

You are not going to get very far if trying to write to a disc in a DVD-ROM  :-)

If the above was some sort of typo and you do have a burner - possibly 1 of those combo DVD-ROM/CD-Writer devices: Yes, you do need software to use the burner.

cdrecord2 and RSJ  can be used to burn to CD-R/RW discs
dvddao and RSJ can be used to burn to DVD Recordables (R/RW/RAM) - note I have no experience of using RSJ for DVD burning but the blah for the recent versions claims that ability
UDF can be used to format any CD-RW or DVD+-RW/RAM disc to act as a large removable floppy ie no partitions.

I suggest a reread of the daniatapi.doc - I certainly cannot get it to read that no burning software is required  :-)

As regards drivers: the current "Danis drivers" + the last IBM IDE update + the last IBM UDF update are all required as well as the burning software.

Hope the above helps

Pete

Pete

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2008.01.18, 11:30:25
is the UDF.IFS that is supplied with eCS 2.0 RC4 at a level recent enough for me to complete this format operation?

Hi

As long as eCS have not cocked up they should be using the last release of UDF which, I think, is this:-

21-04-06 11:21a       132,573      0 a---  udf.ifs

Shame bldlevel does not work with UDF.IFS but I think that is UDF216+ ; ie the update to UDF216 which consisted of only the UDF.IFS and UDF.SYM files.

If you are having trouble UDF formatting CD-RW or DVD RW/RAM discs you should also check the bldlevel of the os2dasd.dmd and os2cdrom.dmd files. I think these are the most recent:-

[H:\OS2\BOOT]bldlevel os2dasd.dmd
Build Level Display Facility Version 6.12.675 Sep 25 2001
(C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1993-2001
Signature:       @#IBM:14.104#@ IBM DASD Manager

[H:\OS2\BOOT]bldlevel os2cdrom.dmd
Build Level Display Facility Version 6.12.675 Sep 25 2001
(C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1993-2001
Signature:       @#IBM:10.163#@  Device Manager Driver for CDROM

Regards

Pete

Dennis

Thanks, Pete. The "DVD-ROM" also has the word "REWRITABLE" on it. That tells me I should be able to write a cd. Should I install the RSJ along with the latest DaniATAPI.FLT? Like I said in an earlier post, I believe it worked when it was installed....

Dennis

RobertM

Quote from: Dennis on 2008.01.19, 18:18:38
Thanks, Pete. The "DVD-ROM" also has the word "REWRITABLE" on it. That tells me I should be able to write a cd. Should I install the RSJ along with the latest DaniATAPI.FLT? Like I said in an earlier post, I believe it worked when it was installed....

Dennis

Dennis, that should work - or the CDRW tools on Hobbes...

-Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Dennis

I now have the demo version that came with ECS installed on my notebook. is it supposed to be resident or do I have to open it every time I need to write to the cd? I'm also trying to figure out how to download the manual so I can figure out how to use it.