• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Lenovo ThinkPad X131e maximum RAM

Started by danielnez1, 2012.08.17, 18:46:32

Previous topic - Next topic

danielnez1

Hello,

My Compaq CQ57 sadly gave up the ghost  :-[ (I accidently dropped causing damage to the screen) so I'm on the market for something a little bit more durable and ultimately more compatible with eCS.

I quite like the look of the new Lenovo ThinkPad X131e. It shares the same WiFi chipset (it has a Centrino Wireless N 2230) as the other recent ThinkPad models so hopefully if/when WiFi gets sorted out it will work. Crucially, the BIOS lets users USB 3.0 ports act as USB 2.0 ports as well.

I would like to have 8GB of RAM mainly for the benefit of Linux but I was wondering if this would cause any issues with eCS?

Less importantly, I know that eCS can use up to 4GB only but is there any long-term plan to support PAE?

Cheers,

Dan

miturbide

Hi Dan

I have a Thinkpad L420 with 6GB of RAM and eComStation 2.1 boots fine. One 4GB and one 2GB SO-DIMM DDR3 memory on it.

Sadly, there is not yet a driver for the wireless NIC (Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205) that this machine has.

The rest is fine, of course bluetooth, finger-reading and webcam are not working.
Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Open Source Advocate

Skype - martiniturbide
Google Talk - martiniturbide@gmail.com

danielnez1

Hi Martín,

Thank you for the information. Hopefully there will be network drivers at some point, I can live without bluetooth and the webcam.

Cheers,

Dan