• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

OS/2 Warp 4 On VPC2007

Started by Rain, 2012.08.19, 03:18:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Rain

Hi,

I have OS/2 Warp4 Installed on VPC2007, however, I cannot seem to give it network/internet access. I've tried giving it NAT, and access to my ethernet card via the settings in VPC, but nothing works. I have been trying for about 5 hours now.

Does anyone know how to get VPC07 and OS/2 Warp 4 to work together?

sXwamp

Rain

Looking at those guides in the link you sent me does not help :( I have accepted the default network driver that the guide states and I still have no access to the internet with OS/2 Warp 4 on VPC07.

Is there something I am missing? I'm not to sure what else I need to to make it work. :(

ivan

A little more information would help.

What version of windows are you running VPC2007 on?  This can change how the virtual network responds.

Have you installed the OS/2 driver for the virtual network card in OS/2?  If not then there is no way you are going to connect to any network.

If you have installed the OS/2 network card driver what protocols have you bound to it?

Copy LANTRAN.LOG - found in C:/ibmcom and post it here to help us help you.

ivan

miturbide

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

Rain

EDIT/UPDATE: I've managed to fix the issue. I'll be adding it to the end of my post in a moment.
Update: See the bottom if you get the same problem I do.

@Ivan:
Alright, as requested here is the information about my system and setup:

1. Windows XP SP3
2. VPC2007
3. Would this be the DC21X4.OS2 driver?
4. I am not too sure where you find this information. Sorry.
5. Lantran.log says:

IBM OS/2 LANMSGDD [08/01/96] 5.05 is loaded and operational.
IBM OS/2 LANDD [08/01/96] 5.00.02
IBM OS/2 LANDLLDD 2.01  
IBM OS/2 LANDLLDD is loaded and operational.
IBM LANVDD is loaded and operational.
IBM OS/2 LAN Netbind
IBM LANDD is accessing IBM 802.3 LAN Interface.
Adapter 0 was initialized and opened successfully.
Adapter 0 is using node address 0003FF4E10FA.  The Token-Ring format is

00C0FF72085F.
IBM LANDD was successfully bound to MAC: DC21X4_nif.

Basically, all I've done is install OS/2, given it the Network Driver, Video Driver, and VM Additions. Using PING just gives me a "Socket: Message file not found" message.

The only other information I can think may be useful is that in the VM's settings on VPC, I have 1 adapter set to "Shared Networking (NAT)".

I hope this helps. :)

@miturbide:

Thanks for that link! :) I wish I had found that earlier.

Update - My Solution
Just to share this with anyone else passing by, this is what I did to get OS/2 Warp 4 to access the internet.

First, get the drivers from this page: http://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php?title=Installing_IBM_OS/2_Warp_4.52_on_Microsoft_Virtual_PC
Then follow all the instructions on this page: http://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php?title=Installing_IBM_OS/2_Warp_4.52_on_Microsoft_Virtual_PC

Next click on the little Red Toolbox (The icon to the left of the [C] looking folder), goto Install/Remove, and select "Selective Install For Networking". Select "Advanced Installation" on the first screen that shows up.

When it asks you to install services, select "File and Print Client", and "TCP/IP Services". And click next. A screen will pop up labeled "Configuration", goto "User ID and Password" and type a user ID and password. This can be anything you want.

It should start installing and ask you to reboot. After all the installation is done, and you are back on your desktop, Click the red toolbox again and find "TCP/IP Configuration (LAN)". When it loads up, Check Enable Interface, and click "Automatically, using DCHP", but do not check DDNS. Click the close button, save, and reboot.

After rebooting, you should be able to connect to the internet. If you cannot, make sure that you are using NAT in your Virtual Machine settings, if not, change it. You may have to reboot.

I hope that helps anyone who is stuck, this is what worked for me so I hope this helps someone else out there. :)

ivan

So you hadn't bound any protocols to the virtual NIC ;) that always helps.

I'm glad you managed to work out the problem.  You can always check what is bound to the NIC by looking at PROTOCOL.INI (a text file in C:\ibmcom).

ivan