• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

VLC player Port

Started by miturbide, 2008.01.06, 18:16:49

Previous topic - Next topic

miturbide

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

Terry

VLC Media Player does just about everthing you need to play media files, and shines in the CODEC department.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Andi710

Needs wxWidgets - so we need somebody to fix this first.

AFAIK, they want to switch to Qt4 at some point, which we don't have at all.

Looks a little like a huge challenge, given that we have alternatives like kmplayer, up-to-date mplayer ports and WarpVision already.

RobertM

Quote from: Terry on 2008.01.06, 20:23:39
VLC Media Player does just about everthing you need to play media files, and shines in the CODEC department.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

AFAIK, VLC is baed off ffMPEG. Besides the GUI, what other features does it offer that KMP and mPlayer don't have?

-Rob

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Saijin_Naib

Yay, just switched to Qt4. Much improved GUI over the wxWidgets version I must say, but now an even more difficult task to port to os/2.

The Blue Warper

Quote from: RobertM on 2008.01.07, 00:14:28

AFAIK, VLC is baed off ffMPEG. Besides the GUI, what other features does it offer that KMP and mPlayer don't have?

-Rob

Hi, Robert!  Hi all!
A feature that I know of is support for LAN streaming and broadcasting (VLC is indeed a software made up of a media-player app and a streaming-app, which once were stand-alone app and were eventually merged into one player).  You can get video-streams from a PC in your LAN or from the Internet, and cast (or re-cast) them to the rest of your LAN.
Another useful feature is that you can save your streamings into a file, even encoding them into another format on-the fly (i.e., you can get an .mp3 or an .avi stream and encode it into, say, a WAV or an MPEG file while still downloading it).
I don't recall if there's an equivalent app in OS/2, when it comes to LAN streaming of multimedia contents, so maybe this would be a welcome addition to some native app which currently lacks this capability (i.e., whether or not a real VLC port could be done).

Saijin_Naib

Well, is the GUI something that can't be done in PM-GUI? It really is still very, very basic. I mean, other than Icons in the System menu I think it could all be done by PM-GUI, maybe we don't need QT4 for this one to work.

RobertM

Hi TBW,

mPlayer (and mEncoder) support playing stuff from streams, as well as saving/writing them to disk. There is an additional package in that family that allows "bouncing" the content to other locations on the LAN or Internet, but I dont think it is ported to OS/2.

Rob

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

RobertM

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2008.09.17, 16:55:45
Well, is the GUI something that can't be done in PM-GUI? It really is still very, very basic. I mean, other than Icons in the System menu I think it could all be done by PM-GUI, maybe we don't need QT4 for this one to work.

A GUI could indeed be done for PM. But, on those grounds, it would still be "smarter" to do the following:
(1) Port the ffServer/mPlayer Server stuff to OS/2 (that assumes anyone - or enough people - need serving capabilities).

(2) Wrap the video window in a player control

(3) Make a player control for Full Screen playback

Everything else that VLC Player does, mPlayer/mEncoder does as well... in some cases better (such as transcoding using mEncoder directly, with a variety of additional options).

Making a VLC Player "clone" using mPlayer/mEncoder or ffMPEG/ffPlay/ffServer would be a far better route than porting VLC Player... at least in my opinion.

Rob

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Saijin_Naib

True, but I guess VLC was chosen because it's a bit more ubiquitous than ffmpeg/mencoder, as it's what's seen and interacted with as opposed to it's underpinnings.

RobertM

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2008.09.17, 22:46:39
True, but I guess VLC was chosen because it's a bit more ubiquitous than ffmpeg/mencoder, as it's what's seen and interacted with as opposed to it's underpinnings.

Indeed that is true, but I don't think that would matter much to the eCS community. I'd love to see a VLC-like player. My suggestions for starting from ffMPEG/mPlayer directly are based on the fact that all the core stuff is already done (ported to OS/2)... leaving only the need for a GUI, while starting with VLC would require a re-porting effort of VLC's ffMPEG underpinnings and a GUI.

That, and it would also give us a great transcoding solution with minimal additional effort.

There's no reason why whatever GUI that is created can't be very much similar to VLC's.

Rob

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Saijin_Naib

You are totally correct Rob, I agree. Why make VLC and jump through QT4 hoops (though having QT4 would help with other things anyway) when we can just slap together a GUI ffmpeg with a native PM interface.

RobertM

Saijin,

You mentioned a point I overlooked - which is QT4, which would open the door to a bunch of other ports. Hmmm...

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

abwillis

Quote from: RobertM on 2008.09.18, 00:01:11
Saijin,

You mentioned a point I overlooked - which is QT4, which would open the door to a bunch of other ports. Hmmm...
If someone will port QT4 then we can continue having a GUI for VirtualBox.  From a post I read the other day, QT3 is apparently still able to be built right now as it said they would be removing it soon. 

jasonmark22

To make the above applications working on OS/2 and eCS there is a little bit more work involved than just gettting SWTSwing compatible with Java 1.4 but we are get from 0% to 80% with SWTSwing. You can see how far I already got with limited Java 1.4 support Christopher Deckers was kind enough to add to the current SWTSwing version. With basically 24 hours of work spent on Azureus and Jameica (for Hibiscus) I was able to get those screenshots.

I think it's worth it as long as we don't have a native SWT library (which we maybe never get).

-Removed ad link